jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
IM: Yahoo Messenger, Skype & Facebook Messenger

Rooted: Yes

This is my new phone android version and I'm barely installed lots of apps designed for calling and browsing using the wifi on my home. Likely Facebook, Twitter and forum as possible.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
RE: My Samsung GT-55360 Config

Since you are a new android user, you can read this article: http://removefakeav.com/category/avoid-infections/
+1 for using common sense :)
For your notice android phones do have phone number blacklisting. Just go to call settings and then to call rejection or something similar. :D

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

Thanks for the link, generally I didn't ticked on for unknown files to be download from 3rd party.

And likely I will just choose a game from Google Play if need.

Still familiarizing on its interface so hopefully it could take a small time.

:D

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011

You'll get used to it in a few days, it's quite easy. :)
And you have got the right phone for being cheap and can do basic tasks. ;)
I think you misspelled the phone's model isn't it? I guess its model is S5360. You can check that by going to Settings>About Phone and your model will be listed there.

Have you got an anti-theft app? You can get something like Lookout (for me it is available in Saudi - I can download it now from android market) but disable the antivirus since you don't need it.
I have some free time. I will test its anti-theft and get back with the results.

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Yes that model number is correct I just made a minor mistake there :),

I will follow your recommendation there for anti theft for Lookout version.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
If you're looking for an excellent Anti-theft app, You must give Cerberus a go, I'm pretty sure it has a 7 day trial. There was a lifetime giveaway here not long ago but it's ended. None the less the app is not pricey, (Google Play page lists 2.99€) and it's well worth the peace of mind. You can also have 5 devices on the one account.

Here is the product page on Google Play with description : http://goo.gl/VI0Ei

A video overview : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkJ8jeWb0V0

A screenshot of my Cerberus control panel : http://i.imgur.com/MHKnF.jpg

If I can't find my phone around the home, I simply use Cerberus to start an alarm sound and I find it right away. Saves 20 mins of tearing the house apart trying to find it. One of my main reasons for using it ha. :)

Avast for Android also has an anti-theft module built in but I have not used it.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
I know about how good is Cerberus, but even for a cheap price I wasn't going to get it since I am lazy to buy using credit cards. :D
But at least Lookout comes with the basic features.

I have given it a try, here is the story: :D

1) Here is the home page, mylookout.com :
JgXmU.jpg

2) Here is the login page, after creating my account from the android app:
8wmRu.png

3) Here is the dashboard:
rznfd.png

Note that the device was automatically added to the list of devices to be protected.

4) Now here is to find the missing phone:
i7N9C.png

5) Clicking on Locate helped me to successfully find my phone's location. As you can see, you can zoom in and out and to switch views (Map/Satellite). I also tried to sound an alarm, which worked even when the phone was in Silent Mode. The alarm is quite loud, which turns off after a minute from its start. You can stop it by turning down the volume or switching off the phone (if turning down the volume and the setting to vibrate while ringing is enabled, it will continue vibrating until the alarm stops). After turning down the volume, I tried to see if it starts the alarm with sound again and that worked without a problem. I don't know if the results vary from device to device.
JNOto.png

:)

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
From some recent news before, feature from anti-theft managed to detect the lost cellphone from unwanted person from map and result for easier investigation.

Overall I'm pleased with my new cellphone.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
You could also add Avast and or Trend Micro. As Avast has the firewall feature that you can use if your phone is rooted, but if not you will not get the firewall feature. Trend Micro because you have also got the Scream feature and the lock feature.

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
My older brother told to me that rooting a phone could take a long process.

But if I have a plans for it why not so that some application I could install will work too.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Also if you do root a phone you get the advantage of uninstalling the phone applications.

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Oh, well for the meantime gonna used for pretty basic task likely my importance was a communication and Wi fi connectivity :D.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
Not at all, rooting takes only a few minutes but you should be careful as it voids the warranty. Also make sure that all your data is backed up.

When you unlock your phone, have you set any password or a pattern?

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I'm planned on putting a password to avoid any untoward using of my cellphone

muhammadariif

Aug 3, 2011
@WinAndLinuxTutorials, thank you for share the useful application, before this , I do not know the presence of such application in Google Play :D

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
You are welcome. :) There are many applications with the same function available from AVG, Avast, Avira, etc. for free. But Lookout is also good. ;) A paid but cheap and full-featured one would be Cerberus from LSDroid.

muhammadariif

Aug 3, 2011
WinAndLinuxTutorials said:
You are welcome. :) There are many applications with the same function available from AVG, Avast, Avira, etc. for free. But Lookout is also good. ;) A paid but cheap and full-featured one would be Cerberus from LSDroid.
The main purpose i tried this application because , the missing device function, not because the antivirus found in it ;) but it functions well for my protection android.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
Sorry for not explaining it clearly. The other vendors mentioned in my previous post have the function to find a missing device.

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Update: My Android went successfully on the rooting process so its clearly to be void on the warranty, fortunately no brick happened.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.