AJCSTR

Thread author
Mar 15, 2016
I have 2 computers
1 - working 160 GB drive (Drive1)
2 - dead mobo 250 GB drive (Drive2)

So I want to put Drive 2 in computer 1 but retain os of drive1

Would these be the steps?

Split drive 2 into 2 partitions, rename the C drive partition to D, and delete the small system partition

Take a system Image of drive 1 and restore to the new empty partition of drive 2

Will this work or am I missing a step?

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
plug drive 2 in pc 1, rename letter and you should be able to use it as a secondary driver. That would be the easiest way. I believe you will need to boot up a partition manager perhaps or some program like those on boot level to actually change the partition letter, not sure on that.

AJCSTR

Thread author
Mar 15, 2016
Sorry - thought I said they were laptops but I left out that small detail

AJCSTR

Thread author
Mar 15, 2016
Did not see a 2nd bay - I'm not comfortable taking more apart than the memory and HD doors.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
you can get a usb adaptor for hdds of laptops, make it into external. that works too.
I have done that on one of my old C drives and when using as external, it changed letter automatically when i plug to working C drive OS.

Iapepe

Level 10
Verified
Mar 17, 2013
Enter the BIOS and set the boot order.
160 HDD first and second HDD250.
Jumpers must be set as a "slave" to the second HDD250 and HDD150 master at first.

AJCSTR

Thread author
Mar 15, 2016
Sorry, I appreciate the suggestions, but I would like to keep it to the original post :

Split drive 2 into 2 partitions, rename the C drive partition to D, and delete the small system partition

Take a system Image of drive 1 and restore to the new empty partition of drive 2

Will this work or am I missing a step?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.