network86 config

network86

Thread author
Oct 12, 2011
Sandboxie

Utilities: Ccleaner

I recently uninstalled NIS 2012 as it caused problems when i upgraded from NIS 2011. So i thought i'd try out the new CIS 5.8. :)

So what do you think? Any suggestions?

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
you can add Emsisoft Anti-Malware without real-time protection, JUST for on-demand scanner.
since, comodo AV NOT good. CIS great at prevention (defense + with firewall also sandbox).
making system stay clean.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
network86 said:
So what do you think? Any suggestions?

Very solid security configuration.
Do you use any custom settings for CIS ?

You can add a few plugins to your browser to increase the level of protection :

WOT (Free) - link
To help you avoid malicious sites you can use Web of Trust (WOT) a website rating browser plugin. After you add it to your browser make sure you only visit websites rated "Green" by WOT

Are you using any password managers?? If not you could install Lastpass (a browser add-on)
LastPass (Free) - link
LastPass is an online password manager and form filler that makes web browsing easier and more secure.

Also you can install this great addon which will allow you scan any new download with +40 different scanners.
VTzilla (Free) - link
VTzilla is a Mozilla Firefox browser plugin that simplifies the process of scanning Internet resources with VirusTotal. It allows you to download files directly with VirusTotal's web application prior to storing them in your PC. Moreover, it will not only scan files, but also URLs.
The scanning options are embedded in Firefox's context menu and download dialog, making the analysis process as easy as clicking a single button.

D

Deleted member 178

with CIS on real time & MBAM on demand plus Sandboxie, you are more than good, CIS AV is good enough for a normal usage of your computer (no virus testing, safe web surfing, etc...). add what Jack said and you will be ok.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well that's a better setup since CIS is became a user friendly so popups for trusted programs were few alerts.

network86

Thread author
Oct 12, 2011
Thanks for your input guys.
I realise Comodos AV isn't the best but i always like to install components from the same company. But i have just uninstalled Comodo AV anyway and just downloaded Avast free AV and kept Comodo firewall which i hear is a great combo?

Settings i have changed in Comodo are:
Firewall alert settings: medium.
Sandbox: changed partially limited to limited.

I have disabled Avasts auto sandbox and im using Comodos sandbox, is there any other settings that you think i should change to avoid conflicts between Comodo and Avast?

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
network86 said:
I realise Comodos AV isn't the best but i always like to install components from the same company.
+1 On this! I also like to use CIS as full suite. And to be fair I do think that CAV a very decent antivirus engine....they have a great heuristic engine and always seems to detect everything when I do some personal test.
Does using Avast Free with Comodo Firewall affect your system performance?

network86

Thread author
Oct 12, 2011
Jack said:
network86 said:
I realise Comodos AV isn't the best but i always like to install components from the same company.
+1 On this! I also like to use CIS as full suite. And to be fair I do think that CAV a very decent antivirus engine....they have a great heuristic engine and always seems to detect everything when I do some personal test.
Does using Avast Free with Comodo Firewall affect your system performance?

I agree that Comodos AV is very good, but from what ive read and seen its not the best there is.
So far there isnt any impact on system performance. But after reading up, it is advised to disable Avasts behaviour blocker and Web shield. So now Avast has a warning sign, which is annoying.
The only issue i had so far with Comodo 5.8 is the "enhanched protection mode" slows and then eventually freezes my computer!

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
You can choose a custom install for Avast and deselect the modules you don't need, this way you avoid the warning sign that appears when you disable a module. Web Shield never caused problems for me but the Behavior Blocker can cause problems and the Sandbox in Avast is most likely not needed when combining Avast with Comodo Firewall.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
It's been a while since I've used Avast so I can't tell you exactly where to do this, but there is a way in the GUI to tell it not to monitor each shield. This will do away with the warning sign.

As far as the enhanced protection mode in CIS, that's the reason it's an option. Those features were enabled in the first couple of betas, but they decided to make them as an option because there is the rare case that they could cause problems on some machines.

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
network86 said:
But after reading up, it is advised to disable Avasts behaviour blocker and Web shield. So now Avast has a warning sign, which is annoying.
You can disable monitoring of Avast Behavior and Web shield so you wont get the annoying warning sign. Go to "Status bar" in settings, disable the monitoring of those shields and the Avast icon will not show a warning sign.

Bo

network86

Thread author
Oct 12, 2011
Just an update on my config. Ok, so after trying different variations of security products i have decided what i think works best and which i prefer. For a while now i've been using CIS 5.8 and Kingosft Pc Doctor for my realtime scanning and i love it. Both are light and i have had no problems or conflictions with each other. I was looking for an extra layer of security to run along CIS to increase protection, something like MBAM Pro but free and i came across Kingsoft. I was never a fan of "tune up" applications which comes with Kingsoft, but it works well.
Languy99 happenes to have the same config and uploaded a video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQfTH91kyms&feature=feedu

As you can see from the video it works well. :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.