My Win 10 customization - Experts suggestion needed.

• Thread starter Deleted member 2913
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
I have customized my Win 10. Experts suggestion needed if any customization will break any critical & important things.

Win 10 64 fresh install

Settings customization.
System
Notifications & actions---
Show me tips about Windows - Off
Show notifications from these apps---
Microsoft OneDrive - Off
Offline maps---
Automatically update maps - Off

Devices---
AutoPlay - Off

Network & Internet---
Wi-Fi---
Manage Wi-Fi settings - Wi-Fi Sense - Off

Personalization---
Start---
Occasionally show suggestions in start - Off

Time & Language---
Region & language---
Country or region - India

Privacy---
General---
Let apps use my advertising ID for experiences across apps - Off
Let websites provide locally relevant content by accessing my language list - Off
Location---
Location - Off
Camera - Off
Microphone - Off
Speech, Inking & Typing - Off
Account - Off
Contacts - Off
Calendar - Off
Messaging - Off
Radios - Off

Other devices---
Sync with devices - Off
Storage Media - Off
Feedback & diagnostics---
Windows should ask for my feedback - Never
Send your device data to Microsoft - Basic
Background Apps - All Off

Update & Security---
Windows Update---
Advanced options - Choose how updates are delivered - Updates from more than one place - Off

Cortana Settings---
Cortana isn't supported in the region & language you have selected - Off - This is Off coz I have selected the region India in the settings or Cortana is yet not available in India?
Search online & include web results - Off

Uninstalled all pre-installed apps those have uninstall option on apps right-click.
OneDrive - right-click uninstall option doesn't uninstall OD.
Optional Features - Still deciding to uninstall or not?

Running Comodo Internet Security Suite Defaults (FW set to ask for Unknown)
Win FW disabled
Win Defender disabled
Win Smart Screen disabled

Currently I have customized this much.
I will add further customization here.

Any suggestion why I should enable/on anything mentioned above?

Any suggestion/customization or enable/disable other features/options not mentioned here?

Currently I have local account only.
Yet I have not logged into Microsoft account - Any suggestions & info on this are welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
None of the customization settings you applied will break anything.
On a side note, as I am the only one using this system, I do not use local account.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well just turn off in related tracking option (which you did it already) and leave the Smartscreen protection on + just keep on eye from the updates that are trying to download immediately you need to download the tool provided by Microsoft to hide based on your preferences.

Overall everything are good to go.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Well just turn off in related tracking option (which you did it already) and leave the Smartscreen protection on + just keep on eye from the updates that are trying to download immediately you need to download the tool provided by Microsoft to hide based on your preferences.

Overall everything are good to go.
I guess that tool is more helpful to hide any updates that gave probs i.e after Windows updated.
To hide any updates beforehand you need to check WU frequently as WU are automatic & no other options, right?

Reactions: Logethica

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@yesnoo Well as you check the updates and its starting to download, you have the right to stop by using that tool to review for the meantime. ;)

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
@yesnoo Well as you check the updates and its starting to download, you have the right to stop by using that tool to review for the meantime. ;)
Its a shared system with average users so that tool would not be of much use for me.
Wish that tool offered options like manual update, program update, apps update, etc...

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
View your update history shows---
Uninstall latest preview build
I never installed any preview builds. Do you guys have the same i.e Uninstall latest preview build (Users who never installed any preview builds)?

Updates Advanced Options shows---
Get Insider Builds - Do you guys have the same i.e Get Insider Builds (Users who never installed any insider builds)?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@yesnoo : Yes I saw that insider builds from update settings, probably they didn't remove yet as they primarily focus on bug fixes, since RTM and official flagship are totally same to each other.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Storage Media & Background All Apps - Off.
1st post updated. Update reflects with bold & italic letters.

kmr1684

Level 3
Verified
Jun 23, 2014
View your update history shows---
Uninstall latest preview build
I never installed any preview builds. Do you guys have the same i.e Uninstall latest preview build (Users who never installed any preview builds)?

Updates Advanced Options shows---
Get Insider Builds - Do you guys have the same i.e Get Insider Builds (Users who never installed any insider builds)?
hi if my memory servers correctly ,do not try to enable insider preview download it will download the beta updates for the win 10, becoz they already mentioned that os will be developed every day so who enable to install the insider preview build those will get the ongoing beta update, so those will always stay in the beta testing phase i think

Tani

Level 9
Verified
Nov 25, 2014
people, get skype, get office & such extra apps (except mail, music, photos, news & such useful apps)

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
I am going to remove get skype/office, etc...

I am thinking of Privacy - Camera, Microphone, Messages, etc... to set to Off as I think these options especially Camera & Microphone doesn't affect IM services that I have installed on the system & use i.e Skype & Yahoo Messenger. I am thinking of either disabling globally i.e that disables for all apps or per apps basis, what you guys suggest?

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
More customization added in the 1st post.
Bold/Italic reflects new/added customization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.