Battle Need Help Choosing Between Three AVs

Compare list
Emsisoft Anti-Malware Home
F-Secure Internet Security
Kaspersky Standard
If you know of any other solid products, please comment below.)

a090

Level 2
Thread author
Mar 26, 2023
Products I ruled out already (and why):
  • Avast (historically sketchy business practices, notification-heavy, + Gen Digital)
  • AVG (see above + Gen Digital)
  • Avira (under Gen Digital)
  • BitDefender (“bugdefender,” bloated software with Tune Ups and optimizers and VPNs, even at the cheapest subscription)
  • Comodo (abandonware—yes, I am aware of their upcoming release but the company is too slippery for my taste, poor detection capabilities)
  • Dr. Web (doesn’t participate in testing, comsidered lower-tier)
  • ESET (sig-heavy, heuristics and behavior guard missing or sub-par. Manual setup of heuristics is time-consuming and user-unfriendly)
  • G-DATA (slow, looks outdated, dual engine is decent but nothing to write home about, no recent achievements in testing)
  • Microsoft Defender (used for the past 3 years, it’s good but I want a change of pace. I’m security conscious so Defender is really all I need. But Defender is not an option simply because I’m tired of it and want a paid AV just for the heck of having one)
  • Malwarebytes (Good for catching some things, completely misses with others. Not a well-rounded product in real-time mode. Used to be a side-kick program to other AVs, company says they can fly solo now, but I have my doubts. Great second opinion scanner tho)
  • McAfee (shady business practices, bloated, slow—these last two might have changed but I still won’t be using the product)
  • Norton (see above + Gen Digital + cryptominer…what in the world?)

So that leaves:
  • Emsisoft Anti-Malware Home
  • F-Secure Internet Security (successor of SAFE)
  • Kaspersky Standard
  • If you know of any other solid products, please comment below.)

I’m finding it difficult to narrow down one product from these three. Mostly because none of them are perfect and I have different concerns with each.

• Emsisoft seems to be focused on business security more so than home security. They shut down their public support forum a while back. They stopped participating in many testing programs, and so on. Fabio (their ransomware superstar) has been quiet for some time. Company isn’t in the headlines as much as it used to. Seems like a sinking ship but I might just be plain wrong here.
  • F-Secure seems to be quite well-rounded. Decent dual engine (Avira + in-house), nice behavior blocker in DeepGuard, more privacy respecting than other AVs, etc. But they’ve historically had issues with tamper protection and were vulnerabile to being disabled by malware. Not sure if this has been fixed. Also, does anyone know if they install a root certificate for your browser for HTTPS Scanning? Like many other AVs do, Kaspersky comes to mind as one. And lastly, their de-merger might mean something odd is going on financially.
  • Kaspersky is a great product all around too. Maybe even the best comprehensive suite on the list. It’s perfect. Except for a few things. For one, it installs a root certificate to scan your HTTPS traffic. Not a deal breaker but something I’m not a fan of. Kaspersky also requires core isolation and memory integrity to be turned off because it uses its own hypervisor. Not a fan of that. And finally, the elephant in the room. It’s Russia-based. And while I do not care for picking sides in this geopolitical mess, I can’t help but worry about the software being weaponized in the future. I know the western governments are pushing propaganda and fear-mongering. They have done and continue to do the same things they accuse Russia of doing with Kaspersky. I get all that. I also believe the Kaspersky employees themselves are by and large good people, as good as any at other AV companies. But I can’t help but feel a slight worry that with the way things are going with escalating tensions on both sides, that fear-mongering might turn into legitimate concern. Someone tell me I’m wrong. I want to hear that lol, because I like Kaspersky quite a bit. Looking for an excuse to install it.

Last edited:

a090

Level 2
Thread author
Mar 26, 2023
Could a mod please change the title to “Need Help Choosing Between Three AVs”? I accidently published the post while typing. Total mis-tap on my tablet. Apologies!

Edit: Figured it out. Title changed. All good!

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
... and want a paid AV just for the heck of having one
By the sounds of it, Emsisoft would be ideal.

As for the company, and why it was mentioned a lot during 2020.

Not recommended for the faint of heart, would be to go AV-less. Alternative protection.

