Not open for further replies.

Malware Maniac

Level 1
May 14, 2012
RE: My setup

freedom said:
Browser(s): For personal reasons, I do not browse the web from my computer. (I
also have not net connection much of the time.) To look at page I
send mail to a demon which runs wget and mails the page back to me.
It is very efficient use of my time, but it is slow in real time.

Then how are you accessing MalwareTips? I'm not understanding what you just said.

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011

@Malware Maniac 'I do however use Icecat to go on websites such as this site.'
Your level of security risk is way too high for a GNU/Linux user.
You don't really need an antivirus for linux, but Comodo offer one if it'll put your mind at ease.

pcjunklist

Level 1
Dec 28, 2011

doesn't really sound logical. If I had to do that I wouldn't go on the internet.

freedom

Thread author
Jun 25, 2012

Malware Maniac said:
Then how are you accessing MalwareTips? I'm not understanding what you just said.

I updated my post, re-read it please.

elliotcroft said:
You don't really need an antivirus for linux, but Comodo offer one if it'll put your mind at ease.

No, everybody making proprietary software is out to get you. Also Comodo is proprietary software and is malware itself. All proprietary software is malicious software.

pcjunklist

Level 1
Dec 28, 2011

1984 anyone? Don't look out your windows right now there is a black van with a large antennae.

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011

freedom said:
Malware Maniac said:

elliotcroft said:

No, everybody making proprietary software is out to get you. Also Comodo is proprietary software and is malware itself. All proprietary software is malicious software.
ClamAV?
I managed to use GNU/Linux without tearing my hair out over propriety software.
I used and still use Opera as my web browser, by the way.

Malware Maniac

Level 1
May 14, 2012

No, If the Anti-Malware makers were making malicious software then people wouldn't trust them. They are making software that doesn't infect your computer (Rogues will do that though).

freedom

Thread author
Jun 25, 2012

pcjunklist said:
1984 anyone? Don't look out your windows right now there is a black van with a large antennae.

Value your freedom or you will lose it, teaches history. "Don't bother us with politics," respond those who don't want to learn.

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011

freedom said:
pcjunklist said:

Value your freedom or you will lose it, teaches history. "Don't bother us with politics," respond those who don't want to learn.
I still think that people should be allowed to have a profitable business without being the work of the devil.

freedom

Thread author
Jun 25, 2012

Malware Maniac said:
No, If the Anti-Malware makers were making malicious software then people wouldn't trust them. They are making software that doesn't infect your computer (Rogues will do that though).

Proprietary software is a way to control the user. One does not have the freedom to modify or redistrubute the software, one cannot tell if the software is spying on the user or not due to the fact you cannot look at the code.

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011

freedom said:
Malware Maniac said:

Proprietary software is a way to control the user. One does not have the freedom to modify or redistrubute the software, one cannot tell if the software is spying on the user or not due to the fact you cannot look at the code.
I find that trust allows me to go without having to look at source code to know something isn't malware.

freedom

Thread author
Jun 25, 2012

Even so, I do not believe in intellectual property. Software should be open for all.

Malware Maniac

Level 1
May 14, 2012

freedom said:
Even so, I do not believe in intellectual property. Software should be open for all.

Well if you made a piece of software that you thought would help people and wanted to sell it then would you give them the coding that could potentially put you out of business to them?

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011

freedom said:
How are people going to make a living should software be open for all?
What are you using to go on Malware Tips?
How much did you pay for it?

freedom

Thread author
Jun 25, 2012

You can buy GPL licensed software if you wanted. It is free to be redistrubuted however you wish. As long as it is under these terms. No more, no less.

The freedom to run the program, for any purpose (freedom 0).

The freedom to study how the program works, and change it so it does your computing as you wish (freedom 1).

Access to the source code is a precondition for this.
The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor (freedom 2).

The freedom to distribute copies of your modified versions to others (freedom 3). By doing this you can give the whole community a chance to benefit from your changes. Access to the source code is a precondition for this.

Dejan

Mar 3, 2011

elliotcroft said:
freedom said:

Well considering he is using GNU/Linux and a free web browser, he did not pay anything. Unless you mean the computer, but that would be hardware not software, making your question invalid.

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011

Dejan said:
elliotcroft said:
freedom said:

Well considering he is using GNU/Linux and a free web browser, he did not pay anything. Unless you mean the computer, but that would be hardware not software, making your question invalid.
But this also conflicts with another of his posts, in which he said:
freedom said:
I refuse to have a cell phone because they are tracking and surveillance devices. They all enable the phone system to record where the user goes, and many (perhaps all) can be remotely converted into listening devices.

In addition, most of them are computers with nonfree software installed. Even if they don't allow the user to replace the software, someone else can replace it remotely. Since the software can be changed, we cannot regard it as equivalent to a circuit. A machine that allows installation of software is a computer, and computers should run free software.

When I need to call someone, I ask someone nearby to let me make a call.
Which implies that this extends past software and into hardware as well.

Z

ZeroDay

freedom said:
Malware Maniac said:

elliotcroft said:

CooKoo!

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
Since freedom has been banned (Not literally, though.), This thread will be locked.
I'll keep it up as an archive, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.