My Setup!

Nithin

Thread author
Jan 17, 2014
Looking forward to tips to increase security of my system. not sure if the av i'm currently using good enough either, need some tips on that too. Thank you

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Some sort of Backup.On demand scanner such as Malwarebytes Free and or Hitman Pro.Chrome extensions such as WOT,HTTPS Everywhere and a password manager,such as LastPass, if you don't have one already.

Thanks for sharing your Config :)

I

illumination

I have not personally tried this software. Although i see it says it has triple engines "one being "bitdefender" which one would think would be good enough. On windows 8.1, you have extra security measure built in with smart screen, if you utilize the UAC as well as a standard account, you could use just about any AV and have a decent set up "of course this would also include the use of the ole head as well"...

Im not to sure about this boast on 360's home page
Complete protection trusted by 465,000,000 users worldwide.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Thank you for your config. your 8.1 system's similar to my own, :) and I'm considering trying your Chrome browser. My opinion, gleaned from Wise Ones here on MT, is the built in User Activated Control (& the Windows Defender & Firewall) offer enough protection, THAT and using (as illumination mentioned) "...the ole head as well"!:D On (2) other systems, we've used 1) Malwarebytes free on a windows 7 system, & 2) HitmanPro free on an older XP, both with good results (in particular the HitmanPro). Be sure to back up your files first. In addition to the Chrome extensions recommended, Ghostery smoothly blocks advertising, analytics, beacons, privacy, & widget trackers, & it's also available on Chrome. Sandboxie is a remarkable containment protection. Version 4.06 is on 2 of the older home computers, & I await (patiently, I think..:rolleyes:) their beta version 4.07.05 (with fixed functionality for Win 8.1) to graduate as their next version. What kind of malware problem did you have before?

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.