Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
microsoft_store-100015179-orig_story.jpg

Today, Glenn Greenwald, the journalist behind the NSA revelations, released an excerpt from his new book, 'No Place to Hide.' The book mainly focuses on Greenwald's relationship with Edward Snowden, the man responsible for leaking the information about the NSA's spying programs, but also contains four interesting new slides detailing the NSA's relationship with Microsoft and it's data collection from Skype, Outlook.com and SkyDrive (now called OneDrive).

Discovered by TechCrunch, the new documents show that Microsoft was complict with the NSA in sharing user information, amongst other things, with the intelligence agency. At the time, Microsoft provided the following statements regarding the data collection:

SkyDrive:

In 2013 we made changes to our processes to be able to continue to comply with an increasing number of legal demands of governments worldwide. None of these changes provided any government with direct access to SkyDrive.

Outlook.com:

First, while we did discuss legal compliance requirements with the government as reported last week, in none of these discussions did Microsoft provide or agree to provide any government with direct access to user content or the ability to break our encryption. Second, these discussions were instead about how Microsoft would meet its continuing obligation to comply with the law by providing specific information in response to lawful government orders.

The reporting last week made allegations about a specific change in 2012. We continue to enhance and evolve the Skype offerings and have made a number of improvements to the technical back-end for Skype, such as the 2012 move to in-house hosting of “supernodes” and the migration of much Skype IM traffic to servers in our data centers. These changes were not made to facilitate greater government access to audio, video, messaging or other customer data.

Below are excerpted documents from today's Greenwald leaks.

screen-shot-2014-05-13-at-2-47-00-pm_story.jpg

screen-shot-2014-05-13-at-2-47-07-pm_story.jpg

1_screen-shot-2014-05-13-at-2-47-12-pm_story.jpg

1_screen-shot-2014-05-13-at-2-47-17-pm_story.jpg

While the documents do not reveal much new information, they do highlight just how close Microsoft is working with the NSA in passing over user data.

Source: Glenn Greenwald, TechCrunch | Image via PC World

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Well i will be very impressed if they manage to hack into my Vintage Olympia SM-9 Monica De Luxe which is still working just fine.
Add to this very impressive security package a NO Internet/TV and a NOT existent phone connection with a 3000 dollar per second premium number.
And your dirty online habits are guaranteed safe.

NSA, FBI, MS = So 1930's

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Well i will be very impressed if they manage to hack into my Vintage Olympia SM-9 Monica De Luxe which is still working just fine.
Add to this very impressive security package a NO Internet/TV and a NOT existent phone connection with a 3000 dollar per second premium number.
And your dirty online habits are guaranteed safe.

NSA, FBI, MS = So 1930's
Nico!:) You really had me going there for a minute or three,:confused: my friend, as I became intriguedo_O about your high tech 'Vintage Olympia SM-9 Monica De Luxe which is still working just fine.':oops: added to your 'securitypackage..NO Internet/TV and a NOT existent phone...with a 3K dollars perhour 2nd premium#':rolleyes:;) Lol!!!!:D:cool:

Reactions: Nico@FMA
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.