New ubuntu 14.04 install running very slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rozesky2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 12, 2014
I have installed ubuntu 14.04 on a computer running a pentium 4 with 2 gigs of ram so I did install 32 bit ubuntu
I dont know how to get it running faster I think it is the video driver
nvidia geforce 5200 on board graphic card

Last edited:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I

illumination

Click system settings, and then click software and updates, choose the additional drivers tab to check and see what driver you are using and or alternatively you can open the terminal and paste this command: lshw -c

You can check all updates and upgrades for the system with one command in the terminal as well:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Copy that whole sentence above this one and paste it in the terminal, click enter, provide your password and click enter again, it will do the rest, unless there are items needing installed where it may ask you yes or no to install "Y or N" in which case you will either hit the Y key or the N key and enter to continue.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Rozesky2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 12, 2014
To everyone helping me
Well I did all the tips suggested to fix ubuntu 14.04 . I did all 10 steps after installing it. Then I went to additional
drivess and I saw the driver I had researched online for the nvidia geforce 5200 so I installed it. I was so hopeful this
would fix the slowness...but unfortunately now I just have a black screen. So how to I revert back to the other driver
also, since I tried all these fixes I guess now it the time to try installing mint 17?

Rozesky2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 12, 2014
Click system settings, and then click software and updates, choose the additional drivers tab to check and see what driver you are using and or alternatively you can open the terminal and paste this command: lshw -c

You can check all updates and upgrades for the system with one command in the terminal as well:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Copy that whole sentence above this one and paste it in the terminal, click enter, provide your password and click enter again, it will do the rest, unless there are items needing installed where it may ask you yes or no to install "Y or N" in which case you will either hit the Y key or the N key and enter to continue.
illumination ..I did that but it didnt change the slowness so I did additional drivers and changed to the nvidia one
not all I see is a blakc screen
how to I get out of this or do I have to reinstall

I

illumination

To everyone helping me
Well I did all the tips suggested to fix ubuntu 14.04 . I did all 10 steps after installing it. Then I went to additional
drivess and I saw the driver I had researched online for the nvidia geforce 5200 so I installed it. I was so hopeful this
would fix the slowness...but unfortunately now I just have a black screen. So how to I revert back to the other driver
also, since I tried all these fixes I guess now it the time to try installing mint 17?
If you received a black screen, then ubuntu is not fully compatible with that graphics card/driver, hence the reason it was using the generic linux version.

Using Mint 17 and trying to install that same driver will achieve the same effect as Mint 17 is based on ubuntu.

I

illumination

illumination ..I did that but it didnt change the slowness so I did additional drivers and changed to the nvidia one
not all I see is a blakc screen
how to I get out of this or do I have to reinstall
You will have to reinstall from the Live CD/USB

M

MalwareT

Best thing to do is install Mint 17 XFCE , i don't like Ubuntu so much :)

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I do not understand why people say they do not like ubuntu, but love mint.. Mint is ubuntu customized..
It's human nature. Like food, if we have a choice to get something that promises to be cool & lighter (like at Starbucks) we're going to want to try the 'customized' Peppermint Mocha with whipped cream rather than the plain old ubuntu coffee!:D
*as I take a sip of plain old coffee whilst wondering why my connection feels so slow... The blame falls upon AT&T, & not ubuntu!:p
If you received a black screen, then ubuntu is not fully compatible with that graphics card/driver, hence the reason it was using the generic linux version.

Using Mint 17 and trying to install that same driver will achieve the same effect as Mint 17 is based on ubuntu.

Rozesky2, back on topic, if the reason for the black screen of frustration is compatibility problem, a different distribution may produce more success.
On the other hand, presently I'm on lubuntu (an extremely light version of ubuntu) with Nvidia graphics on our old hardware, so it's possible this incompatibility could be the newer driver you spoke of earlier, plus something to draw upon should you run into further obstacles. We hope you shan't.:)
Good luck! We're with you.:):)

Reactions: MalwareT

Rozesky2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 12, 2014
Well I tried using Zoren, ubuntu, and mint 17 all as suggested ( I am the one who decided to try zoren) none of them would even in stall because of the graphic card problem. So I decided to install windows 7 32 bit. Which is now install and running fine. SO that problem is solved although not exactly how I wanted it .. ON a different HD drive.

I have a secondary problem now because of the install of ubuntu...the hd which was new will not let me install anything else on it even though I reformatted it . Not sure what to do about that since it was reformatted?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Try to disable the visual effects and see if there's an improvement on the performance

Code:
Open a terminal window. 2. Type in the following command then hit Enter. sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager 3. This will install the Compizconfig Settings Manager. 4. Start Compiz and go the Effects menu. 5. Turn off all these effects to speed up Ubuntu 14.04: Animations Fading Windows Window Decoration Blur Windows Water Effect Wobbly Windows

Originally based on http://www.itworld.com/article/2719...sual-effects-to-make-ubuntu-12-10-faster.html

I

illumination

Well I tried using Zoren, ubuntu, and mint 17 all as suggested ( I am the one who decided to try zoren) none of them would even in stall because of the graphic card problem. So I decided to install windows 7 32 bit. Which is now install and running fine. SO that problem is solved although not exactly how I wanted it .. ON a different HD drive.

I have a secondary problem now because of the install of ubuntu...the hd which was new will not let me install anything else on it even though I reformatted it . Not sure what to do about that since it was reformatted?
What did you use to reformat it with, and did you change the file format type from ext4 to ntfs?

You can use the live USB of Ubuntu to boot live, open Gparted, delete any partitions, then make a new partition combining them into one and then change the file type to NTFS, once this is done, shutdown the live ubuntu/system, pull the live usb/dvd out, and then boot your windows.

Rozesky2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 12, 2014
What did you use to reformat it with, and did you change the file format type from ext4 to ntfs?

You can use the live USB of Ubuntu to boot live, open Gparted, delete any partitions, then make a new partition combining them into one and then change the file type to NTFS, once this is done, shutdown the live ubuntu/system, pull the live usb/dvd out, and then boot your windows.
I used windows 7 to reformat the ntfs but with I tried to install windows 7 on that hard drive I got some error I cant remember exactly what it was . I had to get the computer working so I used a different hd drive to put win 7 on so the computer is up and working BUT I would like to get that hard drive working again...I know it is just something with the formatting...I hope my answer helps..So I try the using a live usb of ubunto like you said still?

I

illumination

I used windows 7 to reformat the ntfs but with I tried to install windows 7 on that hard drive I got some error I cant remember exactly what it was . I had to get the computer working so I used a different hd drive to put win 7 on so the computer is up and working BUT I would like to get that hard drive working again...I know it is just something with the formatting...I hope my answer helps..So I try the using a live usb of ubunto like you said still?
It depends on what the error is. Can you reproduce the error and write it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.