It's not uncommon to not using an Antivirus. Millions use ChromeOS, Android, iOS, Mac and Linux and all enjoy the benefits of zero-lag performance.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 98186

I’m security conscious so Defender is really all I need. But Defender is not an option simply because I’m tired of it and want a paid AV just for the heck of having one)
Product microanalysis will not produce the desired result. People put less analysis into their stock picks. Also, asking peoples' opinions on a forum such as this will generate a lot of well-meaning, but highly biased recommendations. They'll recommend many of the softs you already eliminated because they don't bother to read the posts.

Install VirtualBox, fire-up Windows and evaluate softs for yourself.

What is your objective? Excitement in your life or you just want to play with security software? You do realize that once you install an AV it is going to sit there like a lump - same as Microsoft Defender does, right? The "shine" and "feel good" of your newly selected AV will wear off within a week.

You are better served by hardening your Windows system. If you do not want to do that, all the time you are putting into analysis is more productively spent learning IT skills that interest you.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
All products listed offer good protection. There's no such thing as a perfect security solution. If you are worried with certificates I have never seen a product that do not offer the option to turn off https scanning.

Test them in your machine and go for best performance/price ratio. Also test things you'd do normally and see if they are not affected by the security solution you are testing. These last years I've experienced from pages not opening to network printers not being recognized. Make sure the software will not interfere with your use of the computer.

Hardening is always a good idea but make sure you understand what you are doing. I see a lot of threads being opened in this forum because some Windows setting is set by the Administrator and the person has no idea how to undo it. This is often caused by hardening software setting some policy.

Last edited:

[correlate]

Level 18
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2019
I hope you will try FFRI yarai a solution from Japan that provides computer and browser protection and they have their own detection engine.

Or try Cylance Smart Antivirus with the TrafficLight Browser Protection add-on
Currently, I am using Cylance Smart Antivirus, and I have not encountered any problems.

Kaspersky is also good
:emoji_beer::emoji_beer::emoji_beer:

zkSnark

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 13, 2019
I would go for Kaspersky as I had been using it and provides good protection. I tried Emsisoft, and it gave me a lot of FP warnings. Currently, I have downloaded Avast One trial and using it and kinda liked it. My preferences would be Kaspersky, Avast and Bitdefender.

russ0408

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jul 28, 2013
Products I ruled out already (and why):
  • Avast (historically sketchy business practices, notification-heavy, + Gen Digital)
  • AVG (see above + Gen Digital)
  • Avira (under Gen Digital)
  • BitDefender (“bugdefender,” bloated software with Tune Ups and optimizers and VPNs, even at the cheapest subscription)
  • Comodo (abandonware—yes, I am aware of their upcoming release but the company is too slippery for my taste, poor detection capabilities)
  • Dr. Web (doesn’t participate in testing, comsidered lower-tier)
  • ESET (sig-heavy, heuristics and behavior guard missing or sub-par. Manual setup of heuristics is time-consuming and user-unfriendly)
  • G-DATA (slow, looks outdated, dual engine is decent but nothing to write home about, no recent achievements in testing)
  • Microsoft Defender (used for the past 3 years, it’s good but I want a change of pace. I’m security conscious so Defender is really all I need. But Defender is not an option simply because I’m tired of it and want a paid AV just for the heck of having one)
  • Malwarebytes (Good for catching some things, completely misses with others. Not a well-rounded product in real-time mode. Used to be a side-kick program to other AVs, company says they can fly solo now, but I have my doubts. Great second opinion scanner tho)
  • McAfee (shady business practices, bloated, slow—these last two might have changed but I still won’t be using the product)
  • Norton (see above + Gen Digital + cryptominer…what in the world?)

So that leaves:
  • Emsisoft Anti-Malware Home
  • F-Secure Internet Security (successor of SAFE)
  • Kaspersky Standard
  • If you know of any other solid products, please comment below.)

I’m finding it difficult to narrow down one product from these three. Mostly because none of them are perfect and I have different concerns with each.

