Serious Discussion No More Kaspersky in US !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Apr 21, 2016
Thanks for sharing the link. It seems the US government is concerned about potential ties between Kaspersky and Russia. This could have significant implications for users and businesses relying on Kaspersky's software.

• Love
Reactions: Behold Eck

Jonny Quest

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
Does this ban the sale to individuals as well?
I couldn't find that either, but it only sounds like it's about businesses? But that ban has been in force for awhile, if I'm remembering correctly. So I'm not sure the US Kaspersky home user online store will be up and running or shut down?
The new restrictions on inbound sales of Kaspersky software, which will also bar downloads of software updates, resales and licensing of the product, kick in on Sept. 29, 100 days after publication, to give businesses time to find alternatives. New U.S. business for Kaspersky will be blocked 30 days after the restrictions are announced.
Under the new rules, sellers and resellers who violate the restrictions will face fines from the Commerce Department. If someone willfully violates the prohibition, the Justice Department can bring a criminal case. Software users will not face legal penalties but will be strongly encouraged to stop using it.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
I couldn't find a definitive answer, but even if it doesn't, you're still not going to want to continue using it:
will also bar downloads of software updates
So at minimum any vulnerabilities found in Kaspersky software won't receive patches, and presumably won't receive signature updates anymore.

kailyn

Level 2
Jun 6, 2024
It is supposed to be a complete ban of not just sales but also usage.

How it will be implemented and tracked is not yet determined. More importantly, how the US government will police it and punish those that violate the federal rule(s) also remains to be seen. The US agency that is designated oversight for the rule(s) will largely determine how things shall be done. For example the Federal Trade Commission, the Department of State, and the Department of Commerce all do things differently.

Should the ban designate certain actions - such as ignoring or circumventing the ban - as criminal actions then users and companies will get visits from law enforcement. Theoretically, the revealing of secrets because you are running banned Kaspersky that grabbed files from your system - you could be charged under National Security laws. Then nobody can help you.

What I am guessing is that the US and other nations will use their ability to lock, seize, block or otherwise impede banking\payment platforms\money flows for Kaspersky until it voluntarily just stops selling or making Kaspersky products available in the US or elsewhere.

The US and European governments have intelligence regarding Kaspersky that they are not sharing openly. Nations that enact such restrictions do not do it lightly. It's not just about politics. When import or product bans are made, there are rather large economic consequences which translates into a lot of their own citizens\people losing their jobs. A ban of Kaspersky in the US will result in thousands losing their jobs and that has a negative economic impact that ripples throughout an industry. The US and other governments are not taking actions against Russian, Chinese, and other companies based in different countries on a whim.

Eugene should just completely relocate his business. I think he tried but the Russian government required him to keep a presence within its borders. Even if he relocated HQ and all major operation centers to the US, I think there would still be unresolved security concerns. For one, most of this is not about the software products themselves. It is about all the people that work within the Kaspersky empire.

A lot of Eugene's leaders and most capable personnel are all ex-KGB, FSB or other intelligence and counterintelligence agencies. So it has been argued that it does not matter where he relocates the company, which is of course, accurate. Relocation alone will not prevent the things that are a security vulnerability.

This is all publicly discussed many times in a bunch of different places.

cartaphilus

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2023
It is supposed to be a complete ban of not just sales but also usage.

How it will be implemented and tracked is not yet determined. More importantly, how the US government will police it and punish those that violate the federal rule(s) also remains to be seen. The US agency that is designated oversight for the rule(s) will largely determine how things shall be done. For example the Federal Trade Commission, the Department of State, and the Department of Commerce all do things differently.

Should the ban designate certain actions - such as ignoring or circumventing the ban - as criminal actions then users and companies will get visits from law enforcement. Theoretically, the revealing of secrets because you are running banned Kaspersky that grabbed files from your system - you could be charged under National Security laws. Then nobody can help you.

What I am guessing is that the US and other nations will use their ability to lock, seize, block or otherwise impede banking\payment platforms\money flows for Kaspersky until it voluntarily just stops selling or making Kaspersky products available in the US or elsewhere.

The US and European governments have intelligence regarding Kaspersky that they are not sharing openly. Nations that enact such restrictions do not do it lightly. It's not just about politics. When import or product bans are made, there are rather large economic consequences which translates into a lot of their own citizens\people losing their jobs. A ban of Kaspersky in the US will result in thousands losing their jobs and that has a negative economic impact that ripples throughout an industry. The US and other governments are not taking actions against Russian, Chinese, and other companies based in different countries on a whim.

Eugene should just completely relocate his business. I think he tried but the Russian government required him to keep a presence within its borders. Even if he relocated HQ and all major operation centers to the US, I think there would still be unresolved security concerns. For one, most of this is not about the software products themselves. It is about all the people that work within the Kaspersky empire.

