Solved my wife's laptop died

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merebear1101

Thread author
Verified
Jan 16, 2013
I don't know what happened but it rebooted then I gotten a message it said a disk read error occurred press ctrl+alt +del to restart
I don't know what to do. Please help me.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
Hard drive could be bad, but that is the lazy response.

Any way that her BIOS settings have been altered (boot settings)?

Upvote 0

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Usually this is a sign of hard drive failure,when you reboot does it try to start windows or just a BSOD with an error or a black screen with an error and if so what is the error.Do you get an error like unmountable boot drive

How old is the Laptop?

What Kind of Laptop?

What Operating system 32 or 64 bit?

Can you access the bios or boot options?

What does it do when you reboot?

What were the events leading up to this? Such as Installed something new,uninstalled something,browsing the web,ect.

Some specifics will make it easier for someone to help you

Upvote 0

Merebear1101

Thread author
Verified
Jan 16, 2013
exterminator20 said:
How old is the Laptop? 12yrs.

What Kind of Laptop? Hp

What Operating system 32 or 64 bit?
Can you access the bios or boot options?
Yes I can go the boot system
What does it do when you reboot?
It give me the same message
What were the events leading up to this? Such as Installed something new,uninstalled something,browsing the web,ect. I was browsing on the web. Then it started reboot itself then I gotten that message

Some specifics will make it easier for someone to help you

Upvote 0

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
when you reboot is it a black screen or the BSOD{ blue screen of death}and is it always the same error or do you get another error like unmountable boot drive or another error.Have you tried changing the boot options to boot from the dvd drive and tried booting with a windows installation disc and doing a repair.

It is a pretty old Laptop what OS XP,Vista,7?

You could find a disk check utility that is usually run from BIOS or a boot disk from either your manufacturer or I know Leveno and Seagate have them that work for most drives.This will tell you if the Drive is bad.

If the drive is not bad it could be a communication problem between mobo bios processor and HDD due to excessive heat which can be due to old thermal paste and heat sink is not seated right

Upvote 0

Merebear1101

Thread author
Verified
Jan 16, 2013
exterminator20 said:
when you reboot is it a black screen or the BSOD{ blue screen of death}and is it always the same error or do you get another error like unmountable boot drive or another error.Have you tried changing the boot options to boot from the dvd drive and tried booting with a windows installation disc and doing a repair.

I get a black screen. I don't if she has the windows XP disk. I would like to fix it for her but it is her laptop.

Upvote 0

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Ahhhhhhh ok.Well if your not going to fix it is she? I guess you could always buy her a new one

Upvote 0

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
I have gotten black screens, at boot time, in the past that were a result of having CD/DVD/USB, etc. of some type interferring with normal boot procedure.

Make sure ALL of your DVD/CD trays (and anything else attached that may try to run at boot time) are empty and try again.

Also, try leaving the laptop off for a while before you attempt to reboot it. Pull the battery too, and put it back in.

Upvote 0

softwareFREEk

Level 1
Verified
Dec 27, 2012
10 common reasons why Windows crashes?

in no particular order
  1. Bad Memory Or Motherboard
  2. BIOS Settings
  3. Corrupt Registry
  4. Virus Or Trojan
  5. Hard Drive Problems
  6. Hardware Conflicts
  7. Power issues
  8. Incorrect Or Corrupt Drivers
  9. Software
  10. Overheating

Edit:
Read more: Source

Upvote 0

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
A laptop can be a pretty hostile environment for any hardware installed, esp. if it is left in a car during the summer with the car windows up. That is how my cousin cooked his with one try.

Upvote 0

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
The laptop is 12 years old? so it was made in 2001 before Windows XP?

That is much older then the basic lifespan, time to buy a new one.
It is too old to waste money on repairs, it would be much cheaper to buy a new one.

Thanks.:D

Upvote 0

Fiery

Level 1
Jan 11, 2011
It's a pretty old laptop..

Can you access the Windows XP Recovery Console? If so, you can try typing the following in the recovery console after each process has been done

chkdsk /r
fixboot c:
fixmbr

Upvote 0

Merebear1101

Thread author
Verified
Jan 16, 2013
Thank you for all your help. My wife checked it out last night. She said the hard drive finally died. She knew it was matter of time. Now we have to save up our money and get a new one. I am so thankful that I have my smartphone.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.