New Rowhammer Attack Bypass Previously Proposed Countermeasures

Solarquest

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
Security researchers have come up with a variation of the Rowhammer attack that bypasses all previously proposed countermeasures.

The term Rowhammer is used to describe a security exploit that takes advantage of the fact that hardware vendors, in the chase for bigger memories and smaller-sized components, are cramming too many memory cells together on the same boards.

Researchers discovered that an attacker could bombard RAM memory cell rows with constant read-write operations causing the memory cells to change their electrical charge, which inherently modifies the stored data bits from 1 to 0 and vice-versa, altering the information stored in a computer's memory.

Attackers can use this attack to deliver malicious code that alters normal OS behavior to escalate the attacker's privileges, root devices, or cause denial-of-service states to crucial services, such as security software.

Rowhammer attacks can cause a lot of damage
Details about Rowhammer attack came to light in 2014, and newer research on the topic has been published on a steadily basis ever since. Researchers discovered that:
⊷ Rowhammer attacks work against DDR3and DDR4 memory cards
⊷ they can use carry out Rowhammer attacks via mundane JavaScript and not necessarily via specialized malware
⊷ they could take over Windows machines by attacking Edge with a Rowhammer attack
⊷ they could use Rowhammer to take over Linux-based virtual machines installed in cloud hosting providers
⊷ they could use a Rowhammer attack to root Android devices

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
This is very serious.
This thing can do a lot of damage.
I read the whole article and even with HMPA installed it had me thinking if i am well protected.
Even SSD's are in trouble.
I would like to see a test if HMPA and other security software can stop it.

I read the whole article and even with HMPA installed it had me thinking if i am well protected.

Ask one of the Loman brothers. HMP.A does not protect against side-channel attacks themselves. It possibly can thwart an attack prior to the side-channel attack itself - dependent upon how the initial attack proceeds. So, like always, there are protection "ifs".

Side-channel protection solutions need to come from Intel, AMD and other hardware device OEMs - and not by installing a security soft. Research it.

It is just a proof-of-concept attack by researchers. At this point it is nothing to fret over - not one bit.

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.