Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
NanaZip 2.0 Preview 2 (2.0.376.0) released:
We are excited to announce that we've released the NanaZip 2.0 Preview 2, and is now available for download. It's the first NanaZip release which updating the minimum system requirement to Windows 10 Version 2004 (Build 19041) or later for solving issues in the XAML Islands.

First, Microsoft sent an awesome banner to celebrate NanaZip winning the Microsoft Store App Awards. As one of the M2-Team founders, I think it's a memorable moment since we founded the team in 2015. We will use the related assets to update the image assets in Microsoft Store page after introducing the XAML-based UI.

finalist_up_social_file_management_007

The icon of NanaZip has finally changed. The new icon is designed by @Shomnipotence. He urge me to replace the old icon as soon as possible. So, NanaZip will release 2.0 stable in the recent days and hope we can introduce some simple XAML-based UI.

Because the XAML Islands based UI stack will be used in NanaZip is just released the first stable release in the recent day and need do more polishing. You won't see some features planned in 2.0 and need to wait for 2.1 Preview 1:

• The first run notice window of Mark-of-the-Web which appeared in extracting archives. (So, The 2.0 won't enable MOTW by default.)
  • The new hash algorithm selection window. (Because there are many hash algorithms added to NanaZip 2.0, it's necessary to have a selection window.)
  • The XAML-based toolbar in the main window.
Also, @AndromedaMelody is continuing to help me make lightweight XAML Islands based toolchain with Windows 11 style controls. NanaZip will use them starting from 2.1 development stage and people will see changes in Late 2022.

Finally, thanks @dinhngtu for fixing several issues in NanaZip.

Release Notes​

• Update 7-Zip to 22.01. (Thanks to Igor Pavlov. Noticed by HylianSteel, Random-name-hi and DJxSpeedy.)
  • Add hfsx to file type association. (Suggested by AndromedaMelody.)
  • Update the minimum system requirement to Windows 10 Version 2004 (Build 19041) or later for solving issues in the XAML Islands.
  • Update LZ4 to v1.9.4.
  • Enable Package Integrity. (Contributed by AndromedaMelody.)
  • Don't enable "Disable dynamic code generation" mitigation in Debug builds for solving codec load error issue. (Thanks to AndromedaMelody.)
  • Continue to enable several security mitigations.
    • Enable EH Continuation Metadata.
    • Enable Signed Returns.
  • Generate resource identities for package manifest manually. (Suggested by AndromedaMelody.)
  • Add workaround for NanaZip not appearing in classic context menu. (Contributed by dinhngtu.)
  • Check 7z compression parameter validity upon start of compression. (Contributed by dinhngtu.)
  • Update icons. (Designed by Shomnipotence.)

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
NanaZip 2.0 Preview 2 (2.0.376.0) released:

Now stable NanaZip 2.0 (2.0.396.0)

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
NanaZip 2.0 Update 1 (2.0.450.0) released

Release Notes​

• Optimize NanaZip binaries via adjusting the WindowsTargetPlatformMinVersion to 10.0.19041.0 in all packaged NanaZip binaries projects except the Self Extracting Executable stubs projects.
  • Opt out of dynamic code mitigation on main NanaZip thread for resolving the compatibility issues with Explorer Patcher. (Contributed by dinhngtu.)
  • Update Mile.Xaml to 1.1.434. (Release Mile.Xaml 1.1 (1.1.434.0) · ProjectMile/Mile.Xaml)
  • Update Mile.Windows.Helpers to 1.0.8. (Commits · ProjectMile/Mile.Windows.Helpers)
  • Add dark mode support for context menus.
  • Refresh the about dialog with Windows 11 XAML control styles and the immersive Mica effects.
  • Fix model dialog style behavior for About dialog.
  • Continue to refresh application and file type icons. (Designed by Shomnipotence.)

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
NanaZip 3.0 Preview 0 (3.0.756.0) released:
I'm excited to announce that we've released the NanaZip 3.0 Preview 0 and is now available for download.

