Need help in testing security softwares

VirusAttak

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Aug 31, 2014
Hello ,

I need little help in testing security products such as antivirus. For reviews on my website right now i use shadow mode while testing.
what's your suggestion?
where i can get mega malware packs?
where i can get 0-day malwares?
where i can get malicious URLS?

Thank you

PS: I use my laptop for testing (also use it for work )

Reactions: Dani Santos

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
What kind of testing will you perform, general, random or unique samples?

It's strongly recommended that you do not mix a production and test system in one. Watch out, your ID may be stolen.

Dani Santos

From Xvirus
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jun 3, 2014
I need little help in testing security products such as antivirus. For reviews on my website right now i use shadow mode while testing.
what's your suggestion? - Use virtual box with a clean snapshot, process explorer to see the malicious processes and malware bytes and hitman pro to see the remaining traces in the disk.
where i can get mega malware packs? - http://malwaretips.com/forums/virus-exchange.104/
where i can get 0-day malwares? - http://malwaretips.com/threads/places-to-find-malware.1812/
where i can get malicious URLS? - http://malwaretips.com/threads/places-to-find-malware.1812/

this may help:

Reactions: VirusAttak

Cch123

Level 7
Verified
May 6, 2014
This is garbage :D

Download from there is so long that I think you would need a half a day to download a single pack. :)

Also, if you are not going to bother putting in effort in combining a pack yourself by joining several together, then why bother testing? Also, getting actual zeroday malware is not that easy. Nowadays exploit/malware sites generally last a few hours before vanishing again.

Petrovic

Level 64
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
Also, if you are not going to bother putting in effort in combining a pack yourself by joining several together, then why bother testing? Also, getting actual zeroday malware is not that easy. Nowadays exploit/malware sites generally last a few hours before vanishing again.
http://malwaretips.com/threads/2015-01-18-20.40901/
It took about 15-20 minutes of work
pcshake.gif

:D

VirusAttak

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Aug 31, 2014
it should be my next step :)

Join a bunch of smaller packs
That's what I'm doing though it time consuming process that's why I'm looking for bigger packs :)

Do you want to advertise your site by dint of MT?
Your site looks "professional" http://www.tecoreviews.com/reviews/eset-smart-security-8/
Why don`t you can find samples?
No I don't want to advertise my site as a member of this awesome community i asked it with explanation what i'm going to do with these packs :)
And thanks for your kind words about my site :)

I'll check it thank you :)

Download from there is so long that I think you would need a half a day to download a single pack. :)

I'm really sorry if you find it effortless mate. i'm collecting malware from every source,as i don't have much knowledge of these malware sources thats why i asked for pre-packed packs and some urls people here having very good knowledge about these stuff :)

VirusAttak

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Aug 31, 2014
Alright I got my lesson I have to collect them myself, and need a vm for testing
Thanks to everyone for their valuable suggestions
;-)

Reactions: Dani Santos
H

hjlbx

Hello VirusAttack,

Huracan mentions critical point...

It's strongly recommended that you do not mix a production and test system in one. Watch out, your ID may be stolen.

I use SD Shadow Mode...it works for me. However, I generally disable network prior to running malwares. My system is setup to prompt when malware attempts outbound connection.

If you allow malwares to run in Shadow Mode without any restrictions whatsoever, then any malware that is designed to grab data and transmit it will do so. Shadow Mode per se provides no data protections; it only provides protection against infection of physical system. My one admonition to you is to make sure you fully understand that all your system data is exposed in Shadow Mode, unless you put in place measures to protect it. I learned by thoroughly studying many guides/posts here on Shadow Defender forum.

I truly mean not to offend you...and I am no expert nor wannabe, but it seems to me that you need to do some study up...As you are asking for infos that most any malware tester knows from hard-won experience.

Maybe you are really just starting out and simply asking for help...there's no problem with that...most everyone here seems to respect that...as I think most on this forum "learned-by-doing" and asking help from those that have the advanced knowledge and experience.

Like I said, truly I mean not to offend you...rather I encourage you in your efforts. :)

Best Regards,

hjlbx

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
There are two ways first by Host PC and Guest OS (Virtual Machine)

Which is accurate? Actually running samples in Host PC will gain more accurate however you need it to virtualize your system in order to isolate the system. (By using Sandboxie or Full virtualize like Shadow Defender)

However for safety reason running in full virtual machine is a good step and majority of samples are working well on that environment.

For samples those listed mentioned by other members are varies to be zero day individual samples and pack which undergone process that its fully working without errors.

Good luck and happy testing! ;)

Reactions: VirusAttak
H

hjlbx

Hello jamescv7,

I use Shadow Defender. Very simple to use...and light resource usage on my low-end CPU. Plus, I do not have sufficient RAM (only 5 GB available) to run resource intensive VM.

Honestly, knowing how to properly use Shadow Defender I find no need of VM. VM to me is just another hassle I do not need. You can call me lazy...

However, I think VM is probably powerful tool. I am no expert on VM. Like I said, because SD so good never even bother. Experience tells me to prefer simple. Simple solution is better...much...for me and system.

Test malwares...different solutions...Shadow Defender, Sandboxie, VM. I think all fairly equivalent in terms of results.

Although I am not too sure how sandbox-aware malware runs on SD. Never tested a known sandbox-aware malware while using SD. Lots of malware does not run...could be written for different OS, because of virtualization, etc.

hjlbx

VirusAttak

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Aug 31, 2014
Hello VirusAttack,

Huracan mentions critical point...

I use SD Shadow Mode...it works for me. However, I generally disable network prior to running malwares. My system is setup to prompt when malware attempts outbound connection.

If you allow malwares to run in Shadow Mode without any restrictions whatsoever, then any malware that is designed to grab data and transmit it will do so. Shadow Mode per se provides no data protections; it only provides protection against infection of physical system. My one admonition to you is to make sure you fully understand that all your system data is exposed in Shadow Mode, unless you put in place measures to protect it. I learned by thoroughly studying many guides/posts here on Shadow Defender forum.

I truly mean not to offend you...and I am no expert nor wannabe, but it seems to me that you need to do some study up...As you are asking for infos that most any malware tester knows from hard-won experience.

Maybe you are really just starting out and simply asking for help...there's no problem with that...most everyone here seems to respect that...as I think most on this forum "learned-by-doing" and asking help from those that have the advanced knowledge and experience.

Like I said, truly I mean not to offend you...rather I encourage you in your efforts. :)

Best Regards,

hjlbx

There are two ways first by Host PC and Guest OS (Virtual Machine)

Which is accurate? Actually running samples in Host PC will gain more accurate however you need it to virtualize your system in order to isolate the system. (By using Sandboxie or Full virtualize like Shadow Defender)

However for safety reason running in full virtual machine is a good step and majority of samples are working well on that environment.

For samples those listed mentioned by other members are varies to be zero day individual samples and pack which undergone process that its fully working without errors.

Good luck and happy testing! ;)

Thanks for your suggestions. I appreciate it :)
I've a old pc Dual core 1.8ghz only one gb ram there is nothing important in it so I'm thinking to make it my testing machine. by doing this i can secure my laptop as most of important files are in my laptop.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.