• Emsisoft seems to be focused on business security more so than home security. They shut down their public support forum a while back. They stopped participating in many testing programs, and so on. Fabio (their ransomware superstar) has been quiet for some time. Company isn’t in the headlines as much as it used to. Seems like a sinking ship but I might just be plain wrong here.
  • F-Secure seems to be quite well-rounded. Decent dual engine (Avira + in-house), nice behavior blocker in DeepGuard, more privacy respecting than other AVs, etc. But they’ve historically had issues with tamper protection and were vulnerabile to being disabled by malware. Not sure if this has been fixed. Also, does anyone know if they install a root certificate for your browser for HTTPS Scanning? Like many other AVs do, Kaspersky comes to mind as one. And lastly, their de-merger might mean something odd is going on financially.
  • Kaspersky is a great product all around too. Maybe even the best comprehensive suite on the list. It’s perfect. Except for a few things. For one, it installs a root certificate to scan your HTTPS traffic. Not a deal breaker but something I’m not a fan of. Kaspersky also requires core isolation and memory integrity to be turned off because it uses its own hypervisor. Not a fan of that. And finally, the elephant in the room. It’s Russia-based. And while I do not care for picking sides in this geopolitical mess, I can’t help but worry about the software being weaponized in the future. I know the western governments are pushing propaganda and fear-mongering. They have done and continue to do the same things they accuse Russia of doing with Kaspersky. I get all that. I also believe the Kaspersky employees themselves are by and large good people, as good as any at other AV companies. But I can’t help but feel a slight worry that with the way things are going with escalating tensions on both sides, that fear-mongering might turn into legitimate concern. Someone tell me I’m wrong. I want to hear that lol, because I like Kaspersky quite a bit. Looking for an excuse to install it.
Unless you are employed by the Pentigon I don't think you have any worries using Kaspersky.

Zartarra

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 9, 2019
F-secure does not install a root certificate for browsing. It is a solid product with a good protection and a great support. The only problem I have is that they have issues with cleaning the machine after an infection or a block from Deepguard that leaves some traces.

Emsisoft is also a good product. They are using Bitdefender signatures and their behavior blocker is not bad.

I can't say anything about Kaspersky. It has been a while since I used/tested that product.

What do you think about Trend Micro and Sophos Home Pro?

Trend Micro has some issues with their signatures but the behavior blocker and webprotection is good. I used SHP in the past and it was not that bad.

Currently I am testing some of these products. I post back when I have some more results.

franz

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
May 29, 2021
I have kaspersky, and the new f-secure (formerly f-secure safe) on two machines, and have been using them for several years now. Kaspersky is a good product, but the way the world is today I would never buy it now, but this is for moral and security reasons.

f-secure safe is a product I have used for at least 15 years, and have never experienced getting anything on my machine that shouldn't be there, f-secure has protected it 100%. Kaspersky has also done this, but f-secure is still easier on my machine, and the program is from Finland and I have never heard that f-secure has been involved in anything bad. It is considered to be a very safe and secure company, so my advice is: use f-secure:)(y)

a090

Level 2
Thread author
Mar 26, 2023
By the sounds of it, Emsisoft would be ideal.

As for the company, and why it was mentioned a lot during 2020.

Not recommended for the faint of heart, would be to go AV-less. Alternative protection.

It's not uncommon to not using an Antivirus. Millions use ChromeOS, Android, iOS, Mac and Linux and all enjoy the benefits of zero-lag performance.

Thanks for the reply mate. And Vote 1 for Emsisoft. Will tally ‘em all up.

Product microanalysis will not produce the desired result. People put less analysis into their stock picks. Also, asking peoples' opinions on a forum such as this will generate a lot of well-meaning, but highly biased recommendations. They'll recommend many of the softs you already eliminated because they don't bother to read the posts.

Install VirtualBox, fire-up Windows and evaluate softs for yourself.

What is your objective? Excitement in your life or you just want to play with security software? You do realize that once you install an AV it is going to sit there like a lump - same as Microsoft Defender does, right? The "shine" and "feel good" of your newly selected AV will wear off within a week.

You are better served by hardening your Windows system. If you do not want to do that, all the time you are putting into analysis is more productively spent learning IT skills that interest you.

Great points made here. It’s true that I can fire up VirtualBox and have a go at answering some of these questions myself, but the truth is I have neither the time nor the desire. The latter is more important. If I had the desire, naturally I would find a way to make the time. There was a time in my life where I was interested in, and also did, what you’re describing. I’ve spent hundreds of hours in middle and high school testing out various AVs. I remember when Avast’s logo in the taskbar was an orange ball that spun every time the product initiated a scan, and an orange amoeba looking thing as the main logo. I remember when ESET used to put out (goofy) videos of a white and blue robot destroying shadow monsters (viruses). And when G-DATA used to use Avast + BitDefender, and a lesser known company TrustPort used three engines—AVG, BitDefender, and their own. When Emsisoft had separate products for AV and firewall. Even used Online Armor with Avast for a while, then switched to the Avast + Comodo firewall combo that was popular at the time.