Due to the author of 7-Zip, Igor Pavlov has made lots of changes between 7-Zip 22.01 and 7-Zip 23.01, he changed 950+ in 1250+ source code files. I found I met the "Longhorn Build 4093" moment in the NanaZip project and start to do something similar to "Longhorn Reset" in NanaZip. I called it "Longhorn Reset" because I rewrote the Core Library and Self Extracting Executables implementation started from the scratch 7-Zip 23.01 mainline implementation. This work has been done successfully.

NanaZip 3.0 Preview 1 will be scheduled at December 2023 with lots of UI changes because the "Longhorn Reset" of NanaZip has cleared lots of resistance for rewriting the new lightweight XAML-based UI.

Here is more information about the "Longhorn Reset" of NanaZip: #336

I am sorry I use nearly a year to make an update because I found NanaZip is used by many users and I need to be careful to make changes. I have done lots of evolutions for the lightweight XAML Islands toolchain with the Windows 11 controls styles called Mile.Xaml which is base of NanaZip's XAML-based UI because I think get the balance between lightweight and modernization of the art is really important.

Manchester City has won the treble, Pep Guardiola has proved himself again. I was heartened by that news and this is why the codename for NanaZip 3.x Series is Blue Moon. Also, blue has been my favorite color since I was young.

I think it's time for me to start the new history of NanaZip. I will announce that NanaZip is not only a simply 7-Zip fork anymore, the relationship between NanaZip and 7-Zip is more like Chromium and WebKit because I think most of changes I will do for NanaZip which has no chance to be accepted by Igor Pavlov.

But NanaZip will still keep the Core Library and Self Extracting Executables implementation synchronized to the latest 7-Zip mainline implementation. This is why I rewrite and split the implementation of the Core Library and the Self Extracting Executable to the separate NanaZip.Core project. The other parts will be modernized as soon as possible. Also, I think I will try to make the modernized 7-Zip Plugin SDK with 100% C++/WinRT style in the future because Igor Pavlov changes a lot in every releases, and we need more simplified way to develop plugins for 7-Zip and NanaZip.

Release Notes​

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

Don't want to discrete the immense amount of work put into this software but can some tell me why I would use this over for instance Windows build-in ot 7-zip?

F

ForgottenSeer 103564

Don't want to discrete the immense amount of work put into this software but can some tell me why I would use this over for instance Windows build-in ot 7-zip?
Its a opensource derivative of 7zip and from what i have read is faster than 7zip and winrar and windows zip. Im sure compression benchmarking should not be a factor when choosing software you trust and like.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
NanaZip supports new Win 11 context menu, which was the only reason I recently switched from 7-Zip.
(Even though I don't like it, the reason I am using the new Win 11 context menu is because of a bug in Kaspersky where it doesn't show options to scan files/folders in the old context menu. )

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
They are focused on security:
  • Enable Control Flow Guard (CFG) to all target binaries for mitigating ROP attacks.
  • Mark all x86 and x64 target binaries as compatible with Control-flow Enforcement Technology (CET) Shadow Stack.
  • Strict handle checks at runtime to block the use of invalid handles.
  • Disable dynamic code generation in Release builds prevents generating malicious code at runtime.
  • Block loading unexpected libraries from remote sources at runtime.
  • Enable Package Integrity Check.
  • Enable EH Continuation Metadata.
  • Enable Signed Returns.
You can create password protected archives.
It is faster and there are more options in their entry in the new Win 11 context menu.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
NanaZip supports new Win 11 context menu, which was the only reason I recently switched from 7-Zip.
(Even though I don't like it, the reason I am using the new Win 11 context menu is because of a bug in Kaspersky where it doesn't show options to scan files/folders in the old context menu. )
Does it allow any archives to be unpacked without running into Access Denied issue. With Stock 7z 23.01 whenever I unpack in C drive I get permission error and always need to add current user as admin and then it works.

Reactions: brambedkar59

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Does it allow any archives to be unpacked without running into Access Denied issue. With Stock 7z 23.01 whenever I unpack in C drive I get permission error and always need to add current user as admin and then it works.
I am not running a standard account so can't check.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.