New Facebook Dating Service

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
On Tuesday, after being dragged into a scandal involving the political number-crunching outfit Cambridge Analytica, Facebook revealed its killer PR move. Yes, it is launching a brand new dating platform within Facebook, harking back to the site’s original function of ranking women on their levels of hotness.
Speaking to developers at the company’s annual F8 conference, Facebook chief executive Mark Zuckerberg explained that the dating service will exist as its own section of the mobile app. Users can create a separate, private profile for dating that is hidden from friends on their public Facebook page. The service will also have its own bespoke messaging platform, rather than forcing would-be Romeos to rely on Messenger or WhatsApp. This is presumably designed to prevent its users from accidentally sending texts meant for their matches to high school friends or distant relatives.
In his speech, Zuckerberg emphasised that the service will aim to function more like “the way people actually date”, linking into the community elements of Facebook. Rather than just getting stack of random users to swipe through based on location, the service will try matching you with people attending the same events as you, share similar interests, or are part of the same groups.
“This is going to be for building real, long-term relationships,” Zuckerberg pointedly, naively stated in his keynote address, “Not just hook-ups.”
I don’t need to tell you that this announcement comes off the back of a truly horrific month for Facebook’s global reputation. Even before the Cambridge Analytica news broke, Facebook was battling against an unrelenting spotlight on the proliferation of “fake news”. Those who quit the site received bordering-on-creepy messages attempting to lure users back. Although each PR nightmare has garnered a variety of responses, there is a common theme: users are starting to see Facebook as untrustworthy and a violator of privacy.

So Facebook decided that the best thing to do was to ask its users to hand over access to their humiliating pick-up lines, their sexual fetishes, and, inevitably – if other dating apps are to go by – their nudes, in the name of dragging them through the hellish process that is modern dating.
Zuck: The sanctity of your private info is extremely important. We're sorry we were untrustworthy.​
Zuck 5 minutes later: Please upload the contours of your sex life and desires directly into our app​
— Sam Biddle (@samfbiddle) May 1, 2018
This service launch comes alongside news that Facebook just had to sack one of their own employees for allegedly bragging about being a “professional stalker” thanks to the private access he gains to user profiles as a security engineer at Facebook (the chief security officer Alex Stamos also said that the social media giant had strict policy controls, and he was investigating whether they had been abused). With 25,000 employees, the risk of one going rogue is high. The launch of Facebook Dating adds even more data to the mix.

An official launch date for the service has not been released. In the meantime, the single cynics among us can wait with bated breath for the exciting moment when this all inevitably goes wrong.

Attachments

• 1525462929662.png
    1525462929662.png
    519 KB · Views: 542
Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 178

I heard you don't even have a credit card, how you are going to take her to restaraunt? Oh, she will stay as your "online" girl, just like Cortana. :ROFLMAO:
At least Cortana is obedient , that is an tremendous advantage over a real gf LOL :p

Yes! 5 years is far too long for a gf. You need to move on.
+1

I'd rather stay forever alone than join Facebook...
So you are adept of the old way? "one hand on the keyboard, another on your beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep " :ROFLMAO:

:eek: @Telos, i have been "dating" my BF for ermmm, cough, cough, 22 years, there is no hope for me i guess. Maybe i will join FB's new dating site and see what happens. A change is as good as a rest they say :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
An old sage lurking in some dark corners of this security forum once said: "it is not because you have a good cook at home that you can't go to the restaurant" :devil:

The grass ain't always greener on the other side. :coffee:
what kind of grass :sneaky:? i don't like when some are stuck between my teeth LOOOOOOOOOOOL

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
At least Cortana is obedient , that is an tremendous advantage over a real gf LOL :p

+1

Aren't all GF's obedient ? (i certainly am ;))

what kind of grass :sneaky:? i don't like when some are stuck between my teeth LOOOOOOOOOOOL
Missy @Weebarra to the left images (280x180).jpg Mr @Umbra to the right

But she will tell all your information to her dad(MS). Atleast she's got some quality of women, she can't keep her mouth shut :p:LOL:

Tut Tut @Deletedmessiah, you have a low opinion of the female species :p

Daviworld

Level 2
Verified
Feb 19, 2018
Sigh, Facebook just won't learn... On one hand it make since cutting out the middle men, it would hurt dating services like Tinder, Bumble, OKCupid, CoffeeMeetsBagel, etc. Since most of them pull information from your Facebook profile. On the other hand Facebook is so terrible at handling data and can't be trusted with it, since they want to mime your information for more $$$. I'll wait till the test dummies who sign up first and see what their experiences are like lol

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.