My security configuration :D

vrb93

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2014
Dual boot Linux/Windows, i mainly use Lubuntu for surfing, and Windows only for gaming and others :D

No Real Time AV module installed,
Just a weekly scan with one random of the following scanner:
[MBAM Free - HitmanPro - DrWeb CureIt! - Eset Online Scanner]
(yeah, random, that's funny) :D

I'm using Chromium browser (not GoogleChrome), and receiving continues daily updates and fixes through "Chromium Auto-Updater v1.8". :)

Other installed Software:
-CCleaner
-Foxit PDF Reader
-7zip
-Spotify
-InfraRecorder
-LibreOffice
-Skype.

Suggestions or opinions are welcome! ;)

Last edited:

vrb93

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2014
I suggest you to install an antivirus ASAP. :)

I just dont need a real time AV :)
I use windows only for gaming, and rarely to surf internet, so i can keep my OS clean, fast and performing ;)
I'm doing the 90% of my activities on linux, except gaming, and that's enough to keep my laptop clean :D
I never plug in windows any usb device, never download any 'risky' software, never install programs that i can run on linux (essentially all my needs are satisfied by linux software) :D

Just dont need a real time av, and want to keep my windows as light as i can :cool:

D

Deleted member 21043

I use windows only for gaming, and rarely to surf internet, so i can keep my OS clean, fast and performing ;)
I'm doing the 90% of my activities on linux, except gaming, and that's enough to keep my laptop clean :D
I never plug in windows any usb device, never download any 'risky' software, never install programs that i can run on linux (essentially all my needs are satisfied by linux software) :D

Just dont need a real time av, and want to keep my windows as light as i can :cool:
I take it your on Linux now, then.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013

Just dont need a real time av, and want to keep my windows as light as i can:cool:

Well said!:) So begins the New Debian Age...:p

Does 'Just dont need a real time av, and want to keep my windows as light as i can:cool:'
also exclude Windows...:oops:(oops!) I meant Microsoft Security Essentials if it's already built it?:rolleyes:
PSsst *whispers: It's what we use on our Windows 7.:cool:

Reactions: vrb93
D

Deleted member 21043

Dual boot Linux/Windows, i mainly use Lubuntu for surfing, and Windows only for gaming and others :D

No Real Time AV module installed,
Just a weekly scan with one random of the following scanner:
[MBAM Free - HitmanPro - DrWeb CureIt! - Eset Online Scanner]
(yeah, random, that's funny) :D

I'm using Chromium browser (not GoogleChrome), and receiving continues daily updates and fixes through "Chromium Auto-Updater v1.8". :)

Other installed Software:
-CCleaner
-Foxit PDF Reader
-7zip
-Spotify
-InfraRecorder
-LibreOffice
-Skype.

Suggestions or opinions are welcome! ;)
Foxit PDF Reader any good? I currently just stick to Adobe Reader considering its a lot more well known and trusted. Not that I ever download PDFs? Lol.

Reactions: vrb93

vrb93

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Jan 15, 2014
I dont like to use AdobeReader for its vulnerabilities and because it's much heavier compared to other alternatives.
You can try SumatraPDF that's a very light pdf viewer, or Foxit too, but keep in mind that its latest versions are bundled with PUPs in the setup, so be careful.

I suggest you Sumatra, let me know your experience with it! :)

D

Deleted member 21043

I dont like to use AdobeReader for its vulnerabilities and because it's much heavier compared to other alternatives.
You can try SumatraPDF that's a very light pdf viewer, or Foxit too, but keep in mind that its latest versions are bundled with PUPs in the setup, so be careful.

I suggest you Sumatra, let me know your experience with it! :)
Okay. Next time I need to open a PDF I know to use Sumatra, but I rarely use PDF's so.. xD

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.