Advice Request Newest security & antivirus companies?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

alakazam

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Mar 25, 2014
Which is the newest (most recently launched) antivirus company that you know of? I'm interested in trying new PC security software (antiviruses, security suites, anti-malware, anti-spyware etc.), so please let me know what are some very new antivirus vendors that you've heard about. Thank you. :giggle:

Reactions: Dave Russo

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
There are some newer anti-malware apps that I have tried, but I never mention them, as they are terrible and have major issues with false positives.

Some examples are Malware Crusher and Free Malware Removal Tool. Free Malware Removal Tool is a free version of Malware Crusher, with slightly lower detection rates. They both are very good at detecting PUPs, but have major issues with deliberate false positives. For example, they detect Total Uninstall as malware and they used to detect Steam client as malware. It's worth noting that they are published by tech support scammers PCVARK.

There's some discussion about PCVARK in this YouTube video.

I also come across new antiviruses from time to time. Almost always they are using Avira's scan engine and are just really bad products, which lack important features like proactive protection.

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
There are some newer anti-malware apps that I have tried, but I never mention them, as they are terrible and have major issues with false positives.

Some examples are Malware Crusher and Free Malware Removal Tool. Free Malware Removal Tool is a free version of Malware Crusher, with slightly lower detection rates. They both are very good at detecting PUPs, but have major issues with deliberate false positives. For example, they detect Total Uninstall as malware and they used to detect Steam client as malware. It's worth noting that they are published by tech support scammers PCVARK.

There's some discussion about PCVARK in this YouTube video.

I also come across new antiviruses from time to time. Almost always they are using Avira's scan engine and are just really bad products, which lack important features like proactive protection.

Jeez this is really bad for scareware and other aspects as well.

~LDogg

L

Local Host

They rarely are malicious, but definitely not woth using. There's no need for them to be malicious, as the publishers generate income from selling them.
Some of them are malicious in the scareware category, is what I meant.

Not talking about the legit new AVs that run poorly, regardless stick to known brands.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Some of them are malicious in the scareware category, is what I meant.

Not talking about the legit new AVs that run poorly, regardless stick to known brands.

When I first time heard SecureAPlus, I thought it was another fake av, but now it doesn't.

Reactions: Behold Eck

alakazam

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Mar 25, 2014
I appreciate your concerns, but I need more recommendations of new antivirus programs / companies. (y)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Most are fake and malicious, you should stick to known brands.
+1.
It was also recently published that most Antivirus apps for Android were fake or dangerous.
I appreciate your concerns, but I need more recommendations of new antivirus programs / companies. (y)
If we knew of any, we'd post about it. But otherwise Google is your friend.

Most new consumer products are probably to be using Avira or Bitdefender engines. Not much fun.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Because they license their engines to be used in other products. Most other security vendors don't let others use their scan engines.

There are some newer antiviruses which have their own scan engines and they almost always have terrible detections rates, because the developers don't have the resources to be able to create a decent scan engine with good detection rates.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Try this:

It uses Avira engine. No surprise.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.