Status
Not open for further replies.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Over and over again these polls are made and the answers are going to be the same. It's going to come down to personal opinion. Why not just do the research yourself and test yourself to find out what you really like?

P

Plexx

MrExplorer said:
Which one will win overall.

Based on what Criteria?

As others have said, this topic has been scattered around in the war room.

But anyways, here it goes:

Norton Internet Security (Versions 2012/2013):
+Works out of the box - Default settings are fine
+Decent features
+Decent Prevention
+Decent Detection rate
+SONAR (double edged sword)
+Decent Scan Speed
+Idle RAM usage is decent
+User friendly GUI
+System responsiveness whilst in scanning mode is fine
+Bug fixes are prioritized
+Decent Removal capabilities
+Decent support (Customer Service)
+Support via Official forums exists

-Updates can be slow at times depending on Internet connection
-False positives rate rather high due to SONAR and its core mechanics
-Some protection modules need to be reworked
-Firewall module is sub-par to free alternatives
-Big Client Download size plus Initial update (Installers do not always have near up to date updates incorporated)

BitDefender Internet Security (Versions 2012/2013):
+Auto Pilot mode feature (double edged sword)
+Works out of the box - Default settings are fine
+User friendly GUI
+Excellent detection rate
+Sandbox module
+Idle RAM usage is decent
+Support via Official forums exists

-Auto Pilot mode features can make zero day protection modules allow infections (based on my tests)
-Extremely slow scan speed
-Removal capabilities are mediocre
-Zero day protection needs to be worked at
-Bug fixes do not seem prioritized and critical bugs are not deployed accordingly
-Far from good support (Customer Service)
-System responsiveness whilst in scanning mode is is affected
-Updates can be a nightmare. They do provide offline update signatures but released every week only.
-Big Client Download size plus Initial update (Installers do not always have near up to date updates incorporated)

Eset Smart Security (Versions 5/6):

+Decent features
+Decent Prevention if properly tweaked
+Good Detection rate
+Fast Scan Speed
+User friendly GUI
+System responsiveness whilst in scanning mode is fine
+Few bugs during a product version
+Decent support (Customer Service)
+Decent Client Download size
+Signature updates are fast

-Default settings must to be changed, specifically in its Zero day module (HIPS: default settings Automatic mode which follow rules, if none exist, it will allow. Only 1 rule is set by default and its to allow system drivers to load).
-Zero day protection (HIPS) has flaws: Aside from above mentioned Automatic mode, Interactive mode also has flaws.
-Complicated to tweak some settings without decent documentation in its KB (Knowledge Base) files (HIPS is a prime example, specially when editing and creating a new rule)
-Idle RAM usage is high (on some systems going over 100k in version 6)
-Removal capabilities need to be improved
-Firewall module is sub par to free alternatives
-Bug fixes take some time to be deployed
-Support via Official forums (Wilders Security) is a hit and miss at times.

In regards to Lightness/I/O/CPU & RAM spikes, note that overall, different systems will have different results.

That should sum up Pros and Cons for the above 3 solutions.

P

Plexx

exterminator20 said:
I thought January was a MalwareTips No Poll Month :s So I didnt vote

I couldn't vote due to not being able to find a reason to do so.

Listing the Pros and Cons in my opinion was enough:)

PS: did tell you about a dejavu didn't I?

Crystal ball said so...

Payback

Verified
Jan 7, 2013
I am sorry,Bio. But,Sonar gives more false-positive (means more detection ratio to unused files,also SONAR means total kill for malware when we first try to open it),and I thought NIS have beyond "great" detection ratio? Please correct me if I am wrong? I'll go better check NIS on my VM after reading your post to make sure about my thoughts over Norton's detection ratio.

D

Deleted member 178

Norton with Smart Definition turn-on : low rate, why? because Norton focuses now on prevention, and let SONAR do the job.
Norton with Smart Definition turn-off : higher rate but updates are bigger since all signatures are downloaded.

P

Plexx

Payback said:
I am sorry,Bio. But,Sonar gives more false-positive (means more detection ratio to unused files,also SONAR means total kill for malware when we first try to open it),and I thought NIS have beyond "great" detection ratio? Please correct me if I am wrong? I'll go better check NIS on my VM after reading your post to make sure about my thoughts over Norton's detection ratio.

I shall quote myself:
+SONAR (double edged sword)

-False positives rate rather high due to SONAR and its core mechanics

In other words, it a feature that can be considered Pro as well as it's downfall being a Con at the same time.

MrExplorer

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
Umbra Corp. said:
Norton with Smart Definition turn-on : low rate, why? because Norton focuses now on prevention, and let SONAR do the job.
Norton with Smart Definition turn-off : higher rate but updates are bigger since all signatures are downloaded.

What are Smart Updates in Norton.

Reactions: Logethica

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.