Need help tweaking KIS, Comodo Firewall and others...

Mark Harris

Level 1
Thread author
Jul 9, 2017
Hello guys!
First time here but have been using computers since my C64 and Tandy CoCo days! :)
Anyways, I have been mostly using MB 3 as my only defense besides free Comodo firewall. This on Windows 10.
I decided to increase my security so I added Kaspersky Internet Security and disabled its Firewall module as I didnt want to have to configure all my settings from Comodo.
Not sure why but since I installed Kaspersky I started having an issue with Google Chrome where randomly when first booting my computer I would get this :
Your connection is not private

Attackers might be trying to steal your information from
mail.google.com (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards).

NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID

The only way I can make it go away is going to Settings then go to the
Clear Browsing Data option. I leave all options unchecked and click on
the Clear Browsing Data button then restart the browser and it works.

Anyways, I ended up installing Ghost Browser which seems better for my needs but just curious is the above is KIS related or a coinsidence that it happened at that time.

Ok so back to the main question...reading here I see a lot of recommendations about KIS but also followed by TWEAKED... Also read not so good things about MB 3.
So I was wondering if you guys have some recommended tweaks for KIS. Also your thoughts about keeping or not keeping MB3.
BTW, Kaspersky support was pushing me to uninstall Comodo firewall claiming compatibility issues and sort of blaming that for the chrome issue I was getting...

Any feedback and recommendation will be appreciated!

Reactions: AtlBo

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
If You have KIS and also comodo Firewall, 2 firewalls working at the same time (3 if We count Windows one :D ) probably those certificate issues are because of it... You should uninstall CF if You want to keep KIS...

Mark Harris

Level 1
Thread author
Jul 9, 2017
If You have KIS and also comodo Firewall, 2 firewalls working at the same time (3 if We count Windows one :D ) probably those certificate issues are because of it... You should uninstall CF if You want to keep KIS...
Oh just Comodo Firewall active :)
" so I added Kaspersky Internet Security and disabled its Firewall module"
mmm so guess if I want KIS I better start working on setting up the Firewall then. Dang it lol
I also considered BitDefender but seems Kasperky is the top recommended one here too.

Mark Harris

Level 1
Thread author
Jul 9, 2017
Even disabling KIS FireWall, KIS probably still is using its "Kaspersky Root Certificate" to intercept Web traffic in browses (FF, Chrome and IE)...
mmm so if I want KIS I should uninstall Comodo and then maybe figure out what root certificat if its indeed messing up my Chrome?
Any reason to consider BD over KIS?

Bombus

Level 2
Verified
Jun 12, 2016
Mark Harris, IMHO you have two options: Leave Comodo and MBAM on your PC and remove Kis. Second - leave Kis (not sure about Mbam). As far as i know KIs is one of those antivirii that don't like companions. If you opt for Kis, enable ,,application monitor or system watcher or something (KIS users help, please) and enable Kaspersky network. Regards.

Reactions: harlan4096

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
Mark Harris, IMHO you have two options: Leave Comodo and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware on your PC and remove Kis. Second - leave Kis (not sure about Malwarebytes Anti-Malware). As far as i know KIs is one of those antivirii that don't like companions. If you opt for Kis, enable ,,application monitor or system watcher or something (KIS users help, please) and enable Kaspersky network. Regards.
Comodo is only good with @cruelsister or @Umbra settings.
Malwarebytes is flat out bad.

KIS has everything enabled already except TAM.

Bombus

Level 2
Verified
Jun 12, 2016
Comodo is only good with @cruelsister or @Umbra settings.
Malwarebytes is flat out bad.

KIS has everything enabled already except TAM.
Melek, i think Mark Harris should set comodo according to cruelssister's settings. Malwarebytes is not be best option, but still Mark Harris has a licence (paid? lifetime?trial?), it would be very good to have a very good antiPUAware, quite good IP blocker (I know some tricks with Comodo website filtering - a user can add block lists from... malwaredomains, mvp host,malocode, adaway, symantec(sic). Or Mark Harris has to stay with KIS alone (maybe with MBAM) with max settings. Regards and sorry about mistakes of English.

Reactions: Mark Harris

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
Melek, i think Mark Harris should set comodo according to cruelssister's settings. Malwarebytes is not be best option, but still Mark Harris has a licence (paid? lifetime?trial?), it would be very good to have a very good antiPUAware, quite good IP blocker (I know some tricks with Comodo website filtering - a user can add block lists from... malwaredomains, mvp host,malocode, adaway, symantec(sic). Or Mark Harris has to stay with KIS alone (maybe with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware) with max settings. Regards and sorry about mistakes of English.
CS settings wouldn't fit rookie people.

Mark Harris

Level 1
Thread author
Jul 9, 2017
Melek, i think Mark Harris should set comodo according to cruelssister's settings. Malwarebytes is not be best option, but still Mark Harris has a licence (paid? lifetime?trial?), it would be very good to have a very good antiPUAware, quite good IP blocker (I know some tricks with Comodo website filtering - a user can add block lists from... malwaredomains, mvp host,malocode, adaway, symantec(sic). Or Mark Harris has to stay with KIS alone (maybe with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware) with max settings. Regards and sorry about mistakes of English.
Yes I have had MB3 lifetime license for a LONG time now. :)
But I dont mind making the necessary changes if required.

Reactions: Bombus

Bombus

Level 2
Verified
Jun 12, 2016
Yes I have had MB3 lifetime license for a LONG time now. :)
But I dont mind making the necessary changes if required.
So my suggestion - stay with comodo (search for cruelsister's settings) and Malwarebytes (it has antiexploit protection, maybe not the best, still it has), or remove both of them and stay with KIS. (You can always go back to comodo and mbam). If you opt for Comodo+Mbam, visit sites (all of them) by rightclicking your browser ,,run in comodo container" or click on widget with browsers. Your browser will go sandboxed/isolated from system and your computer will be free of malware. Good luck and have a happy, malwareFree life.

Last edited:

Mark Harris

Level 1
Thread author
Jul 9, 2017
So my suggestion - stay with comodo (search for cruelsister's settings) and Malwarebytes (it has antiexploit protection, maybe not the best, still it has), or remove both of them and stay with KIS. (You can always go back to comodo and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware). If you opt for Comodo+Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, visit sites (all of them) by rightclicking your browser ,,run in comodo container) or click on widget with browsers. Your browser will go sandboxed/isolated from system and will stay of malware. Good luck and have a malwareFree life.
I like the Sandbox of comodo which was another reason for not wanting to remove it but I do like KIS protection too. Is there no similar Sandbox option with KIS or maybe other app that is compatible with KIS for sandboxing?

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
I like the Sandbox of comodo which was another reason for not wanting to remove it but I do like KIS protection too. Is there no similar Sandbox option with KIS or maybe other app that is compatible with KIS for sandboxing?
Sandboxie :D
there isn't something like that with KIS, no.

Glashouse

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jun 4, 2017
@mekelek how do you have AppGuard configured to have it running along KIS? I would expect that TAM is off and perhaps the hole program control module?
Currently I am playing with it too but it seems we are not getting friends...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.