Needing help on fixing an DNS Leak

Jcwisgod

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Dec 4, 2013
Hi, I've tried several different ways to keep my DNS from leaking, I've read several different sites on how to fix DNS leaks and nothing seems to work. Anyone know how fix this problem?

Jcwisgod

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Dec 4, 2013
use google dns servers.
I'm using google dns servers, I wish I could refind the link to something I read earlier about something to do with dns's still leaking your real IP even if you changed from your ISP one.

Rahadian Putra

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 28, 2014

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
Well, is your IP Dymanic? and what vpn service did you use? AFAIK that problem is due to dynamic IP, I was having the same problem, then after I changed my dns i use these commands on cmd

"ipconfig/flushdns" then reboot your PC, see if that can help (Windows 8)

more information here :

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/ip-release-renew-and-flush-dns

and here :

https://www.bestvpn.com/blog/5184/4-ways-to-prevent-a-dns-leak-when-using-vpn/

Hope this can resolve your problem :)
after flushing dns u need to clear browser cache & cookies ;)

Reactions: Rahadian Putra

Jcwisgod

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Dec 4, 2013
Well, is your IP Dymanic? and what vpn service did you use? AFAIK that problem is due to dynamic IP, I was having the same problem, then after I changed my dns i use these commands on cmd

"ipconfig/flushdns" then reboot your PC, see if that can help (Windows 8)

more information here :

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/ip-release-renew-and-flush-dns

and here :

https://www.bestvpn.com/blog/5184/4-ways-to-prevent-a-dns-leak-when-using-vpn/

Hope this can resolve your problem :)
You talking about internal IP or external? My internal IP is dhcp (dynamic), and external is static. I just flushed dns again, gonna see if it works or not I've tried it a couple times, I think i'm going to have to make my internal IP static if I'm correct

Jcwisgod

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Dec 4, 2013
It's a freeware software & a great dns switcher tool-
ChrisPC DNS Switch
Also u can use DNS crypt with open DNS to make it
more secure -
DNSCrypt | OpenDNS
I just switched my DNS to Comodos to test if it still leaks, I've read before that DNS crypt takes up alot of resources, not sure if it's true or not still.

Still appears to be leaking, it should be using the VPN's DNS server,
jW5h6Nf.png

I

illumination

It isn't showing my ISP dns server, it's showing the 3rd party one that I changed to instead of the VPN one
I may end up corrected here, but if my memory serves me well, and it is indeed showing your 3rd party DNS, but not your VPN, then it is your VPN's responsibility to patch this problem, not on your end. I remember Cyberghost having a leak issue, and patching it upon the next release.

Reactions: Rahadian Putra

Rahadian Putra

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 28, 2014
According to my experience that issues usually due to dynamic IP, unless your ISP using transparent dns of course, but since you already resolved it, I think the problem is related to your Vpn service like Illumination said

Jcwisgod

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Dec 4, 2013
I may end up corrected here, but if my memory serves me well, and it is indeed showing your 3rd party DNS, but not your VPN, then it is your VPN's responsibility to patch this problem, not on your end. I remember Cyberghost having a leak issue, and patching it upon the next release.
I believe that's right, I got 2 VPN's on my computer, both leak my 3rd party DNS, I probably got something configured wrong somewhere

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.