And so on…been there, done that. That was years ago. Not interested in doing all of that testing again. Products are now more complex and there are better folks than me doing the testing. I have some defined criteria that I’ve indirectly outlined above by mentioning my likes / dislikes with the various products and I’m sticking to those to settle on one product. Mainly, I’m looking for stability, reliable security (doesn’t have to be the most agressive but it should be a top tier product), privacy-respecting (means different things to different people but F-Secure comes to mind as a good example), and financially sound. Emsisoft checks all of the boxes but the company looks like it’s not doing so well. And I’m not interested in jumping on a sinking ship.

Completely agree about the AV becoming a lump. But that’s fine because I’d rather have a different lump than Microsoft Defender. It has treated me well. Never been infected using it, but it has also never thrown an alert because I’m extremely cautious with my opsec. I don’t click any links if I know how to get there by searching manually (period). I never open unwarranted attachments. I don’t pirate or visit naughty websites, at least not on my main rig. I block all ads using custom and public lists. I have beefed up Defender to the nth degree using Group Policy and ran periodic scans with Malwarebytes, EEK, HitmanPro, ESET Online Scanner, NPE, etc. All clean. So my desire for a third-party AV is just that. A desire, likely an irrational one. And I’m going to fulfill it.

Hardening Windows is a great idea and something I’ve dabbled in. I’m quite familiar with Group Policy and have used it to beef up W11 quite a bit. I’ve gone through every setting in GPO regarding Windows components (yes, no joke… took me over an hour) and have tweaked things from disabling autoruns and autoplay to turning on network protection and boosting exploit protections, and everything in between. I’ve boosted cloud protection, enabled BAFS, and much much more.

If you have a list of GPO settings you apply, or a list of the various tweaks you do to harden up, please let me know. All ears. My only request is to not recommend software. I enjoy tweaking things myself, and took up the task of applying 80% of @Andy Ful ‘s Hardening to Microsoft Defender manually in GPO with ASR rules and other protections. The other 20% I couldn’t do (such as get a right-click RunBySmartscreen and other minor miscellaneous stuff). And I was cool with it.

All products listed offer good protection. There's no such thing as a perfect security solution. If you are worried with certificates I have never seen a product that do not offer the option to turn off https scanning.

Test them in your machine and go for best performance/price ratio. Also test things you'd do normally and see if they are not affected by the security solution you are testing. These last years I've experienced from pages not opening to network printers not being recognized. Make sure the software will not interfere with your use of the computer.

Hardening is always a good idea but make sure you understand what you are doing. I see a lot of threads being opened in this forum because some Windows setting is set by the Administrator and the person has no idea how to undo it. This is often caused by hardening software setting some policy.

Appreciate the reply! Please see comment above on why I’m not keen on testing things out again myself. But I’m all for Windows hardening and know my way around Group Policy. Any specific hardening tweaks you recommend? Manual tweaks please, I don’t like using utilities to do the tweaks for us. I’ve done a lot of @Andy Ful ‘s Defender tweaks manually in GPO using MS docs.

I hope you will try FFRI yarai a solution from Japan that provides computer and browser protection and they have their own detection engine.

Or try Cylance Smart Antivirus with the TrafficLight Browser Protection add-on
Currently, I am using Cylance Smart Antivirus, and I have not encountered any problems.

Kaspersky is also good
:emoji_beer::emoji_beer::emoji_beer:

Never heard of FFRI but I’ll look into it. Cylance I’ve heard of but thought it was corporate. Didn’t know you could buy home licenses. And Vote 1 for Kaspersky, thanks!

I would go for Kaspersky as I had been using it and provides good protection. I tried Emsisoft, and it gave me a lot of FP warnings. Currently, I have downloaded Avast One trial and using it and kinda liked it. My preferences would be Kaspersky, Avast and Bitdefender.

Vote 2 for Kaspersky. Thanks!

Ah the infamous Shadowra. It’s your videos that put me into this mess, mate. You’ve tested all of these products and they all looked solid and made it difficult to pick one. Jokes aside, your vids are great. Appreciate the obvious time and effort put into them.

Since you recommended F-Secure, do you know if they beefed up tamper and self protection? Is it still possible to end F-Secure processes in task manager, or delete files from the F-Secure folders? Most AVs protect against that but F-Secure historically didn’t. Curious if that has changed.

