Advice Request Network adapter Q? re isolation

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
EDIT see post #2 below for adapter question, post #1 is background to put it into context.

is 16.2.5 build 20904516 still the most stable version for win10 (limited w10 by hardware) I ask because suddenly my VMware lost internet connection, VM systray icon says "unidentified network -- no internet access" -- this came out of the blue, I made no changes and it affects all my VMs, I've located this support page & just started reading, any other insights. Wondering if I should try to fix the network which seem "complicated" as i have no idea what happened, or perhaps upgrade to 17 and see if that fixes this issue... o_O:sick::unsure: I am not even sure exactly where the problem is, VMware, specific VM, router config, &/or isp, other night connection was unusually slow and I got a isp level2 poking around my modem, but did not give him any access into my system, and then VMs lost connection. Local IT friend says the isp tech could not have messed with my system -- a coincidence. Not sure I believe that, but... :unsure:
PS my VM network adapter is set to Bridged (automatic) | Bridged connected directly to the physical network.
Y'all know what I know && probably lots more... Everything VM was (or seemed) rock solid for many months, so I paid no attention to it.

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2019836

Last edited:

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
update to above re fixing the VM connection: above weblink very helpful for me -- item 6) on that page if Bridged change to NAT, or visa versa. I was Bridged and changed to NAT and I now have the VM connection back :D VMw_link also suggests reinstalling VMware to correct any anomalies, (see my post #1 above). Have not reinstalled VM 16.2.5 yet, and still network adapter is NAT, had run it Bridged the past several months (not sure it will connect if set to Bridged) In the meantime, which network adapter setting provides the best or optimal isolation between the Host and Guest? Bridged, NAT or other, if other please delineate, or provide link. I may have known this, but I forget... :oops::rolleyes:

EDIT so after following url link steps 6 7 & 8, I switched back to Bridged (automatic) and now Bridged is WORKING. :D:geek:
but still the question, for best isolation, bridged, nat or other... thanks

Last edited:

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
openAi chatgpt gave me a good summary but I think it was out of context. It said NAT provided a layer of protection & isolation that Bridged did not, but it seemed to be in the context of protecting the VM (and the Host) from "forces" on the interent-side of the firewall. But what about in the context of running malware analysis on VM, which setting better protects the Host from the malware on the VM? :unsure:
PS currently my VM network adapter is NAT but not intentionally running malware on my VM.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.