New Windows 10 Cumulative Updates Launching Today

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Put this in the Captain Obvious section, but it’s Patch Tuesday time again and in addition to security updates released to fix vulnerabilities in Microsoft’s products, the Redmond-based software giant is also expected to publish new cumulative updates for Windows 10.

As it does every month, the company is very likely to release such cumulative updates for both the 10240 version launched in July 2015 and for the 10586 build also known as November Update. The latter, according to a report by WinBeta, is expected to be version 10586.318, with a patch pushing the same version number also expected to land on mobile too.

This piece of news might not come as a big surprise for Microsoft enthusiasts who have been keeping an eye on Windows 10 updates, mostly because new cumulative updates land every Patch Tuesday, but it’s still worth knowing that a new release is just around the corner for one big reason: CU have until now created all sorts of problems on Windows 10 computers, so make sure you make a backup before installing.

Back up before anything else
The previous cumulative updates released by Microsoft for Windows 10 either failed to install or led to various problems after that, including infinite reboot loops, BSODs, and errors experienced in the OS.

Starting with the latest cumulative update, however, Microsoft is trying to get in touch with impacted customers in order to provide workarounds and develop fixes, so hopefully the same strategy will be used this time too.

And since it’s Patch Tuesday, Microsoft is also expected to release several security updates for all Windows versions that are still supported (Vista, 7, 8.1, and 10), so no matter what version you are currently using, get ready for a big pack of fixes.

IT admins should also have in mind that some of today’s patches might require a computer reboot, so saving work on PCs in their network is a thing they must do before anything else. We’ll keep an eye out for reports and we’ll let you know should any botched updates are spotted.

H

hjlbx

What will today's CU break next ?

Most of the major problems I have seen with security softs are due to OS update induced breakages than the security soft itself...

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Whats new in KB3156421 & KB3156387

• Improved reliability in a number of areas including Cortana, Bluetooth, Shell, Internet Explorer 11, Microsoft Edge, Miracast, and USB.
  • Fixed memory leak that occurs when opening a portable document format (PDF) form multiple times.
  • Fixed issues with text alignment for right to left languages in Internet Explorer 11 and Microsoft Edge.
  • Fixed issue that affected Bluetooth function when a PC resumes from sleep.
  • Fixed issue where user accounts weren't locked out after a number of failed sign in attempts.
  • Fixed issue with revised daylight saving time.
  • Fixed issue that sometimes corrupts CompactFlash cards inserted into a card reader.
  • Fixed issue that caused recorded video to be lost when answering an incoming call on some phones.
  • Fixed issue that could result in unexpected battery drain while the phone screen is off.
  • Fixed additional security issues with kernel mode drivers, remote procedure calls, the Microsoft Graphics Component, Internet Explorer 11, Microsoft Edge, Windows Shell, Windows Journal, Virtual Secure Mode, Schannel, and Jscript.
  • Fixed memory leak that occurs when opening a portable document format (PDF) form multiple times.
  • Fixed issues with text alignment for right to left languages in Internet Explorer 11 and Microsoft Edge.
  • Fixed issue that caused sign in to temporarily fail after a password change.
  • Fixed issue that sometimes corrupts CompactFlash cards inserted into a card reader.
  • Fixed issue with losing network connectivity intermittently when roaming between Wi‑Fi access points.
  • Improved security in the Windows kernel.
  • Fixed issue with revised daylight saving time.
  • Fixed additional issues with Internet Explorer 11.
  • Updated security for kernel mode drivers.
  • Fixed additional security issues with the Microsoft Graphics Component, remote procedure calls, Internet Explorer 11, Microsoft Edge, Windows Journal, JScript, Schannel, Windows Shell, and Virtual Secure Mode.

marg

Level 12
Verified
May 26, 2014
In Win 10 Microsoft will shovel the update down your throat unless there is a way to disable updates as in Win7..! Anyone know how to do this???

Reactions: Der.Reisende

Captain Awesome

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 7, 2016
unless there is a way to disable updates as in Win7..! Anyone know how to do this???
Use with caution:Windows updates are necessary do not disabled it until extreme need.It will exposed your pc to greater risk.

Go to Conrol Panel>System and Security>Administrative Tools>Services>Windows Update>Right click on Windows Update>Properties>Windows update properties(Local Computer) dialog box open>In General tab>Statup type>Disabled>Press Ok.

Last edited:

soccer97

Level 11
Verified
May 22, 2014
This is true, but many of them are either rated critical or being currently exploited. SANS IS is a good source each month. Qualys also does a very short video analysis of the patches and their priorities along with the impact they may have on systems and productivity during the workday.

Just found an awesome source that breaks them down for both Adobe and Microsoft. Usually published the day after patch Tuesday. (Microsoft Security Bulletin: May 10 | Qualys, Inc.)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
In Win 10 Microsoft will shovel the update down your throat unless there is a way to disable updates as in Win7..! Anyone know how to do this???
Disable it's Windows service, just like in Windows 7.

Type "services.msc" in the Run window (WinKey+R).

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
after this update, I noticed a significant drop in my laptop speed. after a full reboot, I took me 2 minutes to be able to open task manager or open an app which usually requires 10 seconds in the previous version. It's normal when I boot up the system from fast startup but reboot is a real pain. I tried to reboot a few times but the results were the same. Hope they would fix this soon

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Updating was the worst of it afterwards my computer went back to normal even seemed faster for me. :)

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
The only problem I've had with cumulative updates from the first one until now is that every time I run one the SQL server on my notebook stops auto loading on boot, forcing me to activate the services manually. Strange enough if manually activate the services and reboot the services resume loading on boot automatically.

Now I just force a full maintenance run after every cumulative update and this seem to have solved everything.

soccer97

Level 11
Verified
May 22, 2014
after this update, I noticed a significant drop in my laptop speed. after a full reboot, I took me 2 minutes to be able to open task manager or open an app which usually requires 10 seconds in the previous version. It's normal when I boot up the system from fast startup but reboot is a real pain. I tried to reboot a few times but the results were the same. Hope they would fix this soon

This is an issue others are experiencing. Someone from Microsoft posted here on Reddit trying to get diagnostic info so a fix can be made. Postulated to be due to Cortana. Link: KB3156421 - Computer is slow after installing latest Cumulative Update • /r/Windows10

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.