Troubleshoot My PC is way too slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filip

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
May 13, 2015
Hello, when i turn on my pc it needs like 2 mins and 30 seconds to load up to desktop screen and the icons to be shown.

When my PC is turned on and i do a restart, it takes 5 minutes to restart and load the desktop.

I did a full PC scan with my Avas Free Antivirus and no viruses were found.

Can you guys please help me?

My PC used to turn on in less than 60 like a year and a half... now its 2 mins 30 seconds.

Attachments

• Addition.txt
    55.7 KB · Views: 406
  • FRST.txt
    43.5 KB · Views: 408

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
So this is a 100% software issue, could that be because of the drives which i updated back in 2018 ? :(

And that basically screwed up my PC? Or maybe cause i am using a HDD, but the HDD is 2 TB's and im using like 400 GB of total space.

Another quesiton, why is google chrome consuming so much CPU Memory and Disk according to the task manager??

Please answer to all of my questions before I do what nasqad said.
Believe it or not, but nobody can answer those questions if you don't try the solution provided by @nasdaq

Upvote 0

Filip

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
May 13, 2015
Also should the old school tricks for boosting up pc's speed work?

Like using the windows tools, defragment, error checking, deleting temporary files, disk cleanup and i forgot the others... :D

Regards!

You guys are not answering to my questions in full, only partial answers...

OK guys, lets conclude, what is the best solution at the moment?

Format my PC or buy a SSD and buy 8 GB of RAM memory to my current 8 so I can have 16 in total.

Thanks.

Reactions: Kongo
Upvote 0

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
You guys are not answering to my questions in full, only partial answers...

OK guys, lets conclude, what is the best solution at the moment?

Format my PC or buy a SSD and buy 8 GB of RAM memory to my current 8 so I can have 16 in total.

Thanks.
Normally I wouldn't recommend it, but maybe you could try enabling FastBoot. :unsure:

Upvote 0

Filip

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
May 13, 2015
Hello, Welcome to MalwareTips.
I'm nasdaq and will be helping you.

If you can please print this topic it will make it easier for you to follow the instructions and complete all of the necessary steps in the order listed.
===

Please download the attached Fixlist.txt file to the same folder where the Farbar tool is running from.
The location is listed in the 3rd line of the FRST.txt log you have submitted.

Run FRST and click Fix only once and wait.

The Computer will restart when the fix is completed.

It will create a log (Fixlog.txt) please post it to your reply.
===

Please post the Fixlog.txt and let me know what problem persists.

I am gonna do this after i get an answer.

Believe it or not, but nobody can answer those questions if you don't try the solution provided by @nasdaq

I didn't do that yet because i made a mistake in my forum thread name!!!

Like I said previously: " I am so sorry the title of this thread is sooo wrong, my pc is not slow, it takes a lot of time to BOOT UP !!! "

So my PC is not slow it just takes LOTS OF TIME to boot up.

Should I do test from nasdaq now or...?

Upvote 0

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
I am gonna do this after i get an answer.

I didn't do that yet because i made a mistake in my forum thread name!!!

Like I said previously: " I am so sorry the title of this thread is sooo wrong, my pc is not slow, it takes a lot of time to BOOT UP !!! "

So my PC is not slow it just takes LOTS OF TIME to boot up.

Should I do test from nasdaq now or...?
I mean if he didn't find any problems, he wouldn't have shared the fixlog. Maybe it helps after all.

Upvote 0

Filip

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
May 13, 2015
Hello, Welcome to MalwareTips.
I'm nasdaq and will be helping you.

If you can please print this topic it will make it easier for you to follow the instructions and complete all of the necessary steps in the order listed.
===

Please download the attached Fixlist.txt file to the same folder where the Farbar tool is running from.
The location is listed in the 3rd line of the FRST.txt log you have submitted.

Run FRST and click Fix only once and wait.

The Computer will restart when the fix is completed.

It will create a log (Fixlog.txt) please post it to your reply.
===

Please post the Fixlog.txt and let me know what problem persists.

Dear,

The fixing process took around 30 minutes, why was it that long?

Please find in attach the fixlog.txt file and see it.

Thank you.

Attachments

• Fixlog.txt
    40.1 KB · Views: 346
Upvote 0

Freud2004

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 26, 2020
Hello, when i turn on my pc it needs like 2 mins and 30 seconds to load up to desktop screen and the icons to be shown.

