Troubleshoot My PC is way too slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filip

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
May 13, 2015
Hello, when i turn on my pc it needs like 2 mins and 30 seconds to load up to desktop screen and the icons to be shown.

When my PC is turned on and i do a restart, it takes 5 minutes to restart and load the desktop.

I did a full PC scan with my Avas Free Antivirus and no viruses were found.

Can you guys please help me?

My PC used to turn on in less than 60 like a year and a half... now its 2 mins 30 seconds.

Attachments

• Addition.txt
    55.7 KB · Views: 406
  • FRST.txt
    43.5 KB · Views: 408

Filip

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
May 13, 2015
Sorry, but if the new SSD is larger than your current disk C (199GB) a system engineer with a faculty diploma should be able to clone that to the new SSD.
Maybe because the problems you are having, he found it better to start over with a fresh Windows 10 install on your new SSD 🤔
I didn't tell him my problems, I just asked him how much would it cost me to mount the SSD, i never told him my problem.

But I dont want a fresh windows install, i have a lot of important files, images, videos, presentations and stuff....

Upvote 0

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I didn't tell him my problems, I just asked him how much would it cost me to mount the SSD, i never told him my problem.

But I dont want a fresh windows install, i have a lot of important files, images, videos, presentations and stuff....
I think the best option would be two drives: C (the new SSD) for Windows and your programs, D (existing 1,6TB HDD) for all your data (important files, images, videos, presentations and stuff). This is how I have setup my current laptop. This way you can do a clean install on C and keep your existing data.
More info on moving your user folders to another disk can be found here:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Filip

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
May 13, 2015
Guys, is it true that the PC games i have installed will not be on the HDD disk if i put a SSD ???

I have to reinstall them all over again?

I will transfer of all my games on Local Disk D and one of them is not installed like a program it is downloaded as a zip file and extracted.

Will that game be saved?

Reactions: Nevi
Upvote 0

cryogent

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2016
Dude, I have a total of 2 TB memory.
Local Disck C is 199 GB
Local Disk D is 1,6 TB
As you can see of my screenshots...

In total I have 425 GB used space from both discs combined. I want to buy SSD from a 512 GB's and put all the files and programs on the SSD and keep the 2 TB HDD drive empty for movies, music and stuff like that.

The guy which I bought the PC is a system engineer with a faculty diploma and he told me " most probably you can't clone your files to the SSD files "

He told me that all files from Local Disk C ( the main disc ) i should copy paste them to local disc D so he can make a clean windows on the SSD.
You don't have to be defensive, I saw the pictures and I don't want to doubt the qualities of that system engineer (but it also matters how you formulated what you want to happen with the data on the HDD) ... You can only clone the C partition on an SSD and after cloning you can copy the rest of the data on it even though those 425gb are more than alot of data for a 512gb SSD, which by the way are not fixed 512gb, maybe somewhere around 480gb-max 500gb are at the limit because an SSD needs about 30% -40% free.
Instead I would make a list of the steps you need to take, such as:
1- return to an older restore point.
2 - clean boot from msconfig.
3 - a new user
4 - test without internet connection - a wrong or corrupt driver can lead to a longer boot time
5 - testing memory sticks - sometimes a bad memory can lead to a longer boot time.
6 - HDD testing, but you did it.
7 - sfc / scannow
8 - a) dism / online / cleanup-image / checkhealth
b) dism / online / cleanup-image / restorehealth
9 - etc ...
And only then as a last resort, cloning on an SSD.
And as an idea, a boot time of 2 minutes for a classic HDD is not bad, and if at restart you have a longer boot time, it's all about the software / drivers, not the hardware.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Filip

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
May 13, 2015
Guys, is it true that the PC games i have installed will not be on the HDD disk if i put a SSD ???

I will transfer of all my games on Local Disk D and one of them is not installed like a program it is downloaded as a zip file and extracted.

Will that game be saved?

Reactions: Nevi
Upvote 0

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Generally speaking, you losse all your games and programs and have to install them again.
But it depends where you got your games from.
If you use Steam, the games will be reinstalled after you install Steam again.
It is best to speak about this with the person who will be installing the SSD for you.
Make an inventory of what you have installed now and discuss with him the best method for doing a backup and reinstalling those later.
Of course, we can help and advice, but we cannot do something directly for you.
Only you or your engineer can do that.

