New malware infects routers instead of PCs

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Since malware were barely to hack strong password, you must have confident that your safe on that case.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
they dont give the details but surely Windows

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Mostly viruses produced in Windows so expected it would work fully.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
That's much more simpler to remove, assuming you know your router is infected.

Hungry Man

Jul 21, 2011
Routers can be infected easily.

1) (easy) Router caches can be poisoned
2) (hard) Firmware can be flashed
3) (hard) Firmware can be hacked

For 1 your host or network has to be compromised.
For 2 your host or network has to be compromised and the hacker must have your model-specific firmware.
For 3 you don't have to be compromised but they need to know vulnerabilities specific to your model.

This is a lot like BIOS viruses. You can run some generic ones and they'll work on a lot of boards but they'll never work on every board - same goes for routers.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Sure glad I changed my modem password when I first got it. I re-call it being roughly 128 characters long and containing upper/lowercase, numbers and symbols in it.

Good luck falcon punching that Chuck!

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
MrXidus said:
Sure glad I changed my modem password when I first got it. I re-call it being roughly 128 characters long and containing upper/lowercase, numbers and symbols in it.

Good luck falcon punching that Chuck!

Whoa mine ain't that long, but long and secure enough to remember.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
What would be symptoms of an infected router? I assume slow internet would be one. How will we know for sure if our router is infected?

DiabloBlack

Nov 5, 2011
The password strength on your router should apply to both network access as well as the admin password. Personally I do not allow for remote admin of my router. Both network and local admin passwords are insane. I have also recently updated the firmware on my router. Something Secunia PSI and FileHippo will never tell you is when there is an update to your routers firmware. We all need to be aware and check with your respective venders on a regular basis.

I'm not to impressed with the Microsoft password strength checker. Type in 39 1's and it will give you a score of "Best", really? A bunch of 1's and you think that is a good password? I think the algorithm used to test the so called strength of your password needs to be reevaluated.

Dejan

Mar 3, 2011
I think it rates the password's strength based on how many characters it has.
I'd just use some phone number you can remember or something, besides, I don't think anyone or anything would really guess 39 ones, afaik.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.