Troubleshoot My PC is way too slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filip

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
May 13, 2015
Hello, when i turn on my pc it needs like 2 mins and 30 seconds to load up to desktop screen and the icons to be shown.

When my PC is turned on and i do a restart, it takes 5 minutes to restart and load the desktop.

I did a full PC scan with my Avas Free Antivirus and no viruses were found.

Can you guys please help me?

My PC used to turn on in less than 60 like a year and a half... now its 2 mins 30 seconds.

Attachments

• Addition.txt
    55.7 KB · Views: 406
  • FRST.txt
    43.5 KB · Views: 408

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Hard disk failure would be the last thing I would look at
Well, yeah on page one, it says the health is "excellent." Good. However, I'm going by this in the aborted HDSentinel scan. I ran HDS on a known bad HDD and these were actually showing as bad blocks. So, hopefully OP will upload the completed HDS scan. If the HDD is fine, that would be a boon.

hwsent.PNG

Crystal Disk Info is so fast, it's a second opinion. It can take seconds to get a clear reading. No harm in that! The machine is from 2012? OK, well you can check if the chipset and BIOS are fully updated to the extent they can be. I would go to the websites and not use Device Manager, it doesn't go online to check for drivers anymore. Not in Windows 10 2004 and later, that is.

If you breathe new life into your machine, an SSD is ideal. Don't follow bad advice and get a "cheap" one! Consider investing in a decent brand of 250 GB or more. Samsung, Western Digital, Crucial, AData are all decent brands with economical products.

People trying to help you, have an open mind. EDIT: did you say there's a second HDD in there? If so, just for testing, I would disconnect the second HDD and boot the machine then, to see if there's a difference.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Filip

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
May 13, 2015
Well, yeah on page one, it says the health is "excellent." Good. However, I'm going by this in the aborted HDSentinel scan. I ran HDS on a known bad HDD and these were actually showing as bad blocks. So, hopefully OP will upload the completed HDS scan. If the HDD is fine, that would be a boon.

View attachment 257786

Crystal Disk Info is so fast, it's a second opinion. It can take seconds to get a clear reading. No harm in that! At any rate, what are the full specs, it's a gaming machine? The machine is from 2012? OK, well you can check if the chipset and BIOS are fully updated to the extent they can be. I would go to the websites and not use Device Manager, it doesn't go online to check for drivers anymore. Not in Windows 10 2004 and later, that is.

If you breathe new life into your machine, an SSD is ideal. Don't follow bad advice and get a "cheap" one! Consider investing in a decent brand of 250 GB or more. Samsung, Western Digital, Crucial, AData are all decent brands with economical products.

People trying to help you, have an open mind.

What about kingston?

Reactions: Venustus and Nevi
Upvote 0

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
What about kingston?
I don't have personal hands-on experience with Kingston but it seems decent for the money according to several reviews. One can look around on the 'net for reviews but keep an eye on the dates--some are like over 3-4 years old, even older. Here's one that's relatively recent concerning one of its 2.5 inch SATA SSDs. :)

Upvote 0

Filip

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
May 13, 2015
Which SSD is better Kingston KC600 vs Kingston A400?

Samsung are the best ones but they are too expensive for me. :(

Reactions: Nevi
Upvote 0

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Crystal Disk Info will provide much more rapid info on your hard drive, OP.
Hard Disk Sentinel and Crystal Disk Info both read the SMART diagnostic from a hard drive instantly. However, HD Sentinel is far superior in my opinion, as it gives a clear report on the state of the hard drive, rather than just showing the SMART data. In this case HD Sentinel reported that the drive was fine, I just got him to run a surface scan to see if any sectors were slow to be read.
Here is your answer regarding your request to make a Surface Test
The dark green areas are sectors that took longer than they should to read. However, since based on your last post, it seems that boot times are normal for a hard drive and only the reboots are taking too long, these sectors are probably not the cause of the slowdowns.

Upvote 0

Filip

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
May 13, 2015
I did defragment the drive, Drive C was defragmented for 1 hour and 5 minutes.

Drive D was like 5 minutes.

System Reserve like 3 seconds.

How often should i defragment my hard disks and when?

For example 3 times every month per disk or once a week or...?

Upvote 0

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I turned it off, because i am doing it manually, once a month that is...
There's no reason to ever disable it. Defragging weekly, will not cause any more wear on a drive than defragging monthly. The longer the time between defragging, the more fragmented files there will be. So if you only defrag monthly, defrag times will be longer than if you do it weekly.

I recommend that you re-enable its scheduled task. If you do that, then most likely you'll never need to run a manual defrag.

Upvote 0

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Which SSD is better Kingston KC600 vs Kingston A400?

Samsung are the best ones but they are too expensive for me. :(

The A400 is good i also have Kingston but different model i dont remember which model i replaced HDD with the Kingston 480GB SSD on my laptop its really good, well if you dont have good money, would go with ADATA or Crucial or Kingston they are good SSDs and cheaper according to PCPartPicker these are 500GB. good luck...

Upvote 0

ZeePriest

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 2, 2020
The A400 is good i also have Kingston but different model i dont remember which model i replaced HDD with the Kingston 480GB SSD on my laptop its really good, well if you dont have good money, would go with ADATA or Crucial or Kingston they are good SSDs and cheaper according to PCPartPicker these are 500GB. good luck...
are these SSDs plug and play or do I have to do some mods?

Upvote 0

struppigel

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Apr 9, 2020
You are currently receiving help for this problem in two different threads in the same forum.
There are several issues I see and that @nasdaq tried to address. However, it's impossible for anyone to help you properly if you get advice by what feels like 20 different people in two different threads at the same time.

I am closing this thread now to prevent further potentially damaging advice.
Please open a thread here instead: Windows Malware Removal Help & Support
Post fresh FRST.txt and Addition.txt logs there. A trained helper will take your topic.
Your system was affected and also most likely damaged by PUP (potentially unwanted) software, so the forum fits.

Please do not open more topics about the same issue in other forums because trying different solutions at the same time will interfere with the advice you get by the helper.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.