A lot of Eugene's leaders and most capable personnel are all ex-KGB, FSB or other intelligence and counterintelligence agencies. So it has been argued that it does not matter where he relocates the company, which is of course, accurate. Relocation alone will not prevent the things that are a security vulnerability.

This is all publicly discussed many times in a bunch of different places.
Don't worry, it's a Biden based ruling even though it was started during Trump Era. The far right and republicans will not see it as being started during their reign they will just see that it's being passed by Biden. So I would expect massive backlash from the capitol hill about this. Texas will most likely still allow Kaspersky because it would go against Biden.

There is no such thing as National Security anymore, there is just US vs Them.

kailyn

Level 2
Jun 6, 2024
Don't worry, it's a Biden based ruling even though it was started during Trump Era. The far right and republicans will not see it as being started during their reign they will just see that it's being passed by Biden. So I would expect massive backlash from the capitol hill about this. Texas will most likely still allow Kaspersky because it would go against Biden.

There is no such thing as National Security anymore, there is just US vs Them.

1718911273851.png

Attachments

• 1718911234689.png
    1718911234689.png
    93.2 KB · Views: 20

kailyn

Level 2
Jun 6, 2024
Now my question is: The businesses that use Checkpoint Harmony w/ Kaspersky engine....will that also be blocked?
Probably not. Checkpoint does not upload files on a user's system to Kaspersky servers under the control of, accessible by, or within the jurisdiction of the Russian Federation.

Israel-based security researchers - both civilian and military - are one of the primary sources regarding security vulnerabilities introduced by using Kaspersky products.

CyberDevil

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Apr 4, 2021
Eugene should just completely relocate his business.
Eugene Kaspersky - graduated from the KGB academy, worked in a research institute under the USSR Ministry of Defense.

Andrei Tikhonov, Executive Director - Lieutenant Colonel in foreign intelligence (Kaspersky claims he was not in foreign intelligence, but in air defense)

Alexei Kuzyaev, Head of Security Service - former FSB officer (Kaspersky claims that he served in the USSR KGB Border Troops in the 1980s and graduated with the rank of junior sergeant).

Igor Chekunov, Director of Legal Affairs - former KGB officer (according to Kaspersky, he did his compulsory service in the Border Troops, which were subordinate to the USSR State Security Committee).

Mikhail Pribochiy, (!Former) Managing Director in Russia - a graduate of the FSB Academy

And I would also add that even if you look at the official website About Management Team | Kaspersky | Kaspersky there is not a single foreign employee in the main management team, which confirms the information about the unspoken ban of foreign employees in the management from one of the Russian publications.

Do you really think that these people can move their business to another country?

kailyn

Level 2
Jun 6, 2024
Do you really think that these people can move their business to another country?
As I stated, relocation alone will not be enough due to the top leadership of Kaspersky all being ex-KGB, FSB, and other intelligence agencies.

The "drama" about Kaspersky has been happening from both ends - the Russian Federation and western nations. Russia accused, prosecuted, convicted, and sentenced Kaspersky or ex-Kaspersky employees for treason. They were declared to be "Enemies of the [Russian] State" by Russian government agencies.

Those that insist US and other countries actions is malicious purely on the basis of ideology, economics, or about anything other than security concerns is probably either completely ignorant or willfully ignorant.

"Stoyanov and Mikhailov "were known for one thing: both were middlemen," said Andrei Soldatov [former Kaspersky employee], an investigator and expert on Russia's security agencies. "Mikhailov -- between the Russian secret service and Western cyber law enforcement. Stoyanov -- a middleman between Western/Russian cyber law enforcement and the private sector."

"That made them uniquely positioned to be in a crosspoint of the most sensitive information in all cyberthings," he told RFE/RL in a text message."

cartaphilus

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2023

View attachment 283897
Well damn, I will eat my words. Honestly, I can't believe it. I have seen some things that really make me scratch my head living in TX but, Texas actually did something against Russia and China? Well I be darn.

Last edited:

cartaphilus

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2023
I hope this doesn't go through, I sure hope the war will end, and that Kaspersky might be justified as a neutral product
Kaspersky is not being ostracized because of the war, however the war does not help their cause. Kaspersky has been on DHS radar officially since 2015, and in 2017-18 (I believe), Kaspersky has been banned from any Federal IT system. All of this under the allegation of spying and data exfiltration.

Who knows if it's true or not. Personally, if I want to find any spyware on my system that has been planted by the US intel agency then I will use Kaspersky, if I want to find any that's been planted by Russian Intel I would use Norton, McAffee or ESET etc etc etc. But that's just me being me. I wrap my tinfoil hat with a layer of tinfoil.

I haven't purchased a Kaspersky product since 2010, and I boycott them because of the war. But honestly, just because of this event I might invest in a sub $10 lic just so we don't go gently into this good night.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.