Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
NIS 2011 vs CIS 5?

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
Norton Sonar (behavior blocker) and the firewall are automatic. Norton Insight (whitelists files based on reputation) might pop-up from time to time and ask questions but those easy to understand. NIS offers good protection for every user, experienced or not.
CIS's main strengh is Defence+ - a powerfull HIPS module - but as any HIPS application, it produces pop-ups that are hard to understand (for novice users). With that being said, Comodo made big improvements with the white-lists and Defece+ pop-ups aren't that frequent anymore. In the hands of a user willing to learn a bit about HIPS, CIS offers great protection.

Pinkie

Feb 3, 2011
Agree whit Bogdan..
I'm using the COMODO Firewall and i have no major problems with the alerts.But I can understand why for a newbie D+ can become a nightmare.Hopefully COMODO will make CIS more and more userfriendly.
I've tried NIS and it's pretty good.

oOoMalware

Feb 9, 2011
The CIS alerts are not that many and the CIS user will see them only in special conditions(installing an unknown software , first use of CIS).
CIS is free and in my country money are a problem. So I will vote for CIS.
NIS isn't bad at all but like i've said you must pay for it.

Watasha

Feb 8, 2011
I use CIS not because it's free but because I think it's the best suite period. NIS may be more user friendly but the gap is rapidly closing with CIS hardly ever showing alerts on default these days. My sister is 10 and she can use Comodo, but I do hope to see them continue to improve the user friendliness as this is just about the only argument people can use against CIS these days. I will admit that I'm not a Symantec fan but I do hear NIS is a good product. CIS is just more secure by every example I've seen.

Linuxfever

Jan 11, 2011
CIS is more secure because his based on a HIPS.It's generally very hard to take down a PC which uses ,among others,a HIPS.Defense+ is a solid and fined tunned HIPS so yes it can offer a large degree of prevention.
And because of the HIPS , CIS can't be more userfriendly then NIS,however all this drama on CIS being hard to use is really annoying.
BTW I am a CIS user and I don't have any problems with it,however I can understand how some newbies might be confused on some alerts.

Pinkie

Feb 3, 2011
I've never tried CIS so I can't say that is bad or good.I will defently try it and get back to you.
I've used NIS 2011 , and man this product is good : light, easy to use and with a really high detection/prevention rate.Solid products.
Only one problem with him : The Price Tag. Not very cheap.

Linuxfever

Jan 11, 2011
Pinkie said:
I've never tried CIS so I can't say that is bad or good.I will defently try it and get back to you.
I've used NIS 2011 , and man this product is good : light, easy to use and with a really high detection/prevention rate.Solid products.
Only one problem with him : The Price Tag. Not very cheap.
Their are some ways you can get a NIS license for a discounted price : Amazon,eBay and others - http://www.amazon.com/Norton-Internet-Security-2010-1-User/dp/B002L7BR20/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297659243&sr=8-1
But before you go and buy it I would suggest that you try CIS.

Linuxfever

Jan 11, 2011
elliotcroft said:
I vote CIS all the way. It's just as user friendly in my opinion plus CIS uses a more secure HIPS rather than a flawed behaviour blocker.
Plus, it's free!
Yes , I agree a behavior blocker can't offer the same level of prevention as a HIPs,howeverNIS power dosen't came from the behavior blocker ,but from it's Insight Tehnology.

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
Linuxfever said:
elliotcroft said:
I vote CIS all the way. It's just as user friendly in my opinion plus CIS uses a more secure HIPS rather than a flawed behaviour blocker.
Plus, it's free!
Yes , I agree a behavior blocker can't offer the same level of prevention as a HIPs,howeverNIS power dosen't came from the behavior blocker ,but from it's Insight Tehnology.
The problem is, Internet explorer now has an integrated insight technology
and that's for free.

AyeAyeCaptain

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
I voted for CIS 5.3 over the NIS, NIS looks great from a GUI point of view, and has good detection rate but I feel prevention is better than the cure to be honest. I do agree that when HIPS comes up it can be confusing for some, but that rarely pops up unless switched to paranoid. It would be nice for it (DEF + alerts) when they do come up, to be more newbie friendly.... (is okay for me, but for the ultimate non-savvy they need it spelt out) and I'm sure this will happen as with every new release of CIS it's getting better all the time, you can really see how better the sandbox is coming along since it was first introduced, it's getting a more rounded/matured product and doing the job it's meant to do.

Although the AV part of CIS is ranked among the best, it still needs more work on it to compare to the likes of Symantec, but to be honest in my opinion that's all they got going for them.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Comodo and Symantec are two great vendors ,both managed to introduce some revolutionary ideas

Comodo - with the "Default Deny" concept.
Symantec - with the Insight Technology.

Kudos to them.

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
Jack said:
Yes.Sorry:D....anyway BluePoint just tried to copy Comodo's idea. :p
And did a bad job of it in my opinion.
They say Deny the unknown, but they ask you if you want to deny execution, plus they give you no information of what the program is, Comodo can achieve the same level of protection with a bigger whitelist by setting the sandbox security level to blocked.

Chiron

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
As we all know in the right hands CIS offers much higher protection than NIS.

That said, for users who will allow all alerts anyway then Norton would be the better choice.

It really all depends on how much hassle you're willing to put up with. Honestly, I don't think that CIS is difficult to use, after initially answering a few popups, but then again some users may see those popups as an unsurmountable obstacle.

There is no security software that is ever hands down better than all the rest. It's always a balancing act.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
CIS is for users that want to learn and who wants interact by taking decisions. you can configure CIS so that it's like other install and forget.

But if you belong to those that wants install and forget then Norton is the best choice.

Another good thing about CIS is that it have any annoying pop like Avast, Avg and other and Comodo has super forum as plus

It all depends how you want it.

Regards,
Valentin

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.