New US Bill would require makers of encrypted devices to leave a backdoor

Tutman

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020

Or the actual bill, it goes to great lengths to ensure the rights, privacy and freedoms of the general public are not infringed...

The rights and privacy and freedoms of the general public has never stopped the NSA, "Echelon" anyone?

Reactions: Stopspying and danb

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
After a couple of trips to Canada well Ontario actually as the place is beyond ginormous - I have rarely found such pleasant & helpful people, after I've thanked them for some unneeded courtesy the reply often is ''We're Canadians' A place I could certainty live in ' - New Zealand also :):)
Yeah, I also was thinking New Zealand or Australia would be great too. I know someone from New Zealand, she is a sweetie.

Reactions: Stopspying

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
The rights and privacy and freedoms of the general public has never stopped the NSA, "Echelon" anyone?
Great point! Let's at least make them spend the $30k+ to get the data ;).

Joking aside, you know I was thinking... OnStar (by GM) can unlock your car remotely, and surely that is encrypted and secure. Tim Apple... I mean Cook, can ask Mary Barra how they did it, then maybe the government does not need to be involved in the tech. But Apple saying that they are unable to create the tech to unlock the phone on demand because then the devices would be compromised is ridiculous... they are already compromised. It is almost as ridiculous as people posting constantly to social media, not protecting their devices adequately, and then complaining about no one respecting their privacy.

Reactions: Stopspying

Tutman

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
Yeah, I also was thinking New Zealand or Australia would be great too. I know someone from New Zealand, she is a sweetie.
New Zealand has it where if you are not a native you can not buy a house there. :(

New Zealand’s government, led by Jacinda Ardern, in 2018 banned foreigners from buying existing homes in the country – with exemptions for Australians and Singaporeans only, due to free trade agreements – in an attempt to tackle a housing affordability crisis.

Reactions: Stopspying and danb

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
New Zealand has it where if you are not a native you can not buy a house there. :(

New Zealand’s government, led by Jacinda Ardern, in 2018 banned foreigners from buying existing homes in the country – with exemptions for Australians and Singaporeans only, due to free trade agreements – in an attempt to tackle a housing affordability crisis.
Very interesting, great to know. Hopefully they did not ban foreigners from buying an RV and running a hot dog stand on the beach ;).

brigantes

Level 1
Jun 22, 2020
When a law enforcement agency obtains a warrant in either the UK or the US and submits it to an organization for them to do data searches and similar forensics, that organization is fully entitled under the law of both nations to charge a fee for all work and expenses incurred in complying with the search warrant. Such fees are routinely charged daily according to a set schedule. Some are capped as a courtesy to local police departments or the Constabulary. A policeman cannot just show up, present a search warrant that is going to cost an organization hundreds of thousands of dollars to investigate a third party (device owner or services client) on behalf of the police and expect the company to bear the full costs. That's not how it works. That's not how it ever worked. Search warrant incurred expenses also include officer wages, court filing fees, as well as the costs of the associated legal proceedings and challenges.

Google does not assist UK or US law enforcement for free. And neither does Apple nor any of the mobile carriers. Banks in both the UK and US routinely submit bills to the governments for incurred compliance costs. An organization can even file a civil suit against a law enforcement agency or administrative body if either refuse to pay the submitted bill.

A search warrant is just a legal instrument. Companies routinely ignore search warrants. Here in the UK and US, people waiving a court order cannot compel others to do anything. A judge can hold a company in contempt for non-compliance but it is unusual for the judge to go beyond that. That is the whole central point of this new bill. It is being done such that companies cannot refuse. Apple refused to assist the FBI in the past when the FBI presented it with multiple search warrants. Under the new law Apple would have to agree to compliance before a search warrant was ever issued. Microsoft has been held in contempt many times for refusing to comply with search warrants.

US intelligence agencies do not pursue damage cases involving $5000. That is the realm of local authorities and the local small claims court system. The only exception would be cases involving federal law, such as bank robbery. Same here in the UK.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.