Newly installed system, what to install?

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
  1. Update your OS
  2. Install and update AV
  3. Install Media players, additional Web Browsers , Office utilities, PDF reader
  4. CCleaner / Wise Cleaner
  5. Your desired games
  6. Finally only install softwares which u use, dont install unnecessary applications
  7. Use a Virtual Machine if u want to test softwares so the harm to the main OS will be minimized.

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
I would recommend Avast as it has good protection and is light. You could use MS's Edge Browser. (I use it and like it.) Or switch to Google Chrome. CCleaner is a good program for removing clutter from your system and browsers. Kaspersky Software Updater or an updater in general is a good idea to prevent exploits. Maybe get some cloud clients for backups.. I use PCloud, MEGA, Dropbox, and Google Drive. I would recommend making a thread here. Security Configuration Wizard That's my take. :)

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Useful suggestions above, I wanted to add that you can install a good backup software like Macrium or use Windows default tool to create an image of your system partition that includes your final complete software configuration.
When you are in need to restore your PC, just a few minutes and you will be operating.

Jogos

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Apr 9, 2017
I need browser with Google Web Store Extensions download support.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Keep it simple by sticking what you're comfortable with, as there are thousands of combinations of software to pick and choose from. My suggestions are free to use and Ad-Free. Your preferred software, runs at your own risk.
  • *Use Windows Update to check for any updates and install
  • Open Windows Defender (on Windows 10) and Update, then Quick scan
  • Run Windows Disk Cleanup as administrator for C:\ partition and cleanup drive
  • *Run Windows Features to disable Internet Explorer - if you don't need it
  • Download your preferred Browser with Microsoft Edge
  • Add extensions to your browser, or login to sync settings
  • Unchecky.com is lightweight to protect against installer crapware
  • Get CCleaner Free (Portable or Slim build) - add to Context menu
  • Create a system image backup using Windows or preferred third-party software (ie. Macrium Reflect)
  • *Get O&O ShutUp10 to disable data collection in Windows 10 - may affect certain functionality/features
* May require you to restart Windows.

Use a Virtual Machine if u want to test softwares so the harm to the main OS will be minimized.
Sandboxie is a light, yet powerful alternative and without needing to download OS ISO files.

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
ExeWatch lets you know visually and audibly every time an executable comes on board; extremely light.

WinPatrol monitors your startup programs. Autoruns is a somewhat different program, not for running realtime, that you should also get.

In fact, get the Sysinternals Suite which also gives you Process Explorer, a great way to monitor your running processes.

Another fine free suite, having a huge number of lightweight programs, is NirLauncher. It includes BlueScreenView. Also get WhoCrashed for blue screens.

System Explorer is a good task manager with a toolbox of other goodies.

Glary Utlities gives you more than CCleaner.

MasterSeeker is the best file and folder search problem I've found. Love it! It has a shredding option.

The best registry search programs I've found are freewares Registry Finder and Registrar Registry Manager.

4K Dowloader grabs videos and audios other programs won't.

Jarte is a superior word processor.

ArsClip is a quite good clipboard manager.

Check downloads with Virus Total Scanner, or if it doesn't work, Virus Total Uploader.

HostsMan for managing your HOSTs file.

Get LastPass or something similar for Password manager/secure notes/autofills

Remember that virtually all the most prestigious paid AV companies offer on their websites free on-demand scanners that will use the same signatures as their premium products. Not all will actually remove what they find, but if they show you the problem, you can find another program that will or do it manually.

I recommend Revo, IObit, and Geek uninstallers, all three. One gets what the other misses.

EMCO MoveOnBoot for getting rid of stubborn files, FileShredder for irreversible deletion.

PeaZip for compressed files and for compressing files

Since you want a Chromium family browser, consider Comodo Dragon and SlimJet.

Last edited:

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Comes down to each user but here is a list on what I do when I freshly install an OS;
  1. Update the operating system to the latest version. (Which is 1703 (OS Build 15063.138))
  2. If not keeping with Windows Defender install antivirus of choice, (mine being Trend Micro).
  3. Update and configure Trend to what settings I use.
  4. Installed Chrome and Firefox (these browsers will be different for each user)
  5. I then head and download all drivers required for that system, i.e graphics driver, sound driver etc.
  6. I then start to install all the programs that I would normally need/use.
  7. Install 7 Zip, this will change from user to user.
  8. Install Light Shot.
  9. Install Google Drive.
  10. Install CCleaner and run a clean up through the program.
  11. Install Defraggler (same people that make CCleaner).
  12. I then run that over night and then that's it.
Most of this will change from user to user but this is a basic view on what I install. Yes I don't have any backup programs or stuff like that but for me it depends on why I'm using that system.

I currently had to redo 2 of my laptops in the house because I currently now use them for only watching Netflix and YouTube through the TV's in the house. I then have only one main machine I use for everything else, i.e my photography, gaming, Virtual Machine testing etc.

cheburash

Level 1
Apr 14, 2017
I would go for installing VMWare or VirtualBox, and creating a VM with some browsers, pdf readers etc, which you can use for general web browsing. The advantage is if you ever get infected by a drive by, you could just revert the VM back to a snapshot.

Reactions: conceptualclarity

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
I would go for installing VMWare or VirtualBox, and creating a VM with some browsers, pdf readers etc, which you can use for general web browsing. The advantage is if you ever get infected by a drive by, you could just revert the VM back to a snapshot.
In order to create snapshots you need VMware Workstation otherwise VirtualBox (free).

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.