Status
Not open for further replies.

Myriad

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
OK .... not all of these are new , but they have arrived recently compared to the grand-daddy of
Linux pen-testing distros - Kali ( formerly Backtrack ).

I am studying to improve my knowledge of networks and security , and I find these useful .

Parrot Security .... " Cloud oriented " , based on Debian
similar to Kali with a good selection of tools

Cyborg Hawk ..... fairly recent Ubuntu based newcomer from a team in India
claims to be " The World’s Most Advanced Penetration Testing Distro "

BlackArch .... see below

They have one thing in common , in that they all incorporate a huge collection of ready-to-use
tools for all manner of penetration testing scenarios.

BlackArch is currently my favorite and as it's name suggests , it is based on Arch Linux.

Has anyone else here tried them ?

I'd be interested to hear any experiences , preferences and opinions :)

Last edited:
L

LabZero

First of all it is appropriate to say that the pentesting, how we consider it, is required by many big companies that require the advice of experts to perform controlled penetration testing for check the stability and security of their platforms.

The Penetration Testing therefore the aim of identifying computer vulnerabilities, noting many details on the flaws that allow unauthorized access.

For study reasons I have used:

BackBox | A Free Open Source Community Project

You can also used BB in Live mode to test without the need of storing any data on the disk, so when you exit, all the changes and the data stored during the session are lost.

These are some of the currently available tools:

- Denial of Service
- Network Mapping
- Privilege Escalation
- Sniffing
- Spoofing
- Vulnerability Assessment
- Exploitation
- CMS Scanners
- Wireless Analysis
- And others....

The tools are easily installable via Synaptic and from the command line.

In my opinion, BB offers excellent support for advanced pentesting.

Myriad

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
First of all it is appropriate to say that the pentesting, how we consider it, is required by many big companies that require the advice of experts to perform controlled penetration testing for check the stability and security of their platforms.

The Penetration Testing therefore the aim of identifying computer vulnerabilities, noting many details on the flaws that allow unauthorized access.

For study reasons I have used:

BackBox | A Free Open Source Community Project

You can also used BB in Live mode to test without the need of storing any data on the disk, so when you exit, all the changes and the data stored during the session are lost.

These are some of the currently available tools:

- Denial of Service
- Network Mapping
- Privilege Escalation
- Sniffing
- Spoofing
- Vulnerability Assessment
- Exploitation
- CMS Scanners
- Wireless Analysis
- And others....

The tools are easily installable via Synaptic and from the command line.

In my opinion, BB offers excellent support for advanced pentesting.

@Klipsh Thanks for that !

Interesting ....

I've just had a look at the BackBox website and I can't work out if the download includes a full pack of tools.
I'm guessing not , partly because you mention installing tools with Synaptic and also because the download is only
2.5 GB compared with 4.5 GB for BlackArch ( which comes " fully -loaded " with all tools ).

L

LabZero

@Klipsh Thanks for that !

Interesting ....

I've just had a look at the BackBox website and I can't work out if the download includes a full pack of tools.
I'm guessing not , partly because you mention installing tools with Synaptic and also because the download is only
2.5 GB compared with 4.5 GB for BlackArch ( which comes " fully -loaded " with all tools ).
Just checking...
If you click on "Tools/Services" menu, it is possible to display the item “Hacking”, and the tools within it, are organized by category, you can select the menu to get a list of all the programs already installed.

Complete list of the tools present in the repository of BackBox:

BackBox Linux v1 (deprecated) : “BackBox Linux” team

PS : LINK edited

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.