Advice Request Need advice on enabling or disabling these options in KIS together with Adguard for Windows

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Hi all.
I keep these options enabled in KIS as shown in the screenshot below:

1638218812717.png

And I guess keeping those options above as enabled, would not have any conflict with keeping these options below in Adguard for Windows, enabled, is that true?

1638218954869.png

I talked with a friend about this, and his idea is below:

"I honestly don’t know what happens when multiple pieces of software try deciphering HTTPS traffic. I guess one goes first, does its filtering, re-encrypts it using their own cert, and the other goes after. Pretty inefficient (two decipher->filter->cipher passes) but should work. If it doesn’t, you’ll see it fast enough.

BTW the problem is not the options in KIS, but rather than two software are filtering HTTPS at all. (i.e. the first checkbox in your second screenshot, and oen not shown in KIS).

Anyway, either it works, or you would see HTTPS alerts in your browser."

I also thought to know forum members idea on this as well. Thank you very much.

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
I uninstalled Adguard for Windows; thus I don't have the settings in the second screenshot, now I can keep those two settings in KIS enabled.
Right now, I have Adguard Browser Extension only.
Considering the big 4.0 release that is coming for the AdGuard extension, it might actually be a good idea to only use the extension. ;)

Last edited:

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
No, I doubt that. AdGuard Windows offers way more than just adblocking. But as most users just need the adblocking feature I think the extension is more than enough.
I agree, the extension is more than enough. Adguard for Windows indeed does offer other options I do not need.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
@SecureKongo Do you think that Adguard might ditch the Windows version and then make the AdGuard extension default one and also paid maybe?

Adguard for Windows probably continues to be the only paid product (on Windows), it's their big player since years, unlikely to be discontinued.
The biggest downside: HTTPS scanning is always required to be able blocking ads.

Adguard browser extension v4 beta, looks like very good even in current status of development, even in latest stable version 3, IMO is the best alternative for users don't like to use uBlock Origin.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.