New Windows Defender Transparency Report - August 2019

Bikeman0I17

Level 1
Verified
Sep 22, 2017
I wish they'd update the UI to add the advanced options to the UI itself, or even an Advanced Settings button to adjust settings right there in the UI, Improve full scan speed, as well as removal of threat speed if possible. Its got plenty of room for UI improvements.

While i used Avast Free steady from 2006 up til June 2019, trying to keep using Defender these days unless an article comes out on security hole, then i may switch back to Avast Immediately possibly. Just hopefully i'm protected enough with Defender is my other worry, find myself running Scans with Malwarebytes Every week right now.

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I wish their UI improved with their detection rates. It would be such a good AV to use if the interface was usable.
I wish they'd update the UI to add the advanced options to the UI itself, or even an Advanced Settings button to adjust settings right there in the UI, Improve full scan speed, as well as removal of threat speed if possible. Its got plenty of room for UI improvements.

I suppose that goes without saying. We all know how slow M$ is to change, and don't know what reasons are behind decisions they make.

Just hopefully i'm protected enough with Defender is my other worry, find myself running Scans with Malwarebytes Every week right now.

Use Configure_Defender if you're not already, and apply some OS hardening. Malware doesn't magically appear out of nowhere. Safe browsing habits go a very long way in avoiding infection.

And remember: Stay safe, not paranoid! (y) :D

Bikeman0I17

Level 1
Verified
Sep 22, 2017
Yeah i already using Configure_Defender, already run as Standard user for daily activities, Admin account only used for maintenance off and on. Browse as safe as i can, download much less than i did years ago. Think hopefully pretty safe, same tactics done on all systems, Gaming Desktop, Laptop, and 3rd Desktop (that isn't used much)

Trying to be less Paranoid, stopped running Malwarebytes scans daily thus far, so that is one less paranoid task for me lol, slowly getting more and more less Paranoid

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018

While current antivirus tests don’t necessarily reflect how attacks operate and how solutions are deployed in the real world, they can influence important business decisions. We are actively working with several leading industry testers to evolve security testing.

Interesting quote from the report.

Some of the testing goes to great lengths to introduce malware to systems just as it would in the wild.

Maybe they are referring to synthetic testing.

It will be interesting to see if Microsoft does apply its expertise and resources to make testing more advanced.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.