Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
What's better protecting a PC according to you? In both situations UAC, and Windows Smartscreen are supposed to be enabled and Standard Account used. In the case of the MS product Windows firewall is supposed to be enabled to.
Norton has a lot of negative reviews by users and Microsoft too. Of course in general Norton is said to better but I thought it's a good idea to create this thread.

D

Deleted member 178

it depend what you look for:

performance or protection or install & forget (for the average user)

Performance: Win
Protection: NIS
Install & Forget: Win

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Since free version like Windows Defender 8 provides simple yet effective protection with ease to use thus its suitable for all users however that's different for Smartscreen filter since mainly focused from web based threats.

Norton since paid version have all the components needed, the protection may guaranteed better than free but varies.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Windows for effective protection and ease of use and best of all it's free.Norton will provide better protection but that comes at a cost.If your willing to pay the price then give it a try before you buy.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
From what I've heard and read Windows Defender 8 can be quite good, with the Windows Firewall.

D

Deleted member 178

McLovin said:
From what I've heard and read Windows Defender 8 can be quite good, with the Windows Firewall.

yes it is; i put it on my girlfriend laptop and my tablet; not yet infected.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Found the thread I was looking for (2011),
http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Security-software-can-reduce-effectiveness-of-DEP-ASLR

Using McAfee or Symantec (of those tested in the article) software can reduce the effectiveness of Windows own DEP/ASLR protection methods, increasing the surface of vulnerability - from what I understand.

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Earth said:
Found the thread I was looking for (2011),
http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Security-software-can-reduce-effectiveness-of-DEP-ASLR

Using McAfee or Symantec (of those tested in the article) software can reduce the effectiveness of Windows own DEP/ASLR protection methods, increasing the surface of vulnerability - from what I understand.

This seems to be important..!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.