Advice Request New Emsisoft Anti-Malware 2018.8 GUI feedback

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I think in this order would be awesome.

When the system is clean EAM shows = Sup m8 no virus here

When EAM is not too sure = I think you're clean but can't tell?

When EAM knows your infected = Your fault
  • Infection detected. Why did you even execute this in the first place?
  • Emsisoft blocked a threat. You know Myriam doesn't "want to meet you", don't you?
  • System scan completed. No threats detected. For now...
  • Infection deleted. Hey, worm.32gen: I am your father!

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Indeed. And now we're even privy to the information that Emsisoft is used mostly by old people!

Emsisoft used to be the darling of security forums and prosumers. Not so much so. Maybe because of it's cost, and the rising competency of lower cost, higher device count alternative solutions. Back in the day when Emsisoft was a proud warrior, Norton was almost useless, McAfee was a virus, FortiClient didn't exist and Panda was an animal in Asia. These days - lots of low cost (or free) options.

D

Deleted member 178

Maybe because of it's cost, and the rising competency of lower cost, higher device count alternative solutions. .
Mostly because the simplification of its product; they choose ease-of-use and automatism to fit the needs of their main customer type , the seniors (which is logic business practice). The product is still good, nothing changed much in the core mechanism, just the GUI is simplified (like the removal of the BB setting, back in the days you could make it a hybrid between HIPS and BB) to prevent wrong manipulations by not-so-skilled users.

Fabian Wosar

From Emsisoft
Thread author
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Jun 29, 2014
Well, he said Emsi can't fully develop an engine because that would require increasing telemetry, so they use Bitdefender, which takes the telemetry for development; so, sort of outsourcing the stuff.
We have a fully developed engine. Timely sample acquisition is an issue though. It is solved by most AVs just uploading interesting looking files they don't know about yet from their customer base for analysis.

Fabian Wosar

From Emsisoft
Thread author
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Jun 29, 2014
That means, if I understood it, that you're piggybacking on the telemetry of BD's users. Nothing inherently wrong with it, but... It does sound weird.
If by that you mean, that our customers benefit from Bitdefender siphoning off files from their installation base to improve their signature detection, then yes. However, this kind of business practice isn't isolated to one vendor but the majority of them do it. Sometimes you can turn it off. Sometimes you only can in the paid versions of their products. So free users essentially pay by turning their systems into Petri dishes for the paying customers.

Fabian Wosar

From Emsisoft
Thread author
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Jun 29, 2014
@Fabian Wosar, I like the way the UI looks. Just wondering if this might be a graphical error down below. Not sure what it means next to Quarantine. Does the 5123 mean i should have that amount of items in quarantine?
It is supposed to be, yes. Looks like the label there isn't hooked up to the actual number of quarantined objects but is hardcoded. We will fix it :)

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
How I wish other developers of AV were like Fabian, a guy whoparticipates in and listen to the community, unlike most outthere, support is something serious and essential for thesuccess of a product, and the Emsisoft note 10 in this regard.

I remember entering the Emsisoft forum some time ago, giving a hint about an obscure theme for its interface, and now I see that it will be implemented soon, I can't wait :emoji_ok_hand:

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

How I wish other developers of AV were like Fabian, a guy whoparticipates in and listen to the community, unlike most outthere, support is something serious and essential for thesuccess of a product, and the Emsisoft note 10 in this regard.

I remember entering the Emsisoft forum some time ago, giving a hint about an obscure theme for its interface, and now I see that it will be implemented soon, I can't wait :emoji_ok_hand:

Indeed, I like that aspect a lot. Depending on priorities, it's often worth the price of admission. For example some people pay more for Fortinet vs other UTM's because in 3 minutes or less you can get a Fortinet Engineer on the phone and solving your issue. Even on the 8X5 support packages Fortinet will overnight you a new device (advanced replacement) without waiting for you to send the other one back. Sometimes that comes with a bit of a premium but when you need support, it's often worth it.

Another aspect I like is the distributed development model. It's pretty hard to compromise development of something when it's decentralized. Some of the best activist, disclosure, whistleblower groups survive because of a desire to decentralize everything. Others survive from that model as well as resisting having a single all-powerful leader that can be a point of attack. These are important things in these troubled times and shouldn't be underestimated. I highly doubt firms like Gdata and Emsisoft will 'sell you out' on a dime..

Emsisoft

From Emsisoft
Verified
Developer
Jul 27, 2013
> And now we're even privy to the information that Emsisoft is used mostly by old people!

It's not that we created the software for elderly people in particular, it's just a general effect that applies to pretty much all underdog software brands around. I guess it's because retired people have more time to do research before they decide to buy. Similar to the geeks who just love to test everything that's available.

While the average user gets flooded with marketing from the big brands (including freeware stuff), those who dig a bit deeper and appreciate a higher level of quality will sooner or later come across our name. This is also why our customer loyalty is very high compared to other brands.

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
GUI in new beta is like trying to find 12 polar bears in a snow storm, the whiteness could possibly cause snow blindness. And its also possible that it could cause carpal tunnel in your finger from all of the scrolling involved. Not a fan.

Fabian Wosar

From Emsisoft
Thread author
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Jun 29, 2014
GUI in new beta is like trying to find 12 polar bears in a snow storm, the whiteness could possibly cause snow blindness. And its also possible that it could cause carpal tunnel in your finger from all of the scrolling involved. Not a fan.
Dark mode will come in the next release. You can also simply click the top menu short cuts to get to the section directly without scrolling.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
A few hours ago, it was updated to ver.2018.8.0.8910. Changing the UI is slight, but when moving each screen, I felt the amount of movement of the mouse increased. Well, I'm not adjusting that much so it's not a big problem.;)

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Just tried new BETA and I must seriously ask how this UI is more simplified for elders, for automated alerts, yes, for managing/finding right settings, no. My suggestion would be to move all settings to online console and leave client UI simple with option to toggle advanced settings, similiar like Sophos Home, but I understand that would require a lot of work.

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
@Fabian Wosar Just received the GUI update. It looks good. But the smooth scrolling is laggy on integrated graphics from Intel (i7 4700MQ). Knowing that you told us that Emsisoft switched to hardware acceleration I went into the Nvidia control panel and made it render Emsisoft Security Center through my dedicated GPU and lo it's smooth and beautiful. So maybe for a future update make sure that Emsisoft Security Center uses the dedicated GPU if available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.