Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Microsoft has released a new batch of Intel microcode updates for Windows 10 2004, 1909, 1903, and older versions to fix hardware bugs in Intel CPUs.

Yesterday, Microsoft released eight optional updates for the current and previously released versions of Windows 10.

With yesterday's release, Intel patched bugs in 56 different CPUs from the following families:
  • Amber Lake
  • Avoton
  • Broadwell
  • Cascade Lake
  • Cascade Lake
  • Coffee Lake
  • Comet Lake
  • Haswell
  • Kaby Lake
  • Skylake
  • Valley View
  • Whiskey Lake

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
How does one find out which one they're using?
You don't need to, just search your processor model in the MS support page.
Edit: Or if you really want to know the Code Name (or Architecture family) you can go to Intel Ark Website and search for your processor model. Screenshot 2020-09-03 051439.JPGScreenshot 2020-09-03 051547.JPG

Google works fine too, just put your processor model and first result will come from intel ark.
Screenshot 2020-09-03 052204.JPG

Last edited:

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

ItsReallyMe

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Dec 21, 2017
update is available based on the windows version right? not based on the coffee lake architecture or whatever?

tsunami

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2018
Here is the problem, How would regular joes know this? Does Microsoft/Computer Manufacturer notify users in Windows for updates that needs to be installed MANUALLY especially for security fixes?

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
The downloads are based on Windows10 version installed (e.g. 2004) and 32 or 64 bits.

I downloaded and installed updates on my (ten year old) desktop (i7 950) and my girlfriend's (three year old) laptop (Pentium 4415U)

Desktop i7 is from Bloomfield generation, laptop 4415U is Kaby lake generation.so it skips update when not relevant for CPU model (my desktop)

@silversurfer thanks for sharing

Last edited:

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Here is the problem, How would regular joes know this? Does Microsoft/Computer Manufacturer notify users in Windows for updates that needs to be installed MANUALLY especially for security fixes?
Users who are not actively collecting information will probably have no way of knowing. I think it would also be useful to distribute such updates via the Microsoft Store.

Reactions: roger_m

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.