Not open for further replies.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
http://www.softpedia.com/blog/new-b...e-browser-is-blazing-fast-487524.shtml#sgal_0

Edge put against rivals such as Chrome and Firefox
Microsoft’s betting big on Edge, the new browser offered on Windows 10 PCs, tablets, and smartphones, so benchmarks released by the company show that its new app is faster than rivals such as Chrome and Firefox.

ild7dd.jpg

But some independent tests created by AnandTech show that Microsoft Edge is indeed blazing fast, and while it scored very well in the majority of the tests, it lost the battle with Google Chrome in a few.

Microsoft Edge got the best score in Sunspider and Octane 2.0, while Google Chrome 43 took the leading spot in Kraken 1.1, where it achieved a score of 1618.7ms versus 1797.9ms for Edge (lower is better).

Edge got a rather poor score in WebXPRT benchmarks, but its performance still shows significant improvements over Internet Explorer 11, which was the last browser in the charts. Microsoft’s new browser also performed reasonably well in Oort Online benchmarks, but still behind Google Chrome and Firefox 39, and got a rather average score in HTML5.

Keep in mind, however, that Edge is still work in progress and Microsoft should continue improving its browser in the coming months. A big update for Edge is coming later this year with new features, such as extension support and other goodies.

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
Even if you could get Edge on Windows 8 (which I personally think they SHOULD allow it. I mean come on, it's just a browser), it wouldn't be an upgrade since it's a completely different engine I believe. On WIndows 10 you have both IE 11 and Edge. While Edge is fast as all hell, it doesn't support any extensions yet. Another words, it's a very boring browser. All speed, not much of anything else. I'm most likely going to use Firefox/Chrome browser regardless... I don't see Edge having much to offer at the time besides speed and stability. Both are needed, but they missed out on customizations which are also needed. I feel Edge is bare bone and is probably why it is fast in the first place but at the same time supports pretty much everything unlike Maxthon Nitro.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Paul B.

Level 4
Verified
Dec 21, 2014
I see Edge doing well in two of those six tests - and they just happen to be the first two listed, for some strange reason - and not particularly well in the rest. And seeing same-test spreads of 4000 points between different firefox versions, and 2000 points between different chrome versions, may indicate that the tests are overly sensitive to certain criteria.

A big update for Edge is coming later this year with new features, such as extension support and other goodies.

Which will slow it down.

Korora

Level 2
Verified
Jul 22, 2015
These are really good results, but lets hope it doesn't slow down over time ;)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Can you uninstall IE? With-out causing headaches/problems?

No you cannot uninstall IE, only updates and opt out on Windows feature. Its a built in from Windows therefore no any hacks are existed.

---------------------------------------

Meanwhile I'm not quite surprise from numerous benchmarks release where Microsoft Edge is in favor but for sure there are more for improvements which should happen even though the next major release of Windows is far away at the moment.

Reactions: Moose
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.