Status
Not open for further replies.

MrExplorer

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
My OS: Android 4
i had buyed a new Samsung Galaxy S3. Please Suggest any security product for Phone. i don't have any idea of security in phone.

Which one is more Better?
1. Avast
2. Bitdefender
3. Mcaffe
4. ESET
5. F-Secure
6. Kaspersky
7. Lookout
8. Webroot
9. Sophos
10.TrendMicro
11.TrustGo
12.Ikarus
13.Qihoo
Others also you may know

Reactions: Logethica

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
For a free version I would go for Avast and I say Avast for free because if you root your phone you are able to use the firewall feature of Avast. For a paid AV I would go with Trend Micro, has everything that you need for a phone, call blocker, text blocker, GPS location and more.

MrExplorer

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
McLovin said:
For a free version I would go for Avast and I say Avast for free because if you root your phone you are able to use the firewall feature of Avast. For a paid AV I would go with Trend Micro, has everything that you need for a phone, call blocker, text blocker, GPS location and more.

Thanks for suggestion i will finalise my anwser after reading all other replies

Reactions: Logethica

mercurial

Level 6
Oct 3, 2012
I have used all the above and have found Avast to be the best choice. Why? from what i've seen, it;s light on the system, good detection, not heavy on the battery, loads of features which other only have in their paid product :)

mercurial

Level 6
Oct 3, 2012
You should be fine, with avast itself, no that the other's are not good or anything. It's just that it's free and offers a lot o other utilities, you could try other if u want though why pay? when you get the same features free of cost. Not to mention if you ever root the phone at a future date the program also has a firewall which can be used an application cntroller.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I would recommend LookOut (Free/Paid) and VirusTotal
https://www.lookout.com/
https://www.virustotal.com/documentation/mobile-device-applications/

Again, be wise when choosing and installing "Apps".

D

Deleted member 178

Android is a linux based OS, by security phone vendors limit access to admistrative/critical areas from the users so they cant damage the phone.

When you root a phone, you remove those limitations and get full access of the OS, allowing you to tweak it. (changing the Rom and appearance, cpu/ram settings,. updating the OS, etc...)

the risk is to "brick" the phone, making it unusable anymore.

Avast need to be in rooted phone to allow you to use the FW (that block unwanted outbound connections from apps) and advanced Anti-theft features.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I have an S3 Non rooted.Think of rooting an android phone similar to jailbreaking an iPhone but as Umbra said rooting an android phone is a bit more involved than the jailbreak on iPhone which is quite easy.I have tried Avast as well as Eset with a 90 day key and also tried Lookout but I have been using Comodo which is free,for quite some time now.Comodo for a free app is packed with features.I would suggest giving Comodo a try.Some of the better Free ones not mentioned are:

Dr.Web Anti-virus Light

Kaspersky Mobile Security Lite

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
I too say AVAST. I am not saying it is anywhere near the best for your application needs, but it is free, and is a really good option considering Avast's reputation, and the fact that it is zero cost. It is what I recommend to everyone for their phones, when practicable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.