Technology Netflix may monetize Games with In-App Purchases, Ads and Premium Charges

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
The Wall Street Journal has reported that executives at Netflix have been having discussions over the last few months over a selection of options to keep users coming back to the streaming service. Ideas that have been floated are not new ones and already exist within the mobile gaming world. This includes in-app purchases within games as well as charging a fee for titles that are more premium (which may include titles such as the aforementioned indie title Hades).

This might also be extended to providing users who subscribe to the ad-supported tier access to the gaming library (something that is not yet available), but these games would then only be available with ads in them. Previously Netflix held the position that it did not want to include ads or other monetization methods within games on its platform. However it appears that has changed in the last few months.

Stargazer_Steve

Level 1
Dec 2, 2022
Their decline in viewership also comes from their recent strict enforcement of no account sharing with friends/family. I think Netflix underestimated how many people (myself included), leech off of relatives/friends Netflix accounts. I'd have thought less viewership = less money? I always thought these streaming sites get their least amount of revenue from subscriptions itself? I could be completely wrong though!

Also, I don't like seeing games on there as it is lol, I'm there to watch stuff not play mobile games which I can access on my phone at any point.. it's just more eye sore stuff and pointless scrolling to get to what I'd like 😩

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Their decline in viewership also comes from their recent strict enforcement of no account sharing with friends/family.
Indeed, I watch Netflix maybe 3-4 times per month, not to mention I get like 10% of content US users have and they want a full price?! 🤣
I am perfectly happy paying only $4 per month for Premium and I am not ashamed at all, I share only with 3 people and it works just great.

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Major streaming services test releasing children's content on YouTube and cut back on fare for kids. From a report: Netflix's share of U.S. streaming viewership by 2- to 11-year-olds fell to 21% in September from 25% two years earlier, according to Nielsen. Meanwhile, YouTube's share jumped to 33% from 29.4% over the same period. That reality is changing major streaming services' approach to children's entertainment, from what shows and movies they make to where they release them.

According to MoffettNathanson, the U.S. pay-tv industry had its worst-ever third quarter after losing about 900,000 subscribers. "That poor result, the research firm added, left the total pay-TV industry shrinking at a record pace of -7.3%, widened from a year-ago decline of -5.9%," reports Light Reading. "It also left pay-tv penetration of occupied households (including vMVPDs) at just 54.8% -- a level last seen in 1989, five years before the debut of DirecTV."

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.