When my PC is turned on and i do a restart, it takes 5 minutes to restart and load the desktop.

I did a full PC scan with my Avas Free Antivirus and no viruses were found.

Can you guys please help me?

My PC used to turn on in less than 60 like a year and a half... now its 2 mins 30 seconds.

- First, avast out. I install avast in my mother computer, and it's a problem when the PC star, just uninstall go for Kaspersky cloud or bitdefender free:

- Second what you have in startup? Let's remove something.

- Third, search, type msconfig, show me what you have in the boot, see image:

1620205905686.png

-Fourth, lets see what is in the folder: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp

1620206034515.png

Sorry for my English

Upvote 0

Filip

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
May 13, 2015
Freud2004, as you saw in my previous posts and my screenshots you can clearly see that i uninstalled Avast yesterday and i installed Avast.

Kaspersky consumes a lot of PC resources like cpu, ram, disk and stuff so no thank you.

Nasdaq, after the test was done and I posted the file I did a restart, we have A VERY VERY VERY LITTLE IMPROVEMENT.

The PC took 3 minutes to load up all desktop icons and additional 54 seconds to open google chrome.

So basically from 4 mins 56 seconds we went to 3 mins and 54 seconds.

The desktop icons loaded pretty much faster than before tho and i opened the txt file according to the scan there were some corrupted files. :O

Please suggest what to do next.

Regards.

Upvote 0

Filip

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
May 13, 2015
I shut down my PC, i waited for 3 mins, then i turned it on and i waited 1 minute 01 seconds, then i waited an additional 15 seconds for google chrome to open.

Which makes it 1 minute and 16 seconds in total, a little improvement.

Upvote 0

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Freud2004, as you saw in my previous posts and my screenshots you can clearly see that i uninstalled Avast yesterday and i installed Avast.

Kaspersky consumes a lot of PC resources like cpu, ram, disk and stuff so no thank you.

Nasdaq, after the test was done and I posted the file I did a restart, we have A VERY VERY VERY LITTLE IMPROVEMENT.

The PC took 3 minutes to load up all desktop icons and additional 54 seconds to open google chrome.

So basically from 4 mins 56 seconds we went to 3 mins and 54 seconds.

The desktop icons loaded pretty much faster than before tho and i opened the txt file according to the scan there were some corrupted files. :O

Please suggest what to do next.

Regards.
Try opening the command prompt with admin rights. Then type sfc /scannow and press enter.
After the scan has finished type chkdsk with the name of your drives C: / E: for example and press enter. It should look like that for example: chkdsk C:

I also agree that you should check your startup and see which application slows down the boottime. You can do that with HiBit Startup Manager.

Upvote 0

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
You probably don't need 16GB of RAM, as your posts of Task Manager show RAM usage of around 40%. In your case, adding more RAM won't make your computer boost faster.
100% correct 8GB vs 16GB will not affect boot up time.

In terms of gaming performance 8GB vs 16GB will give a significant FPS increase in most cases.

Conclusion
If you want around 10sec boot up times get the SSD.
If you want more Fps in games as well get the extra 8GB of RAM

Upvote 0

Freud2004

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 26, 2020

Kaspersky consume CPU?

I recommend read more about that subject, this is KIS in my pc, see for your self:

1620208375347.png

Upvote 0

Filip

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
May 13, 2015
Try opening the command prompt with admin rights. Then type sfc /scannow and press enter.
After the scan has finished type chkdsk with the name of your drives C: / E: for example and press enter. It should look like that for example: chkdsk C:

I also agree that you should check your startup and see which application slows down the boottime. You can do that with HiBit Startup Manager.

Screenshots below from the command prompt with admin rights and from HitBit startup manager.

As you requested...

Attachments

• Chkdsk.png
    Chkdsk.png
    139.2 KB · Views: 333
  • chkdsk01.png
    chkdsk01.png
    144 KB · Views: 321
  • Startup.png
    Startup.png
    283.1 KB · Views: 325
  • Temperatures.png
    Temperatures.png
    241.2 KB · Views: 323
  • Temperatures01.png
    Temperatures01.png
    147.6 KB · Views: 322
  • Wow
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.