Troubleshoot My PC's internet connection is acting weird

Deformity

Thread author
Apr 3, 2024
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Whenever I turn on the PC, the internet connection will drop after a couple of minutes, then remain offline for random periods of time, and then turn on again at random. Sometimes using Network Reset in Windows 10 settings gets it online again for a few minutes, then it drops again. I cannot find a pattern for these occurrences.
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
I called my ISP, they told me it might be a cable issue. I bought a new cable, the issue continued. It's not a cable issue. The Wi-Fi from the router works fine on my phone while the disconnect on the PC happens, so it's not related to the router. My ISP told me it's not on their end.
I installed Malwarebytes and did a full scan. It found and removed some PUPs, no viruses detected.
Your current Antivirus
Microsoft Defender
I am not knowledgeable enough to do a Window Reinstall.
My PC is around 12 years old.
Windows 10, 64 bit

Reactions: rashmi and Nevi

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
I am not knowledgeable enough to do a Window Reinstall.
My PC is around 12 years old.
Windows 10, 64 bit

It appears that you are experiencing intermittent internet connectivity issues on a Windows 10 PC. Since you have ruled out problems with your ISP and your router's Wi-Fi is working fine on other devices, the issue likely lies within your PC or its settings. Here are some steps that you can try to resolve the issue:

1. **Update Network Drivers**:
- Open Device Manager (you can search for it in the Start menu).
- Expand the "Network adapters" section.
- Right-click on your network adapter and select "Update driver".
- Choose "Search automatically for updated driver software" and follow the prompts.

2. **Check for Windows Updates**:
- Go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update.
- Click "Check for updates" and install any available updates.

3. **Disable Power Saving for Network Adapter**:
- Go back to Device Manager and Network adapters.
- Right-click on your network adapter and select "Properties".
- Go to the "Power Management" tab.
- Uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".
- Click OK.

4. **Run the Network Troubleshooter**:
- Go to Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot.
- Select "Internet Connections" and run the troubleshooter.

5. **Reset TCP/IP Stack**:
- Open Command Prompt as Administrator (search for "cmd", right-click, and select "Run as administrator").
- Type `netsh int ip reset` and press Enter.
- Type `netsh winsock reset` and press Enter.
- Restart your computer.

6. **Check for System File Corruption**:
- Open Command Prompt as Administrator.
- Type `sfc /scannow` and press Enter. Wait for the process to complete.

7. **Disable IPv6**:
- Go to Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Change adapter settings.
- Right-click your network connection and select "Properties".
- Uncheck the box next to "Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)".
- Click OK and restart your computer.

8. **Check for Hardware Issues**:
- If possible, try connecting your PC to the internet using a different network adapter. This could be a USB Wi-Fi adapter or a different Ethernet card. If the problem resolves, your current network adapter may be failing due to its age.

9. **Reset Network Settings**:
- You've mentioned using Network Reset, but it's worth trying again after performing the above steps. Go to Settings > Network & Internet > Status > Network reset.

10. **Create a New User Account**:
- Sometimes, issues can be related to a corrupted user profile.
- Go to Settings > Accounts > Family & other users.
- Click "Add someone else to this PC" and follow the prompts to create a new user account.

11. **Check for Malware Again**:
- Run another thorough scan with Malwarebytes.
- Consider using another antivirus tool to get a second opinion.

If none of these steps resolve the issue, you might consider backing up your data and performing a clean installation of Windows 10. Since you mentioned that you are not comfortable doing this yourself, it might be worth reaching out to a professional or a knowledgeable friend to assist you. A fresh install can often resolve persistent issues, especially on an older system that may have accumulated various software conflicts over the years.

Upvote 0

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
1. Make a bootable usb of Ubuntu/fedora and boot from it and run it without installing anything. See if the network connection is stable or not. If your network connection is stable on Ubuntu/fedora live usb, then it might be a driver conflict issue in windows. You can try a windows reinstall.

2. Clean your terminals on both ends using a WD 40 contact cleaner ( do not use the regular WD 40) or use iso propyl alcohol.
3. If you have made any changes in your router recently, make sure that all settings are in default mode, especially settings related to DHCP renewal time.
4. Make sure that there is no ip address conflicts in your home network.
5. If you happen to have a spare router/ switch try connecting your pc using the spare router to see whether the issue gets reproduced.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Deformity

Thread author
Apr 3, 2024
A few questions if you will.

At what point do you recall the slow speeds starting to occur, was there anything added/downloaded to the system at the time.
What "pups" were detected with Malwarebytes, you should be able to view this in the history section.
What slow speeds? There are no slow speeds. The internet just randomly disconnects a few minutes after Windows starts, then reconnects again at random. Sometimes it takes an hour, other times it takes minutes.
The PUPs were related to a particular software I had used in the past. They were unrelated to internet connection.

Sorry, @Brahman , but you're speaking a foreign language for me. I have no idea what those things mean.

Reactions: Dave Russo
Upvote 0
Mar 10, 2024
Could you link me a tutorial on how to do that, please?

If this does not help I would suggest a file system check to see if there is file corruption.

Up above bot actually left you the best advice one could need for troubleshooting this issues.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Deformity

Thread author
Apr 3, 2024

If this does not help I would suggest a file system check to see if there is file corruption.

Up above bot actually left you the best advice one could need for troubleshooting this issues.
I did that. It said it found some errors and fixed them, but the problem remains.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.