NekoJonez security set-up

NekoJonez

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 3, 2015
Note, that I only visit sample sites in my VM. Since that's way easier to clean then a real machine. :D.

But I think I'm pretty secured on the interwebs. Apart from the sometimes some very minor adware, never got an infection since MyCoolWebSearch adware almost 8 years ago.

Maybe a little bit overkill, but in my teen years I had experiences with malware like Sasser, Trojan Hider, nasty adware, fake cracks... Experiments gone wrong. This made me a bit paranoid when it comes to security and I update all my software to the latest version. I use FileHippo Update Checker for that.

I rarely uninstall a program using control panel. I uninstall those with Revo Uninstaller.

Also, if I see a spike in internet traffic, I always fire up WireShark among a few other NirSoft and SysInternal tools to double check if a process isn't infected.

Last edited:

NekoJonez

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 3, 2015
Well, I'm about to reinstall Firefox, since it refuses to install extensions.

EDIT: Actually, Removed firefox for now. BitDefender is being annoying and I don't feel like fixing it.

Last edited:

NatsuruHaveALife :D

Level 2
Verified
May 18, 2015
good setup. Bitdefender is good. I use Kaspersky Personally. Probably my top ones are KIS, Comodo, BD, and Trend Micro. and Norton. Norton is my age old companion. that and kaspersky. If you want to count comodo, i used it since 2011. norton since 98, and been using KIS since 2013. every AV has pros and cons. There really is no AV that is better than another, besides protection. Its all according to who uses it, and what they want it to do. CIS, or KIS are my preferences. NS is there too, because norton does a good job relatively. my moms used it for years, and i check her PC on a regular basis, and its never been infected but once, since she first owned a PC. and that was by a zero day in firefox, she used IE.

NekoJonez

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 3, 2015
Switched over to Avira free for now since I dont have the budget to by an AV atm.

I stopped using Reason Core Security since I hate the way the are pushing the payed version in your face. Its like: "Virus found but you need to buy the product to remove it" Ugh. It was a nice 2nd opinion

NekoJonez

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 3, 2015
Avast free, Qihoo 360, and Sophos home free.
Those are nice as well, but I love how I can manage my multiple PC's with Avira Free easily :) I can easily update or install additional security on other devices without doing it all manually :3

D: Noticed that I forgot to say I use Ghostery now. Fixed that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
D: Noticed that I forgot to say I use Ghostery now. Fixed that.
Ghostery is a troublesome plugin.

Google or search in MT for posts about it.

In any case, uBlock Origin and ABP does the same thing basically. However if you intend to use Ghostery, run Ghostery with Ghost Rank disabled (That is if that option still exists as I have not used Ghostery for ages).

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.