New Mac Defender Variant Doesn't Require Admin Password

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
A new variant of the Mac Defender scareware that has plagued Mac OS X users since the beginning of the month no longer asks users for their admin password during installation.

Mac Defender is probably the first widespread Mac malware attack and it caught a lot of users off guard, exactly like antivirus experts predicted for years.

Apple's strategy of advertising Macs as virus free definitely paid off for the company in terms of sales, but created a false sense of security for users.

The only thing that kept malware writers away from the Mac plantform all these years was a low return on investment.

Learning how to code for Mac and maintaining a separate version of their malicious programs for an operating system that didn't have that many users simply wasn't worth it.

However, security experts warned that this will change and it appears it has already started, Mac Defender being a good example of how unprepared Mac users are when it comes to malware attacks.

Mac Defender are distributed through search result poisoning campaigns that have been around for years and are pretty much a common occurrence.

Link

V

Vextor

Gulp. Mac users need anti-virus software like Sophos for Mac (FREE!)

G

Guest28

I like how word is spreading, that MAC users need to be protected under any circumstances. The threat, land scape of MACS is changing as we know it. Each year is expected to get worse and MAC Defender is just a little taste from what's to come in the upcoming years. If you know anyone with a MAC please tell them to secure it. Sophos gives a great free av for MAC and as far as i can tell it's the best to date. http://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/free-tools/sophos-antivirus-for-mac-home-edition.aspx

During some of my testing i'v seen an increase of MAC malware on malwaredomainlists.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.