Neurons in a dish learn to play Pong - what’s next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pixelman

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 7, 2022
Hundreds of thousands of human neurons growing in a dish coated with electrodes have been taught to play a version of the classic computer game Pong1.

In doing so, the cells join a growing pantheon of Pong players, including pigs taught to manipulate joysticks with their snouts2 and monkeys wired to control the game with their minds. (Google’s DeepMind artificial-intelligence (AI) algorithms mastered Pong many years ago3 and have moved on to more-sophisticated computer games such as StarCraft II4.)

Intelligence in a dish

The work is a proof of principle that neurons in a dish can learn and exhibit basic signs of intelligence, says lead author Brett Kagan, chief scientific officer at Cortical Labs in Melbourne, Australia. “In current textbooks, neurons are thought of predominantly in terms of their implications for human or animal biology,” he says. “They’re not thought about as an information processor, but a neuron is this amazing system that can process information in real time with very low power consumption.”

TedCruz

Level 5
Aug 19, 2022
Many people would like to talk to animals, but I am not sure if they are ready to listen to animals. :(
IMG_20221015_174715.jpg

I know based on your profile that you are from Poland so all you have to do is wait for midnight during Xmass Eve and you can converse with animals.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
View attachment 270053

I know based on your profile that you are from Poland so all you have to do is wait for midnight during Xmass Eve and you can converse with animals.
I tried many times without any success. :)
But, even if I would, I am still not sure if people (including me) are ready to listen carefully to what animals are going to say. Furthermore, I noticed that most people do not listen carefully to other people, even if they are using the same language.

Brahman

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
If we can program the neurons and then use it to replace the dead brain cells , we may be able to cure people with dementia, Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson disease etc in future and We may once have a living portable hdd with us, then nobody can accuse me that I am not using my brain.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.