Advice Request Nano AdBlocker vs uBlock Origin (Chromium)

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

brod56

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
I'm testing other adblockers beside Adguard, and decided to try Nano.
It feels completely like uBlock Origin, which is understandable being a fork of it.
Besides more convenient Nano Defender integration, what's the real advantage of Nano Defender over uBlock Origin? Why was such project created, in an era where uBlock Origin is so trustworthy and popular?

Reactions: oldschool

permar4

Level 1
Verified
Jul 23, 2017
I think I remember that nano was undetectable because it had some specific rules, which can be added to ublock as well.

I've also thought about this issue and I've always ended up relying on ublock, the day I see real evidence of performance and effectiveness of ublock vs nano defend I'll think otherwise.

Although after all I believe that both offer an acceptable base protection and the real protection is that with extra custom filters.

rtvL4aN.png

I have these filters, I hear recommendations to add or remove. Although I don't know how good it is to overload the adblocker with so many filters... I haven't measured if it slows down the browser too much

brod56

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
I think I remember that nano was undetectable because it had some specific rules, which can be added to ublock as well.

I've also thought about this issue and I've always ended up relying on ublock, the day I see real evidence of performance and effectiveness of ublock vs nano defend I'll think otherwise.

Although after all I believe that both offer an acceptable base protection and the real protection is that with extra custom filters.

rtvL4aN.png

I have these filters, I hear recommendations to add or remove. Although I don't know how good it is to overload the adblocker with so many filters... I haven't measured if it slows down the browser too much
Why having EasyList without cosmetic hiding at the same time with regular EasyList?

Reactions: oldschool

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I find Nano in medium mode (block 3rd party scripts & frames) breaks less sites than uBO in same mode. I use very few default filters, and almost no added filters. But the advantage I experience is probably less compared to the most recent version of uBO. Medium mode does not work well for some peoples' surfing styles but is the best balance of usability and security without a bunch of added filters. If using in default mode, then more filters make some sense - to a degree. More filters does not = more security.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.