New notebook

R

rocky

Thread author
We bought a new notebook for my wife's use. It has win.7 x64 on it which I have no experience , our desktop is win. 7 x32 with DefensWall. If I could get some advice on how to secure this I would really appreciate the help. In the meantime I not even going to open it. Thanks

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
You have experience of using software compatible with Windows 32-bit, look for ones that are 64-bit compatible. Shadow Defender? Sandboxie? Bufferzone Pro?

Edit: Toolwiz Time Freeze works on 64-bit too.

Else,
Standard UA + UAC + "Antivirus" + Windows Firewall
Admin UA + UAC + "Antivirus" + Windows Firewall

I would prefer using something like Chrome, since everything is packed in one, unlike Firefox (separate Flash Player + extra service for updates) - but it's up to you.

Remember to create a System Image and Recovery Disc, to DVD or USB. And update IE to v9 (or 10), even if you don't use them.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Hello :)

Since its a pretty new notebook then we must know your preferences if you prefer free or paid.

Also knowledge there must be capable the way its protecting in a system.

Second opinion of scanners is generally helpful when an AV missed on detection.

Malwarebytes and Hitman Pro are capable enough others are more from emergency kit situation.

R

rocky

Thread author
I should have given you more information. It is amd dual core with just 4 gigs of memory to start with. She will use it on the internet, banking and home book keeping. One thing she is concerned about is disabling the webcam she doesn't want it.The main difference between this and our desktop will mainly be one user. Free or paid is fine, protection is more important. Thanks again!

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Hmm... seems adding those sensitive information must put in a safe password manager like Lastpass or Keepass is capable enough. :)

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
ok, so she will be the main user doing mostly banking.

1- the cheap but secure way

Microsoft Security Essential + Windows Firewall + UAC enabled : free, light, non-intrusive, harassment free.

+

Sandboxie free (review here: http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Review-Sandboxie): browse in an isolated environment.

+

Zemana Antilogger Free: encrypt the keystrokes so if data are leaked the attacker can't read them.

2- the paid way

Kaspersky IS : has lot of banking feature but a bit heavy on some system.

Avast IS (review here: http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Review-Avast-Internet-Security-v7): has Safezone ( an isolated banking environment with secured browser) ; lighter than KIS.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I'm using Zemana AntiLogger Free, the icon changes from green to dim to indicate whether the active application is protected, also no conflict with it alongside Avast - although I installed avast after Zemana.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
My thing would be depending on if your a novice user or your an advanced user. I would use MSE and the Windows Firewall, only from what I see in your config.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.