NASA Prepares for Asteroid’s Close Pass by Earth

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Thread author
Apr 17, 2011
On Tuesday, November 8, at 6:28 p.m. EST, an asteroid the size of an aircraft carrier will soar past our planet at a distance closer than the Moon… and NASA scientists will be watching!

2005 YU55, a 400-meter (1,300-foot) -wide C-type asteroid, was discovered in December 2005 by Robert McMillan of the Spacewatch Program at the University of Arizona, Tucson. It’s pretty much spherical in shape and dark – darker than charcoal, in fact! Scientists with NASA’s Near-Earth Objects Observation Program will begin tracking it on November 4 using the 70-meter radar telescope at the Deep Space Network in Goldstone, California , as well as with the Arecibo Planetary Radar Facility in Puerto Rico beginning November 8. They will continue tracking 2005 YU55 through November 10.

Read more:
http://www.universetoday.com/90343/nasa-prepares-for-asteroids-close-pass/

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
This would be good to see. You don't see this everyday.

K__M

Jun 14, 2011
Wonder when it is going to hit us... i mean 'pass by'.. :p

2012 maybe? Lol

p.s. to lazy to read it all atm.

D

Deleted member 178

K__M said:
2012 maybe? Lol

lol at the 2012 Armageddon theory, deducted because an ancient Inca (or Maya) calendar suddenly stop that year. they didnt think the Inca astrologist may had a accident or get bored finishing it :D

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I think its also similiar, saw in Facebook but didn't read the article.

Gonna see that rare event and hopefully here in Saudi Arabia having clear sky have a chance to see it.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Just watched a news in TV, from an information regarding to Asteriod.

Its stated that you need a telescope in order to see that certain asteroid. 100 dimer than the stars and it contain carbon thing so its disguise to be a dark like in a sky during night.

That's what I saw in the TV

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
jamescv7 said:
Just watched a news in TV, from an information regarding to Asteriod.

Its stated that you need a telescope in order to see that certain asteroid. 100 dimer than the stars and it contain carbon thing so its disguise to be a dark like in a sky during night.

That's what I saw in the TV

I heard it from someone as well that you will need a telescope to see it, which sucks.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
November 8 as stated in the news, but the time will be different depends on the location of the country.

Also as I watched the news in TV yesterday in midnight is the better time to see the asteroid in the sky.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.