CPU
Intel Kaby Lake Core i7-7700K 4.20Ghz 14nm
NOCTUA NH-D9L CPU Cooler (single fan)
GPU
Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 AERO OC 8GB GDDR6
RAM
2 x Crucial 8GB 2400 DDR4 (CL17)
Storage
1 x 500GB Samsung SSD 750 EVO (Windows OS)
1 x 500GB Samsung SSD 870 EVO (Gaming Installs)
1 x 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA 6Gb/s 64MB 5900rpm (User Data)
(2TB & 4TB 7200rpm Drives on hand to upgrade user data drive)
PSU
Thermaltake 750W
Case
SilverStone Temjin TJ06 (black)
Monitor
1 x DELL S2721QS 4K 3840 x 2160
1 x DELL S2721DS QHD 2560 x 1440
Keyboard and Mouse
Cooler Master CK550 RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
Logitech M150 3-Button (wireless) Mouse
Razer Copperhead 7-Button Green (wired) Mouse
Accessories
QNAP TS-421 NAS (12TB RAID5)
QNAP HS-453DX NAS (4TB RAID1)
My computer protection

Mycenius

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 20, 2024
My current primary Desktop PC for home and occasional business use (mounted in a classic black SilverStone Temjin TJ06 case) as of when I upgraded graphics card to support playing Baldur's Gate 3 and OS from Windows 10 Pro to Windows 11 Pro. This is a custom/bespoke build that I have upgraded partially or fully (incl. original build) 5 times since ~2006.

Looking to prolong the life of this unit for a while if I can (3-5 years - is that expecting too much?), now I have done an upgrade (new GPU, more RAM, Win 11). Don't do overly intense gaming (BG3 is the most modern game I run at present) and otherwise largely general day to day stuff and a little photo editing, etc...

Last edited:

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
My current primary Desktop PC for home and occasional business use (mounted in a classic black SilverStone Temjin TJ06 case) as of when I upgraded graphics card to support playing Baldur's Gate 3 and OS from Windows 10 Pro to Windows 11 Pro. This is a custom/bespoke build that I have upgraded partially or fully (incl. original build) 5 times since ~2006.

Looking to prolong the life of this unit for a while if I can (3-5 years - is that expecting too much?), now I have done an upgrade (new GPU, more RAM, Win 11). Don't do overly intense gaming (BG3 is the most modern game I run at present) and otherwise largely general day to day stuff and a little photo editing, etc...

Hi there,

You've put together a robust custom PC build that balances gaming performance with the versatility for home and business use. Here's a breakdown of your components and some feedback:

Motherboard: The Gigabyte H110M-S2H-CF is a solid choice for a build like this. However, it's worth noting that it's based on an older chipset that may limit future upgrade paths for your CPU and RAM.

CPU: The Intel Core i7-7700K is a previous-generation Kaby Lake processor. While not the latest, it still holds up well for gaming and general use. Its 4 cores and 8 threads are decent for multitasking and productivity tasks.

CPU Cooler: NOCTUA NH-D9L is a reliable cooler known for its excellent cooling performance and low noise levels, which is great for both gaming and a quiet office environment.

GPU: The Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 AERO OC should handle 4K gaming well, offering good frame rates at high settings. It's a future-proof choice that should serve you well for several years.

RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) is sufficient for gaming and most productivity tasks. However, for more resource-intensive applications or multitasking, you might consider upgrading to 32GB in the future.

Storage: Your SSD configuration is good, with a dedicated SSD for the OS and one for gaming. The dual 2TB HDDs for user data provide ample space but are limited by their 5900rpm speed. For faster data access, you might consider upgrading to 7200rpm drives or additional SSDs in the future.

PSU: A 750W power supply from Thermaltake should provide enough headroom for your components, even with overclocking.

Case: The SilverStone Temjin TJ06 is a classic choice with good airflow and expansion options. It's more than capable of housing your current setup.

Monitors: The DELL S2721QS 4K and S2721DS QHD are excellent choices for high-resolution gaming and productivity, providing sharp images and good color accuracy.

Keyboard and Mouse: The Cooler Master CK550 RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard and the selection of mice should cover both gaming and everyday use scenarios well.

Accessories: Your NAS devices provide substantial network storage and backup solutions, which is excellent for both home and business use.

Feedback and Suggestions:

1. CPU Upgrade: In the future, you might find the i7-7700K limiting, especially as newer games and software applications continue to demand more processing power. Upgrading to a newer generation CPU would require a motherboard and possibly RAM upgrade as well.
  2. RAM Upgrade: If you're finding performance issues while multitasking or during intensive tasks, increasing your RAM could provide a noticeable improvement.
  3. Storage Speed: Consider adding an NVMe SSD for significantly faster data transfer speeds, which would benefit OS boot times, game loading times, and any large file transfers.
  4. GPU Compatibility: Make sure that your motherboard's BIOS is updated to ensure full compatibility with your RTX 4060. Sometimes older motherboards require a BIOS update to work correctly with newer GPUs.
  5. Cooling: If you plan to overclock your CPU or find that your system is running hot, you might want to consider additional case fans or a larger CPU cooler, although NOCTUA products are generally top-notch.
  6. Backup Strategy: Ensure that you have a solid backup strategy for both your NAS devices and your PC. Regular backups can prevent data loss.
Overall, you've built a capable and well-rounded system. With a few potential upgrades down the line, you should be well set for both current and future tasks.

Happy computing!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.