Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Chinese computer manufacturer Lenovo has issued a security advisory to warn of several high-severity BIOS vulnerabilities impacting hundreds of devices in the various models (Desktop, All in One, IdeaCentre, Legion, ThinkCentre, ThinkPad, ThinkAgile, ThinkStation, ThinkSystem).

Exploiting the flaws may lead to information disclosure, privilege escalation, denial of service, and, under certain circumstances, arbitrary code execution.

The vulnerabilities in Lenovo's security advisory are the following:
  • CVE-2021-28216: Fixed pointer flaw in TianoCore EDK II BIOS (reference implementation of UEFI), allowing an attacker to elevate privileges and execute arbitrary code.
  • CVE-2022-40134: Information leak flaw in the SMI Set Bios Password SMI Handler, allowing an attacker to read SMM memory.
  • CVE-2022-40135: Information leak vulnerability in the Smart USB Protection SMI Handler, allowing an attacker to read SMM memory.
  • CVE-2022-40136: Information leak flaw in SMI Handler used for configuring platform settings over WMI, enabling an attacker to read SMM memory.
  • CVE-2022-40137: Buffer overflow in the WMI SMI Handler, enabling an attacker to execute arbitrary code.
  • American Megatrends security enhancements (no CVEs).
SMM (Ring -2) is part of the UEFI firmware that provides system-wide functions like low-level hardware control and power management.

Access to SMM could be extended to the operating system and RAM, and storage resources; that’s why both AMD and Intel have developed SMM isolation mechanisms to keep user data safe from low-level threats.

Mystic

Level 4
Verified
Aug 25, 2022
For me, if my device is functioning as intended, I won't update BIOS. First, it might cause new problems. Second, on one of my Acer laptops, when I updated the BIOS, I could not boot any Linux distribution unless I add it to the list of trusted list of Secure Boot entry (though Secure Boot is disabled for I only run Linux on that laptop). Before the BIOS update, that did not happen.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.