Also, should I disable any Windows security features such ad Memory Integrity / Core Isolation before install? I know Kaspersky doesn’t like it but what about F-Secure? Currently have it disabled but I can easily go into BIOS, enable SVM, and then go into Windows Security and flip on Memory Integrity.

Unless you are employed by the Pentigon I don't think you have any worries using Kaspersky.

Thanks for the comment lol. But these days, even non-Pentagon employees need to be careful. Especially with the escalating tensions on both sides.

F-secure does not install a root certificate for browsing. It is a solid product with a good protection and a great support. The only problem I have is that they have issues with cleaning the machine after an infection or a block from Deepguard that leaves some traces.

Emsisoft is also a good product. They are using Bitdefender signatures and their behavior blocker is not bad.

I can't say anything about Kaspersky. It has been a while since I used/tested that product.

What do you think about Trend Micro and Sophos Home Pro?

Trend Micro has some issues with their signatures but the behavior blocker and webprotection is good. I used SHP in the past and it was not that bad.

Currently I am testing some of these products. I post back when I have some more results.

Great reply! And thanks for answering regarding browser certificate. So if I install something like AdGuard for desktop that does scan HTTPS, it shouldn’t conflict with F-Secure’s browsing protection? I know some HTTPS-scanning products like ESET have had issues historically with Adguard, so I’m trying to avoid that. I want F-Secure to scan HTTPS traffic, but without using a cert or interfering with Adguard’s certs / process.

I have used Trend Micro in the past and while it was, and presumably still is, a good product, it’s still in the Dr.Web and VIPRE camp for me. Not as well-known here in the west.

Sophos looks interesting though. I’ve heard of them before and know they own HitmanPro these days. Sad what they did with Sandboxie so that left a bad taste in my mouth. But definitely interested in your testing of SHP. Thanks again.

I have kaspersky, and the new f-secure (formerly f-secure safe) on two machines, and have been using them for several years now. Kaspersky is a good product, but the way the world is today I would never buy it now, but this is for moral and security reasons.

f-secure safe is a product I have used for at least 15 years, and have never experienced getting anything on my machine that shouldn't be there, f-secure has protected it 100%. Kaspersky has also done this, but f-secure is still easier on my machine, and the program is from Finland and I have never heard that f-secure has been involved in anything bad. It is considered to be a very safe and secure company, so my advice is: use f-secure:)(y)

Vote 2 for F-Secure. Thanks for the reply! The moral part doesn’t factor into my decision because the same could be said about US IT companies when America invaded the Middle East and killed millions. For some good reasons but many bad. But nobody said buying from a western IT company was fueling the war, even though our tech sector is heavily tied to NSA, CISA, and so on. And I say all this as a proud American myself.

So I rule out that argument as a double-standard against Kaspersky because it’s Russian. But the security aspect you mentioned is a real threat. Completely agree. My only concern is finding out if there is any actual reason to worry about them even with most of their infrastructure in Switzerland and Canada for US users. Other folks can debate the war but I’m staying out of it. I’m leaning towards F-Secure already but open to alternatives.

Last edited:

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Since you’ve rejected 90% of the market (some points being valid, others far from such) maybe you can try ZoneAlarm. They haven’t been in a privacy scandal and their Web Secure module that includes emulation and content disarm does a good job. If you have 16GB of RAM.
Kaspersky is excellent (not to say top 🔝) and Emsisoft is OK.
Sophos is interesting, but not better than ZoneAlarm.

With so many requirements, are you sure you are looking for an antivirus software and not for a bride? Do you pull out the same list of requirements when you buy groceries (bread, detergents, toilet roll)? You will make your life a lot easier if you don’t.

Last edited:

a090

Level 2
Thread author
Mar 26, 2023
I would recommend Kaspersky

Vote 3 for Kaspersky. Thanks!

Since you’ve rejected 90% of the market (some points being valid, others far from such) maybe you can try ZoneAlarm. They haven’t been in a privacy scandal and their Web Secure module that includes emulation and content disarm does a good job. If you have 16GB of RAM.
Kaspersky is excellent (not to say top 🔝) and Emsisoft is OK.
Sophos is interesting, but not better than ZoneAlarm.

With so many requirements, are you sure you are looking for an antivirus software and not for a bride? Do you pull out the same list of requirements when you buy groceries (bread, detergents, toilet roll)? You will make your life a lot easier if you don’t.

