New Free Pctools v9 Released

Status
Not open for further replies.

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
New Version of pctools v9 released unfortunately I could not get Change-log if i do get one will sure post it
Thanks

http://www.pctools.com/free-antivirus/

anti-virus_main_large.png

anti-virus_results_large.png

anti-virus_scan_large.png

Viking

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 2, 2011
I used it a few years ago for a while. I liked the product, but I did not like the fact that its signatures were updated only once each day, (about 5pm).
I also noticed that, once, over a long weekend, the virus signatures were updated on a Friday night, and was not updated again until Tuesday afternoon (5pm).
They may of increased their updates by now.

I wouldn't mind to see a review on spyware doctor with antivirus!

ps: it felt very light on my old xp system with the free pc tools firewall plus.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
InternetChicken said:
Pc tools use there own engine developed in house.

PC Tools do use their own engine. But the malware signatures were from both Spyware Doctor "spyware" and VirusBuster "virus". Now I'm not completely sure if they still use VirusBuster since Symantec bought PC Tools they are probably using signatures from Symantec (Norton) now.

I believe this question has been bought up before on PC Tools forum without any answers.

For awhile the free version of their antivirus lacked spyware detection provided by Spyware Doctor's database. It only had virus detection provided by VirusBuster.

Since Symantec bought PC Tools, they don't list changelogs or even post answers to questions in their forums. The forum members are isolated about most of the things that go on now.

Thanks.:D

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
Littlebits said:
InternetChicken said:

PC Tools do use their own engine. But the malware signatures were from both Spyware Doctor "spyware" and VirusBuster "virus". Now I'm not completely sure if they still use VirusBuster since Symantec bought PC Tools they are probably using signatures from Symantec (Norton) now.

I believe this question has been bought up before on PC Tools forum without any answers.

For awhile the free version of their antivirus lacked spyware detection provided by Spyware Doctor's database. It only had virus detection provided by VirusBuster.

Since Symantec bought PC Tools, they don't list changelogs or even post answers to questions in their forums. The forum members are isolated about most of the things that go on now.

Still, they don't put the behaviour blocker in their free antivirus, despite the fact that Threatfire remains a free product and last time I checked the trial versions of their products were basically the full version minus scanning, which is something that can be done with the Free antivirus to the same extent as the paid versions of their products. In conclusion, paying for PC Tools products is a complete waste as they have put so much into what you don't have to pay for that they forgot to add anything into the paid versions.
Also, what is the point of Spyware Doctor with Antivirus being used over Spyware Doctor when you can get the antivirus engine with PC Tools Antivirus without having to spend £10 extra? They list features only available with the antivirus included only to reveal that they in fact are included with the standard Spyware Doctor on the features page.
And if they aren't? Free antivirus says hello.
The Internet Security Suite isn't much better either. It includes:
  • Antivirus + Antispyware - Free with PC Tools Antivirus
  • Behaviour Blocker - Free with Threatfire
  • Firewall - Free with PC Tools Firewall Plus (Even Symantic has noticed this, as it's not on the product listing any more.)
  • AntiSpam - Has anyone ever bought a suite simply for the Anti Spam? I always access my emails online, rather than having them taking up space and being Identity Theft bait on my computer.

Also, am I the only one who preferred the old interface of PC Tools products? It looked a lot less like a rogue. The 'Why PC Tools' tab on the interface that's there once one has already chosen PC Tools as their antivirus doesn't help.

Tobi

Jul 7, 2011
loveboy_lion said:
New Version of pctools v9 released unfortunately I could not get Change-log if i do get one will sure post it
PcTools v9 (2012) has been available for over nine months. http://malwaretips.com/Thread-PCTools-2012

As for change logs those are posted on their forum. :)

Warning! It has not changed. The free version still contains only two guards, no realtime rootkit protection, and the GUI is filled nothing but grayed-out options and upgrade ads.

You're better off using Mcafee or Immunet Free than this little freebie. :angel: Ellio is right though, those two products are free but unfortunately the products are resouce draining when all three are used. Nor have the two products been updated.

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
If its the same version than i guess moderator could join the topic
Thanks

Legdotus

Jul 1, 2012
elliotcroft said:
Littlebits said:
InternetChicken said:

Still, they don't put the behaviour blocker in their free antivirus, despite the fact that Threatfire remains a free product and last time I checked the trial versions of their products were basically the full version minus scanning, which is something that can be done with the Free antivirus to the same extent as the paid versions of their products. In conclusion, paying for PC Tools products is a complete waste as they have put so much into what you don't have to pay for that they forgot to add anything into the paid versions.
Also, what is the point of Spyware Doctor with Antivirus being used over Spyware Doctor when you can get the antivirus engine with PC Tools Antivirus without having to spend £10 extra? They list features only available with the antivirus included only to reveal that they in fact are included with the standard Spyware Doctor on the features page.
And if they aren't? Free antivirus says hello.
The Internet Security Suite isn't much better either. It includes:
  • Antivirus + Antispyware - Free with PC Tools Antivirus
  • Behaviour Blocker - Free with Threatfire
  • Firewall - Free with PC Tools Firewall Plus (Even Symantic has noticed this, as it's not on the product listing any more.)
  • AntiSpam - Has anyone ever bought a suite simply for the Anti Spam? I always access my emails online, rather than having them taking up space and being Identity Theft bait on my computer.

Also, am I the only one who preferred the old interface of PC Tools products? It looked a lot less like a rogue. The 'Why PC Tools' tab on the interface that's there once one has already chosen PC Tools as their antivirus doesn't help.

Yeah, I liked the old interface much more than this one. Anyway, Spyware Doctor has saved my @$$ many times in the past, it was the best anti-spyware for me, and should still be along with SuperAntiSpyware.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
I guarantee you that Threatfire Level 5, all by itself, would slaughter PC Tools AV and anything else included in a PC Tools Suite, and without all those pesky signature downloads that a traditional AV requires to function correctly. The rest that is offered in a PC Tools suite is not worth the fluff and bloat that it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.