New European Union law requires smartphones, laptops to have easily replaceable batteries

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
The European Union has passed a new law that requires smartphones to come with batteries that can be easily replaced by the user. The EU had initially submitted a proposal regarding the rules about 6 months ago.

The law isn't specific to mobile phones, it covers various types of batteries, including those in laptops, tablets, gaming consoles, electric vehicles, appliances, gardening tools, cordless power tools, etc. According to a PDF published by the EU, a portable battery will be considered to be user-removable when it can be removed with tools that are available commercially, and does not require specialized tools unless they have been provided free of charge. Any proprietary tools, thermal energy or solvents (heat guns), etc., are considered specialized tools.

The European Union Parliament passed the law regarding the battery regulations a few days ago, with 587 votes in favor of the change. It has published some guidelines that OEMs will have to follow in order to comply with the law regarding the battery life cycle, design and end-of-life for portable batteries. There are a couple of reasons why the EU implemented the rules.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I had my Huawei battery replaced by their Huawei shop. It's safer for me.

User normally would get cheaper non-branded battery which can affect the performance of the phone, having a shorter battery life and pose a fire hazard

Replacement by the manufactureer's authorized seller/shop would prevent the aforementioned.

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Replacement by the manufactureer's authorized seller/shop would prevent the aforementioned.
EU has been going big on sustainability, just recently they banned false eco claims (such as bio-degradable when only few ingredients of the formulation are such) and they banned the cartridge monopoly.

Now they’re banning the battery replacement monopoly. Apple recently hiked the prices on that to £130 and people are getting rid of new-ish devices because of degraded battery.
I mean if I’m gonna pay £130 on an old phone, I might as well get a new one.
They say it generates e-waste.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
EU has been going big on sustainability, just recently they banned false eco claims (such as bio-degradable when only few ingredients of the formulation are such) and they banned the cartridge monopoly.

Now they’re banning the battery replacement monopoly. Apple recently hiked the prices on that to £130 and people are getting rid of new-ish devices because of degraded battery.
I mean if I’m gonna pay £130 on an old phone, I might as well get a new one.
They say it generates e-waste.

I rather pay more for a genuine battery after all the battery can last a few years. By then you can replace your old handphone for a new one

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
And what if opening the case damages the IP rating? Who replaces the phone when it fills with dust/water and dies? Ma and Pa Kettle at the shopping centre pop-up? Cause Apple sure as hell won't.

Nup, only genuine service for me.
You are expecting the EU to think too deep… it is not their specialty. They never foresee the secondary problems.

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Read that headline :love: The battle never ends
The European Union (EU) has voted in favor of a new regulation that would require mobile manufacturers to make phone batteries “easily” replaceable by users, and the controversial proposal could have serious implications for the future of Apple’s iPhones.

At present, iPhone batteries are notoriously difficult to access and replace, with Apple’s best iPhones demanding hefty repair fees once their batteries begin to degrade. However, many Apple fans fear that the tech giant could be forced to dramatically redesign the iPhone in order to accommodate the EU’s new requirements.

“Being able to swap batteries would be amazing but if it means compromising the design of the iPhone I’d rather just go without,” one Twitter user wrote in response to the news, while another said: “That might be going a bit too far. The EU needs to slow down. I’m on board with USB-C [regulation], but not this one.”

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
The European Union (EU) has adopted new rules that will require all smartphones sold in the bloc to have user-replaceable batteries by 2027. The new rules are part of a broader effort to reduce electronic waste and promote repairability.

Currently, most smartphones have sealed batteries that are difficult or impossible for consumers to replace. This means that when a battery starts to degrade, users have to either buy a new phone or take it to a repair shop. The new EU rules will make it easier for consumers to extend the life of their smartphones by simply replacing the battery.

The new rules will apply to all smartphones sold in the EU, regardless of where they are manufactured. This means that Apple, Samsung, and other OEMs will all have to comply with the new regulations.

"The regulation sets targets for producers to collect waste portable batteries (63% by the end of 2027 and 73% by the end of 2030), and introduces a dedicated collection objective for waste batteries for light means of transport (51% by the end of 2028 and 61% by the end of 2031)."

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
1 step forward, 2 steps back.
Remember that consumers expect certain things from smartphones nowadays, which will mean that OEMs can’t just go back to the old way of doing things. An IP68 rating would be very difficult to obtain while still offering a premium-feeling device with an easily replaceable battery, for example. These are hurdles OEMs will need to get over to be in compliance.
Regardless, things are going to be very different in just a few years!
Source: It's official: Smartphones will need to have replaceable batteries by 2027

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I have mixed feelings about this. Unlike in US, people around here do not buy used phones, since new phones are "free" as part of a subscription. Plus used phones are clearly used and lack new features, like a better camera, new android. It will only increase the cost of new phones, because manufacturers will have to produce batteries that no one will buy. Not to mention other issues.

Sure, many people avoid buying an old phone, because of an old battery, but when someone sells an old phone for $400, while you can get a better new one for $200, it is a no brainer.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.