Check Point’s implementation of the Kaspersky engine was heavy last I used it (admittedly several years ago). Not sure if that’s their own fault or Kaspersky’s, especially since Kaspersky is known to give older and less effective engines to third parties, keeping the best for themselves. Check Point doesn’t participate in any known 3rd party testing either. I’m not a fan.

Lol. I have a set of requirements for everything I do in life. And yes, I do have requirements for my groceries. I want to live a healthy life and a lot of that depends on what I put on and in my body, etc. Similar analogy applies in the digital world. You should want to pick good partners as part of your defence strategy. And to do that, you’ll need to have a list of requirements to differentiate the wheat from chaff. You seem like a smart guy so this should all be making sense to you. Blink twice if there’s a light bulb going off right about now.

Furthermore, an AV has core access to your system, more access than even the user. One should make a good choice when delegating this important responsibility to a third party. For someone like me, even built-in Defender is overkill. Inviting a third party AV unnecessarily can introduce more downsides than upsides in my particular situation. But I’m doing so out of the stubbornness of refusing to use Defender because I’m tired of it after years of use. I want a change in scenery. And I need a solid partner (AV) that I can rely on to reduce (not increase) the attack surface of my devices.

There are some things that can still be terminated via Task Manager, but that does not necessarily mean that protections are broken.

Combine with @Andy Ful 's Simple Windows Hardening or Hard_Configurator.

Actually, you’re a good resource to ask this of. I’ve seen a post of yours recently where you outlined your usage of F-Secure and why you like it. You mentioned it is highly compatible with Windows and built-in exploit protections. I have some questions:

1. Can I leave Core Isolation > Memory Integrity enabled before installing F-Secure? Does this setting interfere with F-Secure in any way? I know Kaspersky doesn’t like it.
  2. Which specific tweaks have you applied in GPO to harden Windows? Especially for exploit protection and firewall? I’ve gone through GPO heavily and tuned it up quite a bit, but I’m curious to see if I missed something that you know about.
  3. Which parts of Hard_Configurator would you recommend using alongside F-Secure? I can see a use for FirewallHardening, but even then, I would do it manually. Is FirewallHardening mostly for LOLbins? As in, it can only help post-infection, it’s not necessarily preventative? Unless you count stopping the download of a payload as preventative. I wouldn’t, since a downloader being present in the first place indicates you’re compromised. And I would wipe and reinstall Windows at that point.

Last edited:

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Check Point suspended usage of the Kaspersky engine 6 years ago btw.

You should want to pick good partners as part of your defence strategy
Apart from some third-tier products, all of the partners are the same, with very similar tactics and techniques that drive revenue and similar protection capabilities. The differences are very minor and unlikely to be noticed in a day to day usage.
The statements that companies respect or don’t respect privacy (any of the ones you’ve mentioned) are pure speculation and nothing has been proven. Businesses today are too global and multi-national and different laws apply to different arms of the company. Unless anyone has SOLID evidence, the privacy policy is the only thing I personally trust.

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
@a090

Ah the infamous Shadowra. It’s your videos that put me into this mess, mate. You’ve tested all of these products and they all looked solid and made it difficult to pick one. Jokes aside, your vids are great. Appreciate the obvious time and effort put into them.

Since you recommended F-Secure, do you know if they beefed up tamper and self protection? Is it still possible to end F-Secure processes in task manager, or delete files from the F-Secure folders? Most AVs protect against that but F-Secure historically didn’t. Curious if that has changed.

Also, should I disable any Windows security features such ad Memory Integrity / Core Isolation before install? I know Kaspersky doesn’t like it but what about F-Secure? Currently have it disabled but I can easily go into BIOS, enable SVM, and then go into Windows Security and flip on Memory Integrity.

Thanks for your encouragement :)
The problem you mention has been fixed, I can't kill F-Secure. And you can leave the 2 modules activated without worries.
F-Secure is a versatile av so no need to worry :)

ddave

Level 2
Verified
Nov 17, 2014
Eset signatures doesn't make you feel the absence of a behavior guard.
Eset is head-to-head with kaspersky and other vendor who rely more on BB.
G-Data isn't slow.
It consumes a lot of ram but it what this is made for, being used. In facts lately on my PC G-Data consumes the same amout of ram of Emsisoft.
However G-Data has Beast and Deepray (BB and machine learning) that are top notch tech.
If you care so much about testing results you can find G-Data is on top in many those.
IMHO G-Data > Emsisoft.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.