Neuralink human brain-computer implant trials finally get FDA approval

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
"Elon Musk’s brain-computer interface company Neuralink announced on Thursday evening that it has received FDA approval to begin conducting human trials. News of the major step arrives after years of research and numerous regulatory hurdles, as well as multiple investigations into potential safety and animal ethics violations."

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
Isn't this that thing that was accused of killing several monkeys during the trials?

Not unlike the cosmetics industry that kills several thousand animals of all varieties, or the pharmaceutical, or fashion, or etc., etc, industries for human' vanity.

Bloody good luck to him I say. The people who stand to gain the most are para/quadriplegic's, stroke victims, epileptics, MS sufferers, among others.

Love or hate Musk, he is the ONLY mega rich person(Bill and Melinda Gates excepted) using his money to, at least, try to make our lives better.

I for one reckon he's brilliant!

... and, I suspect there will be millions of volunteers.

Scirious

Level 2
Feb 22, 2022
Not unlike the cosmetics industry that kills several thousand animals of all varieties, or the pharmaceutical, or fashion, or etc., etc, industries for human' vanity.

Bloody good luck to him I say. The people who stand to gain the most are para/quadriplegic's, stroke victims, epileptics, MS sufferers, among others.

Love or hate Musk, he is the ONLY mega rich person(Bill and Melinda Gates excepted) using his money to, at least, try to make our lives better.

I for one reckon he's brilliant!

... and, I suspect there will be millions of volunteers.

I'm just afraid of how many people could die because he's not known for being the person most compliant to safety protocols. Apart from that, he is also known for pushing too hard for advancement without considering the risks.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
The Neuralink volunteer application is now open.

Neuralink says it aims to enroll people with quadriplegia due to a spinal cord injury or ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis). Volunteers will have a wireless brain-computer interface implant, dubbed N1, surgically embedded into their brains by the company's experimental surgical robot, R1. The implant device is said to have 1,024 electrodes distributed across 64 threads thinner than a human hair. After R1 inserts the threads into the appropriate brain region, the electrodes are designed to record neural activity related to movement intention, and an experimental app from the company will decode the signals. The goal of the N1 implantation is to allow trial participants to control a computer cursor or keyboard using only their thoughts. This trial will primarily evaluate safety, but also get a glimpse of efficacy, Neuralink says.

I know we're not supposed to interject too much personal feeling into a news post but...🥶

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.