Upvote 0

vaccineboy

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Sep 5, 2018
It's up to you to believe me, a random anonymous guy on the internet, or in the experts who say cleaner/optimizer programs are only snake oil. I know those programs definitely work for me. I personally use Wise Care 365. I also use Process Lasso. In my low-end laptop at least, they clearly make an easily noticeable difference.
A nice thing in the pro version of Wise Care 365 is that it recommends which startup/service items that can be safely disabled. It would recommend you to turn off Adobe update service right off the bat, for example.

Both programs have trial period and also free versions. Try them.

Upvote 0

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I personally use Wise Care 365. I also use Process Lasso. In my low-end laptop at least, they clearly make an easily noticeable difference.
A nice thing in the pro version of Wise Care 365 is that it recommends which startup/service items that can be safely disabled. It would recommend you to turn off Adobe update service right off the bat, for example.
Yes they can help. But Process Lasso will have no effect on boot time and most likely Wise Care won't take minutes off the boot time.

Upvote 0

Filip

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
May 13, 2015
Yes they can help. But Process Lasso will have no effect on boot time and most likely Wise Care won't take minutes off the boot time.

Here is your answer regarding your request to make a Surface Test

I did a cancel cause i need my PC and i will start a new one before I go to bed.

No damaged, no bad and the scan lasted for 1 hour and 6 mins.

Attachments

• discscan.png
    discscan.png
    185 KB · Views: 328
Upvote 0

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
On slow computers I usually remove some useless windows components from the iso itself
including defender if the user has a hard drive or has less then 4gb ram and install a default deny security software like voodoo shield or comodo
Over something that consumes too many resources
I think you can find guides on debloating on (“my digital forum “)

Upvote 0

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Crystal Disk Info will provide much more rapid info on your hard drive, OP. If you can run that also and post the complete output, it's possible to learn if there are any health issues, including re-allocated sectors. How old is your drive? Has it been defragged recently? Open Start Menu and start typing Disk Optimization. Does the little window that comes up give a percentage?

Don't let the anime-laden pages fool you, I use this quite often, it's a serious and useful software. (y)

Crystal Disk Info

Apologies if I'm posting duplicate info--did scan thru these four pages but one never knows.

Upvote 0

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
Wise will just make the boot slower since it needs to unload itself at system startup XD
process lasso is a great tool in general but won’t affect boot time except the amount of time it takes to read / unload itself from the hard drive which causes more io usage at start up again

Upvote 0

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016

Will that game be saved?
Here is a guide how to move games to a different drive

Upvote 0

Filip

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
May 13, 2015
Crystal Disk Info will provide much more rapid info on your hard drive, OP. If you can run that also and post the complete output, it's possible to learn if there are any health issues, including re-allocated sectors. How old is your drive? Has it been defragged recently? Open Start Menu and start typing Disk Optimization. Does the little window that comes up give a percentage?

Don't let the anime-laden pages fool you, I use this quite often, it's a serious and useful software. (y)

Crystal Disk Info

Apologies if I'm posting duplicate info--did scan thru these four pages but one never knows.
I am using Hard Disk Sentinel?

Reactions: Nevi and Stopspying
Upvote 0

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
I am using Hard Disk Sentinel?
Hard Disk Sentinel and CrystalDiskInfo do very similar things, in my opinion it doesn't really matter which one you use to get information on the health of your drives.

Another alternative is HWiNFO - HWiNFO - Free System Information, Monitoring and Diagnostics

this monitors a lot more of your computer's components and does a similar job with drives as these other two programs.

Upvote 0

vaccineboy

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Sep 5, 2018
Man... Hard disk failure would be the last thing I would look at. And virus infection is actually not a common occurrence either.
But no virus and hard disk is fine here.
This is like fixing a thirst by cooking soup or eating a melon, instead of just drinking water.
Btw, some startup managers may not be thorough. I have never used hibit but it does not show some obvious culprits such as adobe and groove crap as seen in the screenshots.

Reactions: ZeePriest